It's a pleasure bein' here!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Buck Nekkid, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Buck Nekkid

Buck Nekkid Monkey+++

Howdy Y'all!

Just checkin' in. I got directed here from Halffast's online novel "Lights Out" that I'm currently readin'. I'm findin' it to be an excellent story. I lived in the San Antonio area for many years and so I can really relate to the locale, etc.

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

BN, we are glad you are here in spite of being a texan.[violin]

There are a few compadres down your way.

Enjoy.:D

3. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Same here, that is my neck o' the woods. Don't pay any attention to Ghrit, those that weren't blessed enough to be Texans are in denial in regards to their envy. :unsure:

4. Buck Nekkid

Buck Nekkid Monkey+++

Thank you compadres, but please note my current residence...yep I live in Sin City and have for the past 7 years or so. I do miss the bluebonnets and live oak, but the desert is my home now.

5. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

welxcome aboard Buck Nekkid

6. ghrit

Well then, you are forgiven, you did the right thing. BTW, there is/are members in that area too.:D

(Take that, EL:sneaky:)

7. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Welcome, Yeah our resident knife maker is in your new neighborhood and got a few in your old stompin grounds. Glad to have you here anyhow, jump right in, the waters great.

8. E.L.

Ghrit, the desert is beautiful, but of course we do have a desert in Texas also. Not to mention mountain ranges, the hill country, the Gulf Coast, the plains, and the piney woods of East Texas. Texas, it's like a whole 'nother country.

Ghrit, feel the pains of envy creeping up? Not to mention Texas is a pro-gun state too, and very conservative.

(volley returned) :D

9. ghrit

Heh, heh, heh. Nawp, not envious at all. Spent a couple years in Wyoming's high desert, prowled the High Uinta and enjoyed every minute of it. Still like the oak and maple in the fall, and there is precious little of that up there, Mostly pine, and as pretty as that can be coated with snow, I pine for the hardwoods. (Cottonwoods just add cotton to your burgers--)[yack]

(Come to the net, suckah --)

10. E.L.

The point is, you have to leave your state to find all of that. We have all that and so much more.

Trees native to Texas: http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/ornamentals/natives/galleryindex1.htm

Oaks, pecan, junipers, cypress, pine, maple, etc. I do not like the cedar, or the pine for that matter, some of my favorites are the pecans and maples: http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/ornamentals/natives/acergrandidentatum.htm

Bigtooth maple is one of the most attractive and interesting Texas trees. Native to the sheltered canyons of the Edwards Plateau (these are the maples of Lost Maples State Park), the Lampasas Cut Plains and the high country of the Trans-Pecos, it is a small tree up to 50 feet tall. It grows in limestone and igneous soils and is relatively drought tolerant. Mature trees have beautiful red and yellow fall color. The trees in the Edwards Plateau are found in two confusing forms: A. grandidentatum var. grandidentatum (bigtooth maple), which has three- to five-lobed, toothed leaves, and var. sinuosum (Uvalde bigtooth maple), whose toothless leaves are three-lobed. However, both types of leaves can sometimes be found on the same tree.

The Uvalde/Nueces Canyon area is still home to me, and this Uvalde Bigtooth Maple is actually named after my home town.

(Slam at the net)
    Acergrandi1434 (Medium).

11. E.L.

I have been gone way too long.
    Acergrandi2915 (Medium).

12. ghrit

15 love. But you still aren't there, are you? Heart may be there, but carcass isn't. Have you seen the maples in Michigan's Upper peninsula long about the first week of October? Makes the rest of the winter worth it. Go up Mt. Washington (NH) a week later than that, and have a peek at the color, all the way to Canada.

The main point is that BN ain't where he ought to be. Sin City is one horrible place to be, and a most excellent place to be from. (I have a friend in Henderson that will argue that point for hours.)

I've been lucky in many ways, have seen a LOT of scenery all over. I am going to have a hell of a hard time deciding where to retire.

13. E.L.

I haven't been that far north....yet. I hope to one day. Right now to be honest with you I almost NEVER go somewhere that I cannot carry my gun. Silly, but that's just me.

As far as looking for a place TN. and TX. are really nice. No state income tax, conservative for the most part, and firearm friendly.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7