Irresponsible hunters

Discussion in 'Turf and Surf Hunting and Fishing' started by Hanzo, Jan 8, 2023.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

We walk around the surrounding of our little homestead all the time. A month or two ago, we found a goat carcass about a mile or so away. Last week, a freshly killed pig carcass with just a piece cut off. Today, in the same area, we see the carcass decomposing and a slightly fresher one.

What a waste to leave so much meat behind. And a shame. There are a lot of pigs, sheep, goats, chicken, etc roaming around. And I am all for hunter, fishing and gathering. Don’t kill an animal for fun and waste the meat and its life.

Couple of wallows.

More game trails than I can count. Wasted meat.

jim2, GrayGhost, Kamp Krap and 7 others like this.
  2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

People hunting for themselves and not the community. Exactly what will happen when SHTF for those outside the tribe. Forget the old ways and you will perish.

GrayGhost, Kamp Krap, Hanzo and 4 others like this.
  3. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I agree ,, it should be against the law to not harvest the whole animal when hunting .

jim2, GrayGhost, Kamp Krap and 6 others like this.
  4. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

In most States, it is. Poachers don't generally follow the law and I would guess that those that Hanzo referred to were poachers.

GrayGhost, 3cyl, Kamp Krap and 7 others like this.
  5. Kamp Krap

Kamp Krap Monkey++

Used to be people would check their deer at the station a couple of miles away, then drive to the end of our dead end road and cut the head and cape off and dump the rest of the deer on the edge of my property. I complained about it to DNR and a game warden started setting up shop a bit back in the woods recording and popping out to write tickets. Got 18 one morning and 13 more the next morning on one of the weekend gun seasons. I didn't make many friends with the locals that year but there has not been a headless deer corpse dumped down there since that year. The year before was a warm winter and all rotting deer carcasses stunk to high heaven on the prevailing SW breeze! And Cost me time and fuel to dig a pit to push that stinking, bloated mess into. Not to mention a total waste of perfectly good meat. Odds are the same people just found a different place to dump the carcasses :( One time I did not mind helping the State generate some revenue.

sasquatch91, jim2, GrayGhost and 6 others like this.
  6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I've put the bones from 2 deer this season down by a slough on the west corner of the property.
    Yep next day a buzzard fight, They and the bobcats and everything else do a good job of picking off the trimmings.

GrayGhost, Hanzo, Dunerunner and 2 others like this.
  7. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

I personally detest such practices. A few years ago I was in Austin driving past some apartment buildings and saw a buck in a dumpster with just the back strap and hams removed. I was furious, but no tag was attached to the antlers (decent rack). People like this should be banned from hunting for life.

Jim

Gator 45/70 and Hanzo like this.
  8. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

The road kill from the field rats here is 2 a week , at least .
    The girls at the ranch/farm can dress out one in no time . I get the leftovers in a plastic garbage can with no plastic etc, Native bros who harvest prawn & shrimp that they and drop in for bait , as with crabs .. I get SEE FOOD
    S

Hanzo, jim2 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

My motto if I'm not going to eat it I don't shot it, IMO anyone caught doing the above cited waste of game should have hunting licenses revoked ---life time.

Hanzo, jim2 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Dad taught us that if we shot it we were to eat it. Grandma would clean and cook anything we brought home. Dad also warned us that cats were stringy. I've never wanted to find out.

Hanzo, Gator 45/70, jim2 and 2 others like this.
  11. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

My respect for some one drops when I see them shooting small birds or lizards (anything that moves) knowing they are not going to eat them.
    Some places require that you give the locals the meat.
    Seems to me that it might be that post SHTF locals will guard their hunting ground.

12. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I just came in from the back, Pit bull chasing the donkey.
    Little boy chasing the pit, along comes a lil girl but she splits to go get maw and paw.
    Donkey is freaking and kicks the snot otta the damn pit and takes off to the other end of the pasture
    Pit takes off to the other end and I'm calling the land/donkey owner.
    Lil boy is frozen at the gate, I'm like get in here and catch this dog.
    Property/donkey owner comes running in shorts and redwings caring serious heat.
    Donkey kicks the snot otta the pit and it ends up in the pond?
    Land owner yells for the kid to get into the action or he's going to shoot the pit...???
    I'm like damn man don't shoot the dog.in front of a kid..
    at any rate we run it down the fence line and the kid grabs the mofo.
    I get a leash on the pit, Owner shows up warns the boy that he will shoot his dog if he can't keep it under control and off his property.
    At any rate I tell' 'Jim'' glad he was home because I'm too old for this crap...lol
    Time for some sipping whisky, Fin

Cruisin Sloth, Zimmy, SB21 and 2 others like this.
  13. sasquatch91

sasquatch91 Monkey+++

3 deer almost get me through untill next deer season. I eat alot of deer! Cant imagine wasting it.

Zimmy, SB21, CraftyMofo and 2 others like this.
  14. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

I hunted with a guy last year good guy we were walking a road and I seen a boar walking out of the woods at about 80 yards I told the guy and he said can I shoot it I said yeah if you want he shoots it and also what are we going to do with it I said bits yours what would you do with it he then tells me he has never killed anything before I said you clean it and eat it he did not know how so I showed him how and he made sausage out of it you shoot it you eat it

15. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

Deer season opens early on SC Aug 15 and runs to Jan 1. May be open but its to damn hot and the mosquitos will eat you alive.

Gator 45/70, CraftyMofo and Hanzo like this.
  16. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Good to see you, How you faired the storm?

Bishop, CraftyMofo and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  17. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

I made out well no damage to my property

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I miss hunting :(. Been trying to get in with a couple of groups locally but being the introvert I am, it's hard for me to socialize sometimes.
    I've seen hunters take the backstraps and leave the rest on deer, that pisses me off to waste so much good meat. I get it if you don't like the other cuts, but give the rest to another hunter or Hunters for the Hungry, just don't let it go to waste.

Gator 45/70 and CraftyMofo like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7