It's business as usual you've gone some where and just turned off your vehicle and

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by arleigh, Sep 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Not able to play the video - even cutting and pasting the link above doesn't work.

2. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

More EMP Nonsense

"So, my working assumption was that this episode of this television show was one giant, steaming pile of BS.

Turns out I was right.

Future Wars identified the location as White Sands Missile Range. It wasn’t too hard to figure out that the simulator in question was the Horizontally Polarized Dipole II Simulator. (Not the Trestle or ATLAS-1 at Kirtland as Frickey claimed. You can’t possibly confuse them. The TRESTLE was huge and is no longer active.)

I asked Catherine Dill, our super R.A., to just call White Sands Missile Range to ask whether they really let this guy drive a car through the simulator. Their answer was NO. The press folks at White Sands Missile Range were really very helpful and professional. They took our request to someone who works on the HPD II simulator and asked the expert. Here are Catherine’s notes from her conversation:

Although the 2007 episode of Future Weapons appears to show an individual driving a vehicle through the Horizontally Polarized Dipole II Simulator at the White Sands Missile Range EMP facility during an active EMP simulation, the shot in fact was staged.

There was no one inside the vehicle. WSMR EMP experts confirmed to the official that individuals are not allowed to be exposed to the EMP simulator while it is active. WSMR apologizes that the show represented the shot as such.

Additionally, the official explained that because ordinary fuel is flammable, vehicles cannot go through the simulator without first mixing an additive to the fuel (usually argon), which was not possible for the vehicle used during filming.

This is great. The shot in fact was staged. There was no one inside the vehicle. Individuals are not allowed to be exposed to the EMP simulator. Vehicles cannot go through the simulator without mixing an additive to the fuel which was not possible for the vehicle used during filming. WSMR apologizes …"

So much for TeeVee

3M-TA3 and BTPost like this.
  3. DKR

https: //www.youtube.com/ watch?v=ve6XGKZxYxA

Ive added spaces so you can see the full URL - after the s: and after /

3M-TA3 likes this.
  4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

The neighbor's mutt stands a better chance of licking me to death than a drone disabling my pickup does.

Zimmy and BTPost like this.
  5. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

The problem as I understand it with the EMP commission testing on vehicles was that the vehicles were borrowed and if ruined, had to be paid for. Thus the testing got up to about 20K volts/meter which knocked out most of the cars and trucks but they could be restarted with no major problems. I think one vehicle had to be towed and repaired. What vehicles? Classified. And they were more robust in electrical terms that today's models. The big problem is that a "starndard" EMP is in the vicinity of 50K volts/meter and a super EMP is around 200K volts/meter. What is our little fat friend playing with? A super EMP of course. It does not bode well for the US staying in the 21st century if he decides to get froggy. Even if he loses the war (which he will) he still wins. As an aside, with that much energy flowing through power lines into homes, how many house fires do we have, where are your preps stored? It may be that the E1 will simply blow the transformers and fry computer chips and not get into home wiring - I DON'T KNOW, but it is something I've thought about.

6. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Still no workie from FireFox or Edge... can anybody else open it?

7. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Well, that might be the problem as I am using Explorer 11...I could try it in Microsoft Edge but didn't think of it until now...

@3M-TA3 Thanks! Got it now...

3M-TA3 likes this.
  8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

A deep penetrating MOAB. Playing indirectly, but still ----

Or as one of our erstwhile past presidents called it, "massive retaliation." One might estimate his life expectancy after twisting the launch key as anywhere between one and six hours. Methinks he's done that math.

3M-TA3 likes this.
  9. DKR

[​IMG]

I'm all set - got me a AN/GRC-109 and a hatfull of crystals. Stores in it's own little EMP-proof box. Now all I have to do is find the handcranks for the GN-58 - grandkids misplaced em last we played with the rig....

Bandit99, ghrit and 3M-TA3 like this.
  10. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

Wow you got the new stuff!! All we had was the, I think, PRC 109? I dunno, I wasn't the commo guy, just the crank operator

DKR likes this.
  11. DKR

LOL

I use the grandkids as crank monkeys - they're all about how buff they are - until I hit the transmit key.....

More likeyy a AN/GRC-9 or angry 9

This look familiar?

[​IMG]

12. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

To fry the power grid you only need to be able to induce a few volts per km.
    Susceptible vehicles that are running needed upwards of 12,000 volts per meter just to stall them. More to damage. All vehicles that were tested had no problems while turned turned off at 50,000kv/m, which is a lot. These were early 2000s vehicles that were tested.

13. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

Could have been the angry 9. I was the demo guy and got to crank while the commo guys did the diddy dum dum diddy stuff. That was a while ago but I do remember that cranking was no fun, especially is no one was at the other end and we didn't know about it.

14. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Despite the down playing,
    I'm not taking any chances with possibly tainted information .
    Government is notorious for lies and misinformation ,especially after the fact .
    Just after Fukushima the government shut down radiation testing along the California coast ,then reestablishes of higher levels of (safe) radiation from those establish 40 years ago.
    Next they will be telling you that during a atomic bomb blast, you just need to put your head in a paper bag and you be just fine.
    So far as the insadents of EMPs taking out navy ship and cruse liner I have no links
    1. I didn't know how to save them when the appeared.
    2. even if I did , chances are they would have been erased by this time to save face. I have a big list of things now that I've saved and now no longer available.
    I'm sorry for you the just now are becoming aware of the world around you, problem with internet news, it's not on paper to save every singe scrap of information , besides having a life and other responsibilities to deal with.

1. DKR
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Thunder5Ranch
  7. Waydah
  8. Coyote Ridge
  9. UncleMorgan
  10. hitchcock4
  11. Dunerunner
  12. john316