IWB Holsters

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by phishi, Jan 20, 2007.

Tags:
  1. phishi

phishi Psy-Ops Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Anyone here use one?

I just spent the last few hours convincing myself that I could use one of these. Now I'm wondering if they are comfortable and what some of the pros and cons might be. Any insight is appreciated.

phishi

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

New wardrobe for starters.

3. TexasDoc

TexasDoc Monkey+++ Founding Member

4. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

I've got a cheapo Uncle Mikes "inside the pant" holster for my snub 357. It makes me just a little nervous because it feels like the pistol is being "pushed up and out" from being pinched between my belt and hip every time I sit down.

Any more I just stick the whole thing inside my front pocket and it works great. :)

5. phishi

TexasDoc, how do you feel carrying that way? Any problems?

phishi

6. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

I wear either Carhartts or Levi's on and off the job and IWB holsters are uncomfortable for me. I've purchased a few used ones for a great price and they are sitting in a box with nowhere to go. Sholder holster rigs are my preference, since I'm not willing to start wearing Dockers, slacks or buy jeans a couple inches too big.

7. phishi

CC: Wouldn't have one that would fit a Glock 19 would you? If so, could I borrow with intent to purchase if it works?

phishi

8. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Phishi, I know a lot of guys (myself included) that have a box of holsters that didn't fit the bill. The best advice I got on the matter was "quit buying cheap, spend some $$$ and get a good quality holster and belt." This I did, for outside and inside the waistband. I looked long and hard, and talked to a bunch of folks on the 1911forum, and so many people told me to try the Milt Spark Versa-Max II that I ended up buying one. Since then, that is pretty much the exclusive way I carry concealed. I don't carry every day, but I do carry a lot. I have a really nice expensive "Original Jackass" shoulder holster that I use maybe two or three times a year. A really nice OWB belt holster from El Paso Saddlery that I also use some, but the VM-II is by far the best piece of leather I have ever bought. It spreads out the weight on your belt also. Now it isn't cheap, especially in horsehide, but to borrow a line that my dad used to tell his customers "when you buy the best, you only cry once." Take a look at them, I think you will really like them. You might also want to check out this site http://forums.1911forum.com/ and ask around. Tucker makes really good quality stuff, but I am really partial to my Milt Sparks Versa-Max II. It really is about as comfortable as you are going to get carrying inside the waistband. Keep in mind that if you do carry this way, your pants either need to be baggy in the waist or you will need to get a size a little bigger. http://www.miltsparks.com/
    VM-2_large (Medium).

9. phishi

EL: I saw that one in my search last night, it made my short list. I'm not trying to go cheap here, if I believe that a piece of gear is worth the price, then I'll pony up the cash to get it. What I am concerned about is laying down the cash and finding that the entire concept is flawed. Hence the request of CC.

Suppose I could head to my local funshop and see what they have. They just aren't going to let me wander around the streets, with the holster strapped inside my pants, without paying for it first. Commerce is kinda funny that way......I don't know what their return policy is. If its a good one, I could "check" one out and see how I like it.

Still on the fence,

phishi

10. E.L.

Phishi, for what it's worth I have never heard anyone complain about the VM-II. Sometimes they can be difficult to find, I ordered mine out of Oregon I believe. I think I paid about $110 for my horsehide VM-II. While they might not let you out the door with one, I could see where they would probably let you try it on for size and walk around the store with it. Be sure that you have a good belt, I don't know if you have carried much before, but a good belt made for the purpose makes all of the difference in the world. I bought mine from El Paso Saddlery, but there are tons out there. The horsehide is supposed to be a lot more durable. Mine looks like it just came out of the package, and I have been wearing it for about four years. I really like how it spreads out the weight, especially since I carry a five inch 1911 in mine.

11. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Both of them fit my Sig P220 and P226, don't know if the Glock19 would fit or not, if so I could get you some pictures of them.

12. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I have tried several IWB holsters and can'y say I've ever found one that suited me as far as comfort goes and the deployment time seems to be abit more up in the air than with an OWB. My comfort preference runs to a Galco SOB holster for my Kimber but rather than the small of back, I wear it strong-side.

13. phishi

Current belt is a Wilderness Tactical Instructors belt, 3 stich, that needs to be let out due to my ever expanding gut. It would be my first choice for daily carry, unless I'm wearing business casual or a suit. Then I would need a better dress belt. I figure that I would need at least one pair of jeans and one pair of kakhis that are sized larger in the waist. More as I could afford them.....

Currently I rarely carry, but can see the potential for that to change. My current summer/bug out holster is a Wilderness Tactical Safepacker, my around town being an Uncle Mike's kydex paddle. Both seem to fit my needs to some degree.

The biggest problem is that my new jacket doesn't conceal the UM kydex very well due to its "sliming" shape. (Read that as "darn barrel sticks out under the hem.") That thought is what got me going on this. Thank all of you for your input.

phishi

14. E.L.

The great thing about inside the waistband is that the only thing showing is the handle.

15. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

If you are wanting to go with an IWB and dont mind a little wait there is a guy that goes by 'Naked prophit' at www.missouricarry.com he is a member there and makes custom holsters that I have heard all good about from the folks who have gotten them and he charges less than a lot of the name brand leater ones. If your interested you might pop over there some time and chat with him.

16. poacher

poacher Monkey+++ Founding Member

Phishi

I wear a IWB once in awhile. I used to wear one alot but I will tell you if you start to put any weight on where the pants get a tad tight the iwb is going to be very uncomfortable. Also like was mentioned here some pinch and when they do that you look like you're doing the funky chicken dance.
    They are good at concealing the pistol and most people really don't notice the bulge at the side like they would if you wore a belt holster. It doesn't print the weapon as bad.
    For holsters the best I've found and have worn is Alessi. He is definately not cheap but I've got a few of his for myself and a buddy used to sell em so I have a bunch for sale in odd cals. Go to his web site http://alessileather.com/ Hope this helps alittle

Take care Be safe Poacher.

17. Bogie

Bogie Monkey+++

Wilderness Instructors Belt & a Comp-Tac (C-Tac) IWB + Kimber 45 = EDC

1. Yard Dart
  2. Bandit99
  3. Motomom34
  4. OldDude49
  5. Witch Doctor 01
    [ATTACH] [IMG]
    Thread by: Witch Doctor 01, Apr 2, 2017, 17 replies, in forum: Firearms
  6. Altoidfishfins