It’s time to stock up on ammunition

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Yard Dart, Apr 1, 2016.

1. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

So we are saying I cannot buy a gun as a gift for my son, but I can give him one of the ones I already own? That's nonsense. I gave my stepdaughter a LC9 for Christmas. That was a "straw purchase"?

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Not if he lives in another State..... Especially if your choices of Gift was a HandGun....

3. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

In many of the gun forums there are a bunch of holier-than-though wannabe lawyers who try to nitpick everything into some kind of crime. I also got an infraction for saying that I didn't need no stinkin permit to carry my pistol...again saying I was talking about illegal activity. I live in an open carry state. :LOL:

4. chimo

Maybe, maybe not. When my son was staying with me here, but still a resident of another state, I gave him the Security Six that my Dad carried after he got his gold shield for his his birthday. A year later, when he was back in that other state and took his own life with the gun, the investigating detective and I had this same question when we were discussing ultimate disposition of the firearm (I didn't want them calling my ex-wife and asking her if she wanted to claim the gun after it was released from evidence). A few months later, he called me to see if I wanted to claim the firearm, since they no longer had to keep it as evidence and told me that BATFE told him there was no issue concerning giving it to my son in the first place. Of course, it could have just been a case of professional courtesy, so don't take my experience as legal advice.

5. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Sorry to hear about your son, sir.:(

6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

as long as your Son, Personally, transported the Firearm, across the Interstate Lines, and was NOT a Prohibited Possessor, under the GCA 0f 1968 as amended, then there is NOT an issue.... It is an In Family, transaction.... However if you shipped it to him in another State, or he was a Prohibited Possessor, then you have an issue, are required to do so, thru a local FFL, in his State...

Case on Point.... My Son in Law bought a Glock Pistol, in Texas, where he lived, and then the Day he picked it up, from the Store, Committed suicide.... When my daughter, went to the Police Precinct, with my wife, to get his Personal Effects, they asked her about the FireArm. She didn't even want to see it, but my Wife took possession of the weapon, and transported it, back to Alaska in her baggage. I logged it into my Bound Book, as inventory, where it sat for nearly a year. When my daughter came to visit, she finally wanted to see it, and handle it. Then she said, "Sell it..." so I had my Son look for a reasonable Buyer in Utah, where he lives. He had it sold in a week, and arranged for a local FFL to do the Transaction for the Buyer. I shipped it to the FFL, and my daughter received the Funds from the Sale. All according to the GCA of 1968 as amended....

7. chimo

Excellent clarification, thank you.

Salted Weapon likes this.
  8. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

GENT'S
    I feel so sorry for all your sorrows & lost.
    I don't get the " taking of your own life thing" a a fit person.
    Another thread or day-pico .
    Still sorry ,but glad to hear info .
    Sloth

1. T. Riley
  2. duane
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. Yard Dart
  5. Yard Dart
  6. fl4848
  7. Motomom34
  8. OldDude49
  9. oil pan 4