Gear Review Japanese Mosquito Coils

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by hot diggity, May 22, 2021.

1. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

It's that season again. Not much of a review needed on these. They work. I've had the same can for 30+ years. They work when the power is out, they work when your Thermacell is out of fuel or pads, your OFF is empty and you have to rub two sticks together to start a fire.

[​IMG]

I can't read read the directions, but the lid flips over to provide a safe surface to burn the coil on. When you're ready to go in, you just snap the ember off the end and close up the rest in the can.

They were everywhere when I lived in Japan. The late Asia-Off-Grid said they were "common as rice" in Cambodia.

DuxDawg, techsar, Gator 45/70 and 5 others like this.
  2. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Thanks, I'll try some out. It seems that citronella type candles don't work they way they used to.

3. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Used them all the time along the Gulf Coast. They work.

techsar, Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  4. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

Where do you buy them --we have mosquitos in the the Carolina low country

Last edited: May 22, 2021
    Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  5. hot diggity

japanese mosquito coils | eBay

I found mine at a local Japanese market, but that was long ago. I'd still try there first. Inflation may not have caught up with them yet.

Still at the full EBay price it's not a bad price for a storage bucket full of coils with a built in burner.

Last edited: May 22, 2021
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. hot diggity

coilholder_1024x1024.
    Doing a bit of research on availability I found this coil holder from Coghlans that gives you protection while on the move.
    I saw it listed for $3.20 so it's worth a try.

Sure beats feeding my Thermacell.

DuxDawg, Gator 45/70 and Oddcaliber like this.
  7. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Looks like the ones that you could get at the drive in movie theater!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

I am a mosquito magnet. There can be one mosquito in a room with 1000 people and I'll be the first (and maybe only) one bit. I was cruising the internet today and ran across a gadget that promised to eliminate mosquitos over a 150" diameter using uv light, a vacuum pump fan and a collector chamber. I figured what the heck and ordered it. We'll see how it works when it gets here.

9. FTM2 Tartar

FTM2 Tartar On Hiatus Banned

consume atleast one oz. of cayenne every day, Mosquitoes will all avoid you like the plague

Oddcaliber and SB21 like this.
  10. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

the mosquito is considered the greatest killer of mankind...

used to work at a Mosquito Abatement and Vector Control...

the nasty they can carry and share with us is amazing...

DuxDawg, TXKajun and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  11. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Not sure how well it clears out mosqitoes but it works well on termite swarms.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7