It's no survival revolver but...

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by kckndrgn, Nov 8, 2008.

1. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Well, got me a old revolver today. I was helping check in a permit class at the range and a gentleman said "Can you dispose of this for me?" as he handed me a bag of ammo and a revolver.

I thought he just meant the ammo, but he clarified that he no longer wanted the revolver as well. So, I got dibs (well, no one else wanted it since the cylinder was stuck LOL).

After a good cleaning, it's now back in working order, though it could stand to be totally dissambled and cleaned/lubed, but as I have no revolver experiance that will have to wait.

The Revolver is a Hopkins and Allen, Police Safety in .38 S&W. I even got a box of .38 S&W ammo with the gun LOL.

From a quick search on the net it appears to be mfg between 1907 & 1914. The finish is not the best there are a few rust spots, but I've seen a lot worse. Besides, I couldn't beat the price, FREE.

[​IMG]

2. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

[winkthumb] Congratulations!

3. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

That's is really awesome. A free, no paperwork revolver with ammo. What a deal. I need to get a job at a range.

4. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Very cool.

5. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

At least he didn't give it up at one of those gun buy back programs.

Congratulations [beer]

6. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Gotta love it! A good old classic goes to a new home where it will be appreciated. In a pinch, it could be used for home defense, if no better gun is within reach - it IS a .38 afterall, just a little slower. [beer]

Those old top-breaks have a lot of charm too.

7. poacher

poacher Monkey+++ Founding Member

KCK

If I remember correctly there are a few ole boys who play with the 38 S&W at the handloadersbench. You might head over there and ask around, they could give you some good tips. Congrats on the new toy.
    Take care Be safe Poacher.

8. kckndrgn

Thanks Poacher, I'll have to check it out.

This gun sure did clean up nice. It'll prolly be a safe queen for now, who knows, it might be worth something in a year or two.

9. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Check the gun auction sites for old top-breaks - the collectors have really been running the prices UP! Especially the old S&W's, but any of the old antiquated designs are rising in value. You might parlay that old gun into some real money, to fund other preps!

10. BuckBall

BuckBall Woman Hater

One doesn't need a nice shiny wheel gun to use in a situation. Heck, I have a reproduction Remington 1858 .44 converted to fire 45 Colt 250 grain slugs. This weapon will serve my needs for a home defense weapon just fine. As long as you have something that can be fired safely, your g2g.

11. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Cool. Just curious but did he mention WHY he wanted to just have someone dispose of for him for free? I mean if all it needed was a good cleaning to function then would seem like he would have sold it if there werent problems attached or something where it was dangerous unless of coarse it was some sort of situation of wanting/needing guns out of the home due to someones misuse of one creating bad feelings about guns or an issue with the courts.

I would just be curious as to why he was disposing of it without return and be real careful with it if unknown. Probably just overly suspicious but dumped guns kind of make me nervous.

12. clemsonguy81

clemsonguy81 remington 700 cdl 30-06!

thats cool.

13. kckndrgn

MM,
    This guy was not the first and prolly wont be the last asking us to dispose of a gun. I doubt anything nefarious was done with it since it was in a non-working condition when I got it, along with the very old ammo. It's probably been sitting in someones closet or dresser drawer for years after grandpa died and now they just want to get rid of it.

I suppose I could call TBI and have them run a stolen gun check on it.

14. clemsonguy81

clemsonguy81 remington 700 cdl 30-06!

what will you be using it for? i recamend 45 acp but thats just me.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7