January 28, 1986

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CRC, Jan 28, 2006.

1. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Does everyone remember where you were , and what you were doing when you heard the news , 20 yrs ago today?
    When The Challenger exploded?

I do......

And as my dad worked in the Space program....it hit especially close to home.

Godspeed Challenger.........

[​IMG]

2. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Watching it on TV I try to never miss a launch.
    I was in Fort Knox Ky doing some training

3. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

In 5th grade. :D [peep]

4. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I was a junior in high school in computer class, when it was announced on the intercom by the principal. All of us just sat there in front of our computers in astonishment. Nobody said a thing for what seemed like minutes.

5. Aptus

Aptus Monkey+++ Founding Member

I wasn't even 1 year old yet at that point in time. But I think seeing 9/11 happen on TV was a similar experience.

6. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I was also in Jr. High. And being the only one in our school (or so it seemed) who was into "science and space" it hit me like a brick. I remember people comeing up to me saying "the shuttle landed in the ocean!!" I thought they were nuts. Until I went into my civics class where the teacher was playing the footage on the T.V.

Believe it or not, but I got into about 4 fights due to people making wise-ass jokes about the shuttle accident.

Ryan

7. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

I was teaching high school at the time.

We organized a donation drive to NASA the next day to help build another shuttle....collected whatever the kids wanted to throw, then got all the donor out on the lawn of the school, had the fire department run a snorkel truck up there and the local newspaper photographer went up in the bucket and took an ariel shot of all the kids saluting the heros of Challenger.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7