JB Weld question for my rifle

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by preliator, Nov 27, 2005.

1. preliator

preliator Monkey+++ Founding Member

Okay let me explain my problem with hopes that i can get an honest answer that wont cost me a ton of money.
    I have an old savage model 99, lever action in .308 cal. I aquired this firearm from my dads estate. the problem is a few years back while at the range sighting in, i fired the rifle. when i fired the 3 or 4th round the forestock blew clean off the gun. needsless to say it has been in the gun safe since.
    what actually happened is, there is a small clip that is oval in shape and contoured to fit below the barrel. its only purose is to secure the fore-stock to the barrel. it is the female connection. it appears as if it were silver soldered to the barrel when made.
    My question is I do not want to replace the barrel and cant find a gunsmith locally to re-weld the clip in place out fo fear of weaking the barrel. Can I use JB-Weld to affixe the clip to the barrel and will it hold up under fire? I have seen alot of folks on other forums use it to build out there ruger 10/22's but this is a bit different. I can bed the mortise a bit deeper if i need to in the forestock to accomodate any extra headspace the JB-Weld creates with little effort.
    I just dont wish to go for my lungs fixing it as it means a bit to me being it was dads, i just cant find or afford a new barrel with the clip in place.
    thanks for your help
    anthony

2. magnus392

magnus392 Field Marshall Mags Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I wouldn't trust JB weld to hold it. If it broke a weld it is bound to break JB-Weld. As far as another solution...I will have to ponder that one.

3. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

4. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

Having more time to think about it, if it is soldered, I would probably just mill out the old base, and cut a dovetail slot there. Probably use a dovetail blank, like go in the dovetails for a rear sight. Thread it, and use a longer screw, you just won't have as many threads. I would still Accraglass it in, but I think it would hold. Recoil tries to move the forend forward-Newton's First Law- but a good tight dovetail slot applies that force into the barrel, and should hold.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7