Is it Planting Season Yet?

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by Gator 45/70, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Man,I don't know if spring is early this year or not, Been seeing trees budding out,flowers coming to bloom,Grass's growing etc.
    So the wife and I got the fever today and bought several trees and bushes plus some things that grow on vines and make grapes.
    Put in peach,apple, pear, plum trees today
    Along with hazlenut and blueberry bushes.
    Have blackberry vines flowering up to!
    Also some muskedine vines.
    If the heavy rains holds off I'm going to put in some orange,lemon or lime trees this year.
    What are the rest of you people planning to plant?

Motomom34, chelloveck and sec_monkey like this.
  2. Oltymer

Oltymer Monkey++

The daffodils were blooming here in East Tennessee the first week of February, and the willow trees were putting out leaves, 3 weeks before the old norm, but the same as last year, and we had a hard freeze April 17th, 2018, so I won't be starting any seed inside the house for a month yet.

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  3. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Daffodils are up here in the PNW, too... Still, not warm enough for starts.

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  4. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

My flowering bushes and trees are blossoming early. We had a couple nights down into the thirties, then it warmed and rained. Everything thinks spring has sprung!
    But..... March usually brings one final late freeze, knocking all the blossoms off! We will see.

oldman11, Oltymer and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Not in the mitten. Ground is frozen to about a foot down. Then we have about 2 inches of ice. Topped off with a foot of snow with a crust of ice.

Some time in may. Unless there really is global warming then april.

oldman11 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I'm waiting on oldman11 to put the potatoes in the ground, Can't hardly wait!!!

chelloveck and oldman11 like this.
  7. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Got a Baker Creek catalog and am considering what to put in.. Started reminding the rabbit gal to bring in dropping for the garden.. Is that close enough to starting or just a bit premature?? Can't plant till May or so..

oldman11 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

It's spring in FLA

9. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

if we follow the logic of the poles flipping we can expect more erratic weather..... so this questions becomes critical as the years go by. Here in phoenix we have two seasons, Jan thru about June and August thru fall veggies in November or December. we don't grow anything much in the heat of the summer.

Gator 45/70, chelloveck and oldman11 like this.
  10. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

The poles may flip but the axial tilt and wobble continues as it has always done.

Ganado and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

Too wet here to do anything,the old people planted Irish potatoes the first Monday after valentine.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Had to mow the lawn(weed patch) two days ago. Rarely have to do that this early. I will welcome with open arms the first hunnert degree day! I ain't a winter time guy myself.

chelloveck and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. BlueDuck

BlueDuck Monkey+++

2 feet of snow in my yard. High of 27 degrees and a low of 6. I think it will be a while around here.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

It snowed last night and more is coming. I don't think spring is close yet. It's 19 out right now.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

It has been a wet one this year,Cou-zan is in the market for a 5ft Lands Pride tiller or perhaps even a 4ft one at the right price naturally, Keep me in mind if you run across one!!!

16. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Is it Planting Season Yet?!?!?! Sure, right after I shovel off the 4+ feet of snow in the garden... The wife has started her tomatoes and a few others using grow-lights in the house though...

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  17. sdr

sdr Monkey++

I have onions and garlic coming up. Been dry here in central Colorado. I've been getting the fever to start planting something. Never had much luck growing potatoes. Wonder if I should start them soon?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

Warm enough in East Texas but too wet. Potatoes would rot.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  1. Ganado
    I love these [IMG]
    Thread by: Ganado, Mar 8, 2019, 8 replies, in forum: The Green Patch
  2. Dunerunner
  3. ditch witch
  4. tacmotusn
  5. mrghostwalker
  6. natshare
  7. Dunerunner
  8. pearlselby
  9. chelloveck
  10. Ganado
  11. chelloveck
  12. ghrit
    Latest revision to growing zone maps....
    Thread by: ghrit, Jan 25, 2012, 5 replies, in forum: The Green Patch
  13. Resqdan
  14. Equilibrium
  15. SLugomist
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7