Is this a good solar panel for home use?

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by fl4848, Apr 26, 2022.

1. fl4848

fl4848 Monkey+

I am totally green to all of this. I'm not sure how I would calculate kwh usage. I downloaded the user manuals and installer handbooks for each piece of equipment. I was attempting to post url links, but it wouldn't let me for some reason. Also, the installers link didn't find any results for Massachusetts. Asked Schneider about this.

Thanks!

2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Power bill.

fl4848 likes this.
  3. fl4848

fl4848 Monkey+

I was thinking about calling a company to get the Schneider system installed. However, one of my concerns about doing this is, where does the information about the installation go? Is it logged into a Google or gov't database?

The first company that I called immediately asked my permission to allow google voice to record my voice and try to identify me. I immediately hung up. That was not a good sign.

4. BenP

BenP Monkey++

I'm sure one of the monkeys here can help you get going.

5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Try a different company.

fl4848 likes this.
  6. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

I use LG panels but I have a large whole home system

7. fl4848

fl4848 Monkey+

I contacted a business in Western Mass to discuss installation of Schneider solar system and they quoted me 35,000! :ROFLMAO:

I guess I'll have to take a DIY approach to this. Too bad about this full time job thing. Eats up a lot of time.

8. fl4848

fl4848 Monkey+

Were you able to set up this system yourself? DIY style?

9. fl4848

fl4848 Monkey+

Hi BenP,

So I think I might just go ahead and purchase the following equipment:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004HCHDZW/?tag=survivalmonke-20

Schneider System Control Panel for SW/XW+

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MV423ZE/?tag=survivalmonke-20

Does that look like the right stuff? Is there any other equipment that I should purchase while I'm at it?

I know I'll need a battery bank as well. Also, not sure why type of wires I should get. Also not sure what type of solar panels I'd need.

10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Wires? BIG Heavy Ones....

fl4848 likes this.
  11. fl4848

fl4848 Monkey+

Yes, I was actually just looking at those massive wires in BenP's image. I was hoping those wires came with the unit. Not sure what they are. If they're special solar panels wires or something.

12. BenP

BenP Monkey++

The wire came from Lowes, what you are seeing in the pictures is conduit, the wire is inside the conduit. but you have to match the wire and breaker size with the AMP load of what you are trying to accomplish. As an example if your charge controller can handle 60 AMPS you need a wire that can handle 60 AMPS and a 60 AMP breaker for your DC breaker box. I use THHN 6 Gauge between my major components inside the wiring closet. You probably need to buddy up with an electrician or find a monkey nearby that can come help you set it up some afternoon.

fl4848 likes this.
  13. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I built my Battery Bank Series/Parallel Cabling out Old Used Welding Cable, that I got from a buddy who owns a Welding Supply House… It was very Fine Wire 00 Copper Welding Cable, and I swagged the Lugs on, and then shrink wrapped the Lug to Wire connections with Red and Black colored Shrink wrap tubing…

fl4848 likes this.
  14. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

fl4848 likes this.
  15. fl4848

fl4848 Monkey+

16. Homer Simpson

Homer Simpson Monkey+++

Another "less expensive" source of fairly heave wire I learned about is the junkyard. Most of the Dodge and Chrysler cars have the battery in the trunk. Many GM cars have the battery under the back seat. The positive cable on these cars 10+ feet long, great for cutting in to shorter sections. Many times the cables can be has for little more than the scrap price of the copper. Probably not as fine or good as welding cable, but sometimes we have to work with what we can get.

fl4848 and CraftyMofo like this.
  17. fl4848

fl4848 Monkey+

Interesting! Good tip. Did not know that. I'm certainly not above junkyarding it.

I think I might just go ahead and purchase these units. Was listening to Mike Adams today and he said they're working on stopping shipping altogether. Might need to get it while the getting's good.

18. fl4848

fl4848 Monkey+

OK. Just went all in and snatched these guys:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004HCHDZW/?tag=survivalmonke-20
    Schneider System Control Panel for SW/XW+
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MV423ZE/?tag=survivalmonke-20

Could someone inform me on what else I need for this setup? Which wires should I get? Do I need a conduit? (Not even sure what a conduit is to be honest.) What kind of solar panels should I get? What kind of brackets do I need to put them onto the roof? Thanks so much for your help Survival Monkeys!!

19. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

20. fl4848

fl4848 Monkey+

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7