It’s time to stock up on ammunition

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Yard Dart, Apr 1, 2016.

1. zombierspndr

zombierspndr Monkey

I'm not amongst the ohno crowd, for sure. Neither am I foolish enough to believe item "x" will always be readily available. As an example, I have bought maybe six bulk packs of .22 in the last 3-4 years....yet i have somewhere around 25k of it on the shelf. :D

Yard Dart likes this.
  2. marlas1too

marlas1too Monkey+++

[​IMG]

oldawg, zombierspndr, kellory and 2 others like this.
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

In Bush Alaska, it is "The Wild West" for Law Enforcement... The Alaska State Troppers are the Head of Law Enforcement, and they like the Sheriffs of Old, live in the Big Towns, and rarely are seen in the bush, unless called in, to Police up a Body, Conduct a SAR, or investigate a Crime, ALL, AFTER THE FACT.... We have to be our own First Responders, and provide our own Security.... Towns & Villages may, or may not have local LEOs, or VPSOs. (village Public Safety Officers... UnArmed) but ALL these Officers must be Certified by the State Trooper Academy Certification, in order to be Employed. The ONLY Elected and Chief Law Enforcement Officer in Alaska, is the Governor... He Appoints the Attorney General, Commisioner of Public Safety, and Adjutant General of the National Guard... With the advice and consent of the State Senate. We see our local Trooper, (who is a Fish & Wildlife Trooper) usually once or twice a year. His Primary Responcibility Is Fish & Game, but he is still a State Trooper, with all the LE Powers... There was a fellow in a town about 30 miles away, that beat up his wife... and the Town Council bought him a Ticket on the Bush Plane, and told him NEVER to show his face in Town, again... That was almost a year ago... Got a Phonecall from the Trooper Detachment A Sargent, last week, looking for this Yahoo... And if we see him, to contact Det A, Directly.... Sounds like they have a Arrest Warrant out for the Jerk... Couldn't happen to a nicer Guy....

4. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

Since I don't live near any of these stores, it does me no good to get the sales for them. If I was within 20 miles of them, OK, sure, but I'm not. Will send that to others in case they are.

AD1 likes this.
  5. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

I went 2 weeks without power, water or heat and that is mild for Mother Nature.

I have a fair amount of 22RF for small game and pests. 22RF is fun; however, personally I prefer CF.

AD1 likes this.
  6. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

As an example, I have bought maybe six bulk packs of .22 in the last 3-4 years....

Bbut do you have kids who like to shoot them up?;)

AD1 likes this.
  7. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

When ammo was inexpensive, I made that mistake with grandson. I gave him a battle pack. Now, all he wants to shoot is the ARs.

8. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

lol....

9. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Even worse, he now claims it is his AR. :) He fired an AK-74 at 7 or 8 years old. At 20, he could cut a Hosta or tiger lily stem at 20-30 yards with a RWS Diana M48 with a Leapers 3-9.

Teach our children well..

10. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Guns? Ammo? You guys are into that sorta thing here? I thought this was the good American that listens to the gubmint and keeps his head in the sand forums. There's no need for guns. We can call the police if we have a problem. I'm certainly glad I never spent my hard earned money on all those silly guns and piles of ammunition! It left me with lots more cash to give to the United Way!

oldawg and AD1 like this.
  11. zombierspndr

zombierspndr Monkey

I can't imagine being without those things for 2 weeks due to....anything...other than tent/hammock camping. Unless my house, shop, and vehicles are destroyed by a tornado(last one missed by a few miles), I have all those covered several times over. Even if it did, the chances of it also getting all of the rest of my family or the wife's family in the area are quite slim.

Never said I didn't have, or shoot CF. I have more than enough of that too. If I don't, the Dillon 650 or one of the other presses produces more.

My boy(6) isn't nearly as inclined to shooting as I was at his age.[dunno] I spent a lot of time at our ponds as a kid shooting down lily pad stalks, snakes, turtles, etc.. His rifle being a single shot slows consumption down quite a bit too. He's pretty small for his age, and even his Chipmunk rifle is slightly too big for him. I need to cut the stock down and haven't gotten around to it yet. Probably ought to build his AR too...the lower was purchased while he was still in the womb. :) As small as he is though, I don't know if he is strong enough to hold up a carbine. Conveniently, I had a friend laser engrave it with trust info at the time of purchase, so he might have an SBR as his first rifle. He flew a kite with his grandpa today while momma and I worked on a chicken coop.

My point in the original post is simply that the time to stock up on anything ain't when someone starts the "might be a shortage" BS, it's well before. It's highly unlikely that it will be cheaper next week/month/year than it is today. Buy an extra box of "X" every time you're in the store and eventually you'll amass a sizable quantity. If it's on sale, buy 2 or 3 extra boxes.

Witch Doctor 01 and AD1 like this.
  12. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Snickers at that post!!!!
    Murica!!! [YD]

AD1 likes this.
  13. zombierspndr

zombierspndr Monkey

I lost most of mine in a tragic water skiing accident.... :(

oldawg and Witch Doctor 01 like this.
  14. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@zombierspndr
    I buy in quality. The UPS guy gets a big grin and says it's heavy.

AFA, presses I have an old Herter's C press and a RCBS junior and senior from the 1970s. My first AK was a PolyTech Legend which might be older than you and cost $150. :) Except for Com Block steel case junk; I reload.

I don't play the silly I lost them all as the $$ amount is quite significant and with no insurance claim; that would make me quite the idiot. Or who is trying to kid who?

The Monkey is not a place where one will impress anyone. It is a fun place with even greater people sharing common interests.

@Yard Dart
    Oh please, you went well past snickers. BTW, Snickers is one of my favorite candy bars

Yard Dart, kellory and AD1 like this.
  15. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Charity begins at home. Take some of that excess cash and get some SCUBA gear== [ghrit]

Yard Dart likes this.
  16. zombierspndr

zombierspndr Monkey

UPS guy used to hate me. Haven't mail ordered any ammo in a long time though. I pretty well quit ordering when the cheap milsurp dried up.

AD1 and Yard Dart like this.
  17. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Did a partial inventory last night......need more ammo cans from CostCo ;)

image.

Yard Dart likes this.
  18. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

I overheard part of a conversation at a gun show this weekend where a guy was talking about how he's stacking .223 brass big time, expecting it to be worth gold come fall. I didn't hear more than that...anybody heard anything similar?

19. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

I saw something on my Amazon affilate order page where someone bought 25000 22 LR used cases...... To make 223 bullets? Never heard of it but they bought it off of my A link

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B010UNHZDG/?tag=survivalmonke-20

To the point of brass being valuable, I save EVERYTHING I shoot and more. If at an indoor range, I "sweep" (kind of) the area in front of my station then when I am done shooting, I grab the squeege or broom and sweep back my brass and about 2 more feet out into the pile and take all of that home.

I have a Dillon 650XL with case feeder as well as a Square Deal B and a single stage RCBS Partner along with a Tumbler.

I have been collecting brass(fired and new), primers, powder and projectiles, for over 5 years. While I do reload (mostly pistol 9 & 40) i have dies for everything I own.

Good thing about AZ is that we are very dry here with low humidity so everything stores well.

3M-TA3 likes this.
  20. zombierspndr

zombierspndr Monkey

AD1: Yes, people swage 22 cal jackets from fired 22lr cases. A company named Corbin makes the tools. Pretty spendy.

AD1 likes this.
  1. T. Riley
  2. duane
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. Yard Dart
  5. Yard Dart
  6. fl4848
  7. Motomom34
  8. OldDude49
  9. oil pan 4
  10. Motomom34
  11. Yard Dart