It’s time to stock up on ammunition

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Yard Dart, Apr 1, 2016.

1. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

You should have a limit that you never go under. You should have at least 1000 rds for each rifle and pistol or revolver and 500 rds buck for your shotguns. At least 10000 rds .22 and maybe 500 rds squirrel shot for your shotguns. The only caliber I'm wanting in is the .17 hm2, I'm down to a little over 2000 rds hm2. Ammo is not going to go bad in a lifetime if cared for property and it's better to have than to want. Shoot a box,buy a box,that's simple. If ammo gets hard to get you will have those big babies crying they can't get any and something needs to be done when it's their own fault for not having any. Don't wait and be a cry baby,buy now.

BlueDuck, Gator 45/70, AD1 and 3 others like this.
  2. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

Yepper...when I hit my lower limit it's time to buy or get my butt on the reloading press. Same goes for reloading components, food, water...hell, everything we stack has an optimal "high" limit and a replenish "low" limit.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Kind of lost count per caliber /grain/bullet type/ each have their own purpose .
    Most all my practice is with air guns , cheaper to shoot and same trigger time.
    I miss gun smoke and the recoil, however I don't miss the hearing protection necessity.
    I make it a practice though to pick up a box of something when I'm in the shop.
    Never waste a trip.
    Buying ammo is like buying tools , you can store it indefinitely, and it will have pretty much the same value for a lifetime .

4. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

The bio-mechanics are the same. Plus it's fun. Firearms skills go stale faster than a piece of fresh bread sitting on the counter.
    Hitting an acorn at 20-25' with a pellet pistol is a decent challenge.

The problem is the price has increased radically. My RWS Diana has almost double since I bought it 7 years ago.

It's cheaper buying 200, 500 or 1000. I watch for sales and free shipping and buy in quantity.

HK_User likes this.
  5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Wow I didn't realize prices were so bad.
    I have a crate with 4,000 rounds of 22lr in it. When ammo prices get stupid again I should put the crate on sale on fb for a completely insane among of money and see if there is any one stupid enough to pay what I want.
    Im thinking 600 to 700 minimum right around tax return season 2017.
    I hate to say it but I think hillery is going to get it.

6. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

And two months later let the stacking begin as sure enough people are out buying up more guns and more ammo.
    Armslist locally here was dead last 3 months really just here and there. The last two days 15 new post came up and may already sold.
    Ammo sales are out there get it why it cheap.

GOG and Yard Dart like this.
  7. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

The rifle I just bought a couple month ago is now 75.00 more expensive.

T. Riley and GOG like this.
  8. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Yeah, a bit more ammo and maybe a few mags as well.

9. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Mags will be banned before ammo, so that might be something to consider.

Yard Dart and GOG like this.
  10. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Remember how crazy the mag prices went right after sandyhook?
    Ok, I'm sorry to say, I'm one of those that headed over to brownells the moment I hear about the shooting in SH, and I'm talking minutes from when I heard it, and bought as many as I could afford in 10 / 20 / 30 rd configs.

I'm proud to say that I didn't sell them to a profit but sold them at my cost to those in my circle that were caught on the light side of mag qty and rebuild kits for them.

Prices have come back down to nearly the same prices but boy there were some people that really paid long dollar for what they felt they needed.

11. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

Lucky Gunner where I bought ammo a month ago went up about 32.00 on the same item.
    Was not that price Sunday as I was going to order some this evening but not at that price.
    Yes its typical panic knee jerk responses yet it affects us. @VisuTrac
    Did the same have about 40 or so AK's still in shipping bag even bout 20 Ductbill for SKS. Saw this coming awhile back.

12. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

Update from this morning 7.62x39 ammo up to .28 from .24 last night thats allot when you are talking cases.

13. chimo

Off topic, but I just noticed your sig lines, @Salted Weapon
    "A person's position on guns is all you need to know about them,
    with that you will know everything.
    "

You might just be my long lost twin! (y)

Gator 45/70, AD1 and Salted Weapon like this.
  14. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

Ok just as long as I get to play Arnold, not Danny Devito (y).
    Gees Arnolds got a tank well he used to.

15. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

image.

16. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

My FiIL called this evening... He thinks that Odimbass is going to get the Evil Black Gun ban imposed again, and wants to have me get him one, while they are still available... I told him I would look and see what kind of deal, I can do, but only if he leaves the weapon to my wife, in his Will.... He is 83, so it should come back in my lifetime...

Gator 45/70, 3M-TA3, AD1 and 2 others like this.
  17. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Get him 2 and have him leave the second to me [LMAO][touchdown][lolol][peep]

Gator 45/70 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  18. rjburk

rjburk Monkey

In 2008 when the Radical was elected Wal-Mart had bricks of 22 out the ass with no minimum at $16 a brick.....I bough a couple every week and just kept piling it up......at one point had close to 50k rounds.....sold 10k rounds to friends and such....still got more than I will probably ever use.......

Gator 45/70 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  19. chimo

I made a suggestion similar to that in one of the gun forums...THR I think...and got an infraction for advocating illegal activity!
    When I asked the mods what was up, they said I was advocating straw man purchases (which is utter nonsense).
    When I told them to f off and die, I got banned. :D

20. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

No StrawMan here.... I am an FFL, and the FIL would pick it up at his local Gun Shop.....

1. T. Riley
  2. duane
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. Yard Dart
  5. Yard Dart
  6. fl4848
  7. Motomom34
  8. OldDude49
  9. oil pan 4
  10. Motomom34
  11. Yard Dart
  12. Yard Dart