It's Not Easy Being Played For A Fool!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lone Gunman, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Lone Gunman

Lone Gunman Draw Varmint!

A few months ago I decided to join yahoo.com’s, ‘Answers’ forum. In particular I was interested in fielding questions in the, ‘hunting’ (and, ‘firearms’) section.

So, ...... even though past experience has taught me to despise yahoo.com; and, I suspected (Rightly, as things turned out!) that Yahoo would, somehow, abuse my personal information, I went ahead and gave Yahoo the phone number they demanded.

Voilà, then, for the first time in 6 or 7 years I was a member again! Now under another one of my usual online, ‘noms de plume’ I began answering questions on guns and hunting in their, ‘Answers’ forum.

Well, wouldn’t you know! ....... Guess what happened, next? First, I met all of the onsite, ‘piss around the tree’ gun forum regulars; and, then, I began getting mysteriously, ‘down voted’ by other board members who, I could easily tell were no better than hobbyists, and barely knew which end of the gun a bullet comes out of!

It wasn’t too bad, though. I know how to handle myself online; and my, ‘feathers’ aren’t easily ruffled. (I, also, like to think that this old man was able to genuinely help some of the youngsters out with, what I’ll admit, were some really stupid questions; but, when a person is my age, I think this is one of the more useful things to do. So, overall, I felt good about the whole Yahoo, ‘Answers’ experience!)

Then — THEN — in answer to a young ‘un who needed help preparing a school research paper on, ‘Why people should not own guns’ I wrote this reply:

What happened, next? Well, right now, I’m sort of locked out of Yahoo Answers’, ‘Hunting Forum’. I say, ‘sort of’ because I can still sign in; but, the title page never changes! The only thing I see — all of the time — is the same old questions that I’ve been looking at, now, for the past week. Just like the mainstream news media’s, ‘Fake News’ Yahoo’s point-of-view and political message remain the same; and, nothing ever changes!

It was bad enough when, every now and then, Yahoo wouldn’t allow my (I think!) insightful gun-orientated replies to appear on screen; but, now, I’m not even able to read any of the new questions!

(Yahoo has this amazing ability to censor and leave invisible online any reply that doesn’t meet their narrow, 100% politically correct guidelines; and the Yahoo, ‘Thought Police’ always have the final word on what either does, or does not get published on any of their forums.)

Not that I particularly care because, deep down inside, I really don’t; but, more and more of late, I’m beginning to feel like some sort of an Orwellian, ‘lost soul’ — A real, ‘Winston Smith’ if you’re able to understand what I’m talking about!

When I was young I used to genuinely like people; but, now that I'm old, (Gasp!) I’ve begun to believe that humanity, as a species, is thoroughly duplicitous, self-serving, and inherently self-destructive! Even worse, there is absolutely, positively, and utterly no hope, whatsoever, for mankind NOT to ultimately destroy itself along with numerous other species of life on this planet — Earth is well on its way to becoming another desolate, ruined, and god-forsaken planet Mars!

If it doesn’t happen today, if it doesn't happen next week, or next month, or even next year, all you’ve got to do is wait. ‘Why?’ Because the final result of all these horrible intellectual distortions is already out there in, ‘the ether’ waiting to occur; and the outcome is already both a physical, as well as a spiritual foregone conclusion. Just as the Book Of Matthew has prophesied,

For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time; no, nor ever shall be again. And except those days be shortened, there should no flesh be saved; but, for the elect’s sake, those days shall be shortened. (Matthew 24:21-22)

As for Yahoo’s, surreptitious, ‘Thought Police’? Well, ....... to paraphrase Hubert H. Humphrey: ‘The first sign of political tyranny, of intellectual dogma, is a demonstrable unwillingness on the listener’s part to stop a moment, stand still, and consider.

My Yahoo, ‘Answers’ account became unresponsive, intellectually dysfunctional, and academically inert NOT because I was saying things that were either untrue, or demonstrably incorrect; but, instead, because what I had to say either made a few of the old time forum regulars (internet gun forum, ‘experts’) look silly, or else my remarks were so politically intolerable and offensive to Yahoo’s general anti-Second Amendment political position that,

YAHOO WOULD NOT ALLOW ME TO SAY ANOTHER WORD ABOUT EITHER GUNS, OR HOW TO USE THEM WELL!

Which, I will admit, might be great technical information to keep away from criminals; (Like they’re not able to find it elsewhere, though — Yes!) but, on the other (and, I think, more important) hand, honest law-abiding people need to know how to defend themselves properly with a gun even more than criminals do!

You know, I used to believe in other people; I used to trust them, too; and I used to believe in the intellectual freedom and inherent worth of the worldwide web, as well; but, nowadays, all of that quixotic idealism has just melted away like an ice cream cone thrown into a volcano. However, (and as I've, somewhat, sadly been forced to learn) a volcano is definitely the wrong place to hold your next ice cream party!

Trying to, 'eat ice cream in hell' didn't work for Sancho Panza; and it hasn't worked for me, either!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    Cruisin Sloth, Ura-Ki, 3M-TA3 and 8 others like this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Welcome to Yahoo (cynically stated.) How soon will you change your phone number?

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  3. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

Well yahoo.com isn't the only place where truth, justice, the American Way and intelligence is attacked, perverted, blocked, deleted, banned and the emperor has no clothes, the boil on his ass is sticking out for all to see and he doesn't care, as long as he can block, delete, attack and ban his betters for pointing that out. Of course point THAT out and see what happens to you as well, as knowledge, truth and honesty are both a threat and foreign to them. Tyrants are all the same, no matter where you find them.

4. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

There is an active aggressive move of the liberals, mobsters, satan worshippers, Islam, and marxist/Communist working hard to destroy America.
    These folks are infiltrated in all kinds of media ( propaganda is their thing ), to see to their agenda and use political correctness as one of there tools.
    They all do much the same thing, even to the point of making claims that they are fallowing some recognized popular character, a lie only to garner approval, so their real agenda is ignored .
    Gun issues ,like many other rights are especially under attack due to the Agendas 21 and 30, world domination and slavery.
    They won't say it that way, but that's the goal.
    You can't have slaves owning guns and free speech .
    Trying to reason, with some one that has an blindly devoted to hidden agenda, is futile till they have come to the end of their rope and find their agenda was wrong. Much like warning a kid not to do drugs, but all his friends are making excuses and lies to get him to compromise his own health .
    After a number of accidents and health issues he finally says, "I guess you were right dad".
    But it's too late and his future is sealed, and very dim.
    When striper bass were introduced to lake Havisu , at first they looked pretty good , but no one considered the consequences .
    When the bass ran out of all the other fish in the lake, they turned on one another and soon there was nothing left.
    Liberals seem to hate morality disregarding the quality of life morality has produced.
    Left to continue their immorality the country is disintegrating .

It seems that what some others who are afraid of guns, fear is people they don't trust ,will be getting guns.
    In effect, feeling the pressure to some day having to arm them selves with something they are afraid of .
    There are a lot of people afraid of making a stand.
    Hence their feeling the need that the world might be better with out guns, ignoring all the other ways people are abused and killed.
    The gene has escaped the bottle and knowledge is out there, and there is no taking it back.
    Both good and evil know how to make war and ways to kill one another .
    Disarming ones self , does not inspire others to do the same, so long as evil people exist. Laws do not deter crime.
    However being armed responsible and trained and proactive is a real deterrent to criminals/ criminal government, looking for easy prey.
    Just as the Japanese were afraid to invade america, because of all the guns we own.
    The government should be afraid of it's people. Jefferson.

Motomom34, Ura-Ki, GOG and 6 others like this.
  5. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

GL, First, I found your write-up to be very informative and well written and if I was the young man I would have thanked you and taken bits and pieces of it to use. Hell, you even gave him a source to look up and reference, 'books by Professor John Lott', so you did most of his work for him. I do understand the young man's dilemma trying to justify 'not' owning a firearm(s)...seems almost impossible to me. 'Why people should not own guns’... Sitting here trying to think of a reason and I can't, not a valid one. I think your advice was sound. It will be interesting to see if you hear from Yahoo ever again. I doubt it.I am also curious if this project was assigned to him or if he thought it up himself?

Motomom34, Ura-Ki, GOG and 1 other person like this.
  6. Lone Gunman

Lone Gunman Draw Varmint!

Exactly, Bandit99! I was, kind 'a, testing Yahoo.com as well. (I ain't stupid, ya know!) ;)

Cruisin Sloth and Ura-Ki like this.
  7. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@Lone Gunman the very iew points you wrote so eloquently are the thoughts and ideas the corporate and mainstream media try to suppress. [applaud][applaud] I applaud you for trying. And I talk with 20 and 30 somethings regularly, they are very aware that they have to wade thru bs on line to get answers and they are aware it's not always the best source for some things.

My hope is you don't let the corporate media beat you down and that you continue to share your knowledge where you can.

I think during the last election middle America spoke out for a change and for things to change we have to continue educating and sharing ideas .... everyone has a moment of awaking..... to the corporate lies, to political bs, and when they do there are sites like this one that have a diverse sets of ideas but are centered on self reliance.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  8. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Absolutely terrific response, LG, one I will read a few times.

The other tact would be a response like "gun control is important because without gun control the government is unable to impose compliance upon its subjects."

Cruisin Sloth and Ura-Ki like this.
  9. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Well said.

10. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Sad to see all the young folks today that are not learning the truth of the freedoms they all seek! I hang out in a LGS quite a bit, and one of the surprising things we see almost daily, is the number of Neubs that walk nervelessly through those front doors ( probably the first time,Ever) and they are seeking answers to questions No one in there circle can answer! It has been quite an experience to see this, I and the many others that hang out there try and make it a pleasant and informative experience for them and we all try to be welcoming with them! This to me is one of the very best opportunities to help spread the good word about rights and freedoms with out going off on the pro gun/ pro 2nd mantra, just sharing wisdom and thoughts on all these things, and a little mental challenge to each of them to ask them selves! I feel the same as the OP here, I think the MSM and other media are the wrong place to try and find information pertaining to guns and the 2nd for those that do not all ready know, or know the right places to look!

11. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Our youth are locked into what they read and see online. They are constantly in their phones. This makes indoctrination so much easier...

Motomom34, Brokor, Yard Dart and 3 others like this.
  12. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

Yes, @Lone Gunman you took the bait. By providing a lengthy and serious answer to what was obviously a troll question you kinda set yourself up for this. I'm not saying it's right, and I'm not saying I agree with how you were treated. I'm just saying.

And I'm willing to bet a ton o'cash that the person who asked the question was not really a young 'un innocently researching for a school paper.

(Side note: That some of the SM members replying to this topic accept at face value that it was a young student asking a legit albeit naive question proves that being a sucker is not just for the young).

I understand why you're annoyed, but you're better off without Yahoo. Look at it this way: Your expertise is/was one of the reasons Yahoo gets so much website traffic and page views. They make millions while the contributors who provide the content are unpaid volunteers. Screw that.

Since you enjoy answering questions and sharing knowledge I think you have two options:

1) Hang out on Survival Monkey and similar forums and reply to questions. You will still be an unpaid volunteer, but at least you'll be respected and appreciated, and your privacy will be (relatively) intact. And you won't be filling someone else's wallet.

2) Start your own blog. I did this a few years ago when I felt I was not being treated well on some internet forums that were supposed to be friendly places. It was one of the best things I ever did. I am the sole owner of my web domain and am not subject to any corporate censorship or rules. I can say and do whatever I want. It requires a little more work than just typing up a few words and clicking "post," and you'll also have to put up your own money for web hosting and other operating expenses, but the personal rewards and satisfaction are very high.

As a result of this experience, I now have a new rule: I still answer questions on internet forums, but if the question has a lot of appeal and my answer is potentially long enough to be a blog article, then I pass on posting in the forum and turn what would have been my answer into an article for my website. I know it sounds selfish but I've become very guarded about how much I say even on forums/websites I like because I learned my lesson about giving away my best material to others.

Yard Dart, Ura-Ki and Mountainman like this.
  13. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

Sadly, I have had the same problem in many or most of the online firearms forums. They get especially offended when you point out that a CCW permit is defacto registration in exchange for government permission to hide your gun in your pants. ;)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7