Jam making tutorial

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by ammon, Dec 6, 2010.

1. ammon

ammon Monkey+

I've had a good amount of traffic with the last tutorial http://www.survivalmonkey.com/forum...mato-sauce-scratch-finsed-canned-product.html so I thought I would start another. Although the season for most jam making fruits is past it's prime, this is such a good recipe you might want to keep it around till next summer.

In the tutorial I use Peach, Plum, and Nectarine. The nectarine is optional as it does not make a very big difference in the recipe.

First I have a picture with all my materials, you can see a few different fruits which I will explain in the next pic. I also have knives and a cutting board.
    [​IMG]

Here you will see my selection of fruit. Top row is peaches, middle is nectarine, and bottom is 2 types of plumb.
    [​IMG]

So lets get started. Slice your fruit into wedges. You can now see why I had 2 knives, the white one goes right through the pit and all.
    [​IMG]

Next you will peel your wedges. The peeling can get tough and chewy, so you want to get it all off. A sharp knife is a must for this step.
    [​IMG]

Here you can see my plumb is wedged and peeled, this is what you are aiming for.
    [​IMG]

I don't have a pic, but you want to cut up the peeled wedges into tiny pieces and perhaps even mash them a bit with a potato masher.

You will then want to add 1/4 cup of lemon juice, or if you are like me and don't have any, squeeze some limes into the pot of cut up fruit.
    [​IMG]

Next, mix in a separate bowl, a pack of pectin, and 1/2 cup sugar.
    [​IMG]

Put your pot of fruit on the burner and start to warm. As is warms add the Pectin/Sugar mix a little at a time.
    [​IMG]

Stir, stir, stir! make sure it does not burn. You want to stir until the mixture becomes liquidy and is at a rolling boil. This is when you cannot stir the boil away. Mix in sugar to taste, sometimes as much as 3 cups is needed.
    [​IMG]

Pour into jars, then into the boiler to boil for 5 minutes. The two jars on the left are just peach flavored, not nearly as god as the peach, plum, nectarine combo.
    [​IMG]

That is it, very simple, great starting point for beginners, and the Jam is the best jam I have ever tasted.

Hope you enjoy!

2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

That's great, thanks :) The only change I would make for myself is to use pure organic demerara sugar instead of the refined white type. I have experimented in the past with a small part of rice syrup also, but I didn't like that.

3. Drumbo

Drumbo Monkey+

Thanks ammon, I enjoy the pics.
    I made Grape Jelly from my harvest this year for the first time. I have pics and may eventually post them, but after an hour of boiling and stirring without the juice thickening, I added a second pouch of pectin fearing I had done something wrong and I didn't want it to all boil away. It thickened right up and I canned several quarts. Unfortunately, I now have some rather large (delicious) "Jolly Ranchers". I messed up - but, it does soften up in the microwave and it's totally yummy, but I just want to caution any other canning newbs to be patient and take it easy on the pectin.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7