It is green but not Soylent Green

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by DKR, Mar 19, 2021.

1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Food of the future - or near future. An in depth look at commercial algae farming in NM.
    (another view of the NM farm)

(for biofuel)

Small scale 'farming'

try farming the algae at home

and in India

- 5000r/kg

chelloveck likes this.
  2. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Pond scum is easy to grow, harder to not grow and tastes just like it looks. I'd rather eat the waterbugs.

Dark Wolf, techsar and johnbb like this.
  3. DKR

Spiruilan - not bad at 5000r/kg. (US$68+ per kilo)

This stuff sells in the health foods biz big time, and even NASA took a hard look at it.

The NM growing tanks recycle the water (nearly 90%) and can use brackish/salt water to grow human (OK, animal ffed) protien for food. Pretty slick operation.
    Cheaper than soy beans, (so we aren't feeding human food to cows (conversion efficiency)
    uses non-arable land and water useless for AG and produces something of real use for humans. Can even be used tp make biofuel.
    I wonder how it does in high UV areas?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
  4. DKR

The Blue-Green Algae Spirulina May Have Many Health Benefits

Spirulina is a type of blue-green algae that contains a number of nutrients, including B vitamins, beta-carotene, and vitamin E. Spirulina also contains antioxidants, minerals, chlorophyll, and phycocyanobilin and is commonly used as a source of vegan protein.

and
    Scientists from Israel and Iceland recently suggested that an extract of spirulina algae has the potential to reduce the chances of COVID-19 patients developing a serious case of the disease. Here is the abstract of their paper:

An array of infections, including the novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2), trigger macrophage activation syndrome (MAS) and subsequently hypercytokinemia, commonly referred to as a cytokine storm (CS). It is postulated that CS is mainly responsible for critical COVID-19 cases, including acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS). Recognizing the therapeutic potential of Spirulina blue-green algae (Arthrospira platensis), in this in vitro stimulation study, LPS-activated macrophages and monocytes were treated with aqueous extracts of Spirulina, cultivated in either natural or controlled light conditions. We report that an extract of photosynthetically controlled Spirulina (LED Spirulina), at a concentration of 0.1 µg/mL, decreases macrophage and monocyte-induced TNF-α secretion levels by over 70% and 40%, respectively. We propose prompt in vivo studies in animal models and human subjects to determine the putative effectiveness of a natural, algae-based treatment for viral CS and ARDS, and explore the potential of a novel anti-TNF-α therapy.

The Jerusalem Post reported that the research was conducted in a MIGAL laboratory in northern Israel with algae grown and cultivated by the Israeli company VAXA, which is located in Iceland. VAXA received funding from the European Union to explore and develop natural treatments for coronavirus. Iceland’s MATIS Research Institute also participated in the study.

5. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Said like a true carnivore! ;)

oldawg and Seacowboys like this.
  6. DKR

chelloveck likes this.
  7. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Oh, it's easy to grow alright! I have a devil of a time keeping it, and the like, from growing in my backyard pool.:LOL:

8. DKR

It may be just "pond scum" but the commercial outfits, even the small ones turn a pretty penny on the stuff.

9. DKR

The market value of Spirulina in 2020 was $446.74 Million

The North American spirulina extract market is projected to witness a CAGR of 2.6% during the forecast period.

· The increasing demand for natural and clean label ingredients, such as colors, recreated a demand for spirulina extracts. Stringent regulations and a ban on synthetic food additives by the US governments are driving the demand for natural additives.

· Nutraceuticals and food sectors are expected to be promising end users of spirulina, due to the rapid development of algae-based superfoods, heightened consumer’s interest toward natural and clean-label products, and the regulatory encouragement in terms of enabling policies and implementation framework.

and I discovered a new English word today - Nutraceuticals
    ain't marketing great?

10. DKR

Spirulina Market to Reach $730.3 Million by 2028 -- Exclusive Report by Meticulous Research® and EABA

Spirulina is being developed as the "food of the future" because of its remarkable ability to synthesize high-quality concentrated food more efficiently. Spirulina contains 65 to 71% complete protein, with all essential amino acids in perfect balance. It appears to have considerable potential for development, especially as a small-scale crop for nutritional enhancement, livelihood development, and environmental qualification.

(For when plain old beans and rice is too much too often....)

more at link above.

11. DKR

techsar likes this.
  12. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

I think I'll stick with fresh tomatoe, lettuce, bell pepper, carrots, zucchini, etc...ducks can convert the pond scum into a main dish ;)

13. DKR

I was thinking more along the lines of a small village - as a source of additional protien for the kiddos.

Gator 45/70 and johnbb like this.
  14. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

Th world population is projected to hit 9 billion people by the year 2050 and no end in sight --guess there will be a lot of people eating algae. Glad I won't be around I like meat and potatoes and real vegetables.

Gator 45/70, Dark Wolf and techsar like this.
  15. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

So, this is basically Impossible Green? I bet they will make it in Deplorable Flavor just for the lefty crowd to enjoy.

Seems all my life I've been told that the population will outstrip the world's resources to feed them in a then to twenty year period that never seems to happen. Looks like the politicians will have to get in the way in order to get us there and they seem to be hell bent on making that happen.

I can definitely see the potential for using this as feed.

16. DKR

Yes, it is cheaper then soybeans and saves feeding people food to pigs...

techsar, Gator 45/70 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  17. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Same here Throw in some shrimps, crawfish, beef things like that on the side

techsar and johnbb like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7