Is Earl Grey tea? For those who don't want it to be.

Discussion in 'Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions' started by chelloveck, Feb 9, 2012.

1. weegrannymush

weegrannymush Monkey+

Chello, I love you! You are a one-man riot (oxymoron?)! I lived for almost 20 years with my Wee Scots Grannie and my Mum (Dad too, but he was "regular" so doesn't count in this post) who both suffered badly from constipation. Senna Pods were the laxative of choice (after years of Mineral Oil which had belatedly been found to inhibit the absorption of vitamins and minerals into the body). EVERY night their cups of senna pods were left to steep till good and strong. Heaven help us if we ran out of the blasted things....I had to go post-haste to Napier's the Herbalist (very famous store, still exists) to pick up their precious "fix". I was forcibly dosed with it a few times myself as a child and I can tell you it tastes awful! Like Buckley's Cough Syrup, haha, and like the Syrup, it works!

Two other things we used very frequently were Friar's Balsam (for colds and stuffy noses) and Gregory's Mixture (for nausea). I think from the names of these medicines, that they were probably in existence since the days of the monasteries. Fascinating to think about that!

Chello, with your great erudition and wisdom, can you tell me why it is that I cannot write a SHORT post? Am I guilty of verbal diarrhea (I am not trolling, haha, we are on topic!) or what? Actually, you are not much of a short poster yourself, come to think of it, lol!

chelloveck and RightHand like this.
  2. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I have my special Sunday morning tea ritual - a freshly brewed pot take I take back to bed with me on a tray with a few sweet rolls that I enjoy with the morning paper. In summer, I take it all outside and have my moments in the morning sun. EG is a morning favorite along with English Breakfast blended with a little orange pekoe.

When my daughter was a teen, she spent a summer in Europe and returned with many different teas she bought for me in London (I also got a beautiful hand carved nutcracker from Switzerland since I collect them.)

During the week, I use good old Lipton, 3 bags to a large cup, strong with a touch of sugar or honey. I keep a box in my truck so I'm never without.

chelloveck and weegrannymush like this.
  3. oth47

oth47 Monkey+

All this talk about tea and the same on another forum made me want to sample the Lapsang Souchong again.I'm thinking of you,Chello,while I inhale this deep smoky aroma and let the complex flavors roll across my tongue..:)

chelloveck likes this.
  4. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

I prefer chai but I like Earl Grey when I need a change of pace. I cannot stand green tea, though I had some absolutely amazing teas while in Asia. I wish I'd bought a bunch while I was there. No clue what they were, but they were as beautiful as they were tasty.

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Dunno where you were in Asia, but I was in Singapore for a couple years. Had some tea that my local counterpart said was finely ground dried cockroach. Tasted OK, better than chai. I think he was, uh, testing me ----. Anyway, nothing that walks, crawls, swims or flies is safe in Asia.

Seawolf1090 and chelloveck like this.
  6. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Acquired Tastes

Starvation will do that to people. They learn to acquire the taste for it in the lean times of necessity, and it becomes a gourmet standard for the good times. You go for fugu??? Now, that's something to numb the taste buds! (and you permanently if you have a crappy fugu chef). ; )

7. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

MANY products are different between the US and Europe - Chocolate, Coffee, Tea, Cola drinks. Different sweeteners in some cases.

8. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

When I was young we had friends over who were from England. I still remember my sister and I laughing and laughing because the Mrs put milk in her tea! After a big smile and invitation to try it myself, I've never stopped drinking my tea with milk - it's the best :^)

weegrannymush likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7