Jeeps and other stuff

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by ColtCarbine, Nov 26, 2022.

1. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

I see somebody started this thread for me, LOL.

Had a WTH moment when I saw it.

Gator 45/70, Dunerunner and Yard Dart like this.
  2. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

Old Jeep yes, new Jeep especially since the frogs bought it from the eyeties, not so much. The Mahindra isn’t all that cheap either at $28K for the all weather one.

3. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I'd really like to find a 2000 jeep cherokee with the 4L that wasn't a trail rig that the only thing holding it together was the crash cage someone welded around it.

Road salt used in the mitten has swiss cheesed the survivors so they are basically unable to be street driven.

And the rust-free ones from Arizona or Cali still command a pretty penny.

Miss my mid-90 go anywhere anytime rig.

4. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

There are not many old Jeeps on the road here lots of old leaky Landrovers (more since the ADF sold them all off) and many more Toyotas. Sadly in the US you don't get the actual heavy duty TLCs.

Not sure what you had in Yugo @Ura-Ki but it sounds like a HiLux not a 70/80TLC that would have been current at the time. There IS a reason you see so many old TLCs and yes, Landrovers still alive in Africa, the ME and here. The environments are harsh and not much else cuts it. The gold/coal/mineral mines here in Aus are probably the hardest thing on a vehicle daily in the world and they have gone round with different makes and models but singlehandedly keep the TLC 70 series in it's different guises alive (along with NGOs/Govts in Africa).

5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Yea, we had the Land cruiser in Yugo, here we call them the FJ-60, they were never available in the Diesel here, just a licence built Chevy Stovebolt 6! Most folks swap out the StoveBolt and swap in the V-8, or they do the earlier Chevy 292's or the MBZ Turbo Diesels! They are not bad rigs, but that 80's plastic interior was nothing but shit! The Rover Discovery first series were a far better rig, especially once you did the engine work, which wasn't all that complicated! I had one for a couple years, Loved it, but it got rolled bad in the snow, nothing wrong with the rig, just a bunch of idiot drivers that had no business driving in the snow and ice!

6. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Best Jeep EVER, hands down, No argument what so ever!
    My 72 Wagoneer, I swapped in a 500 Cadillac and TH-400 with a NP-205 Transfer case, this thing was bomb proof, got 20 MPG while doing 80 on the highway, rode like a caddy, and could wheel with the best!! Never should of sold it, I kick my self every time I think about it!
    [​IMG]

7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Second best jeep ever, the 52 Gladiator Pickup! Doesn't run or drive, but it's gonna be awesome some day!
    [​IMG]
    Wife's 55 Jeepster Project, she makes all the decisions and even turns the wrenches on it, it's her baby!
    [​IMG]

8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Is your Disco the older 3.9L V-8? There's a ton of stuff you can do to fix them up proper, the later 4.0L with the better Bosch Fuel Injection makes a world of difference, even better if it's one of the rare Manual trans versions! Outside of that, the Mercedes Benz Super Diesel conversion is bomb proof, and very powerful, it's almost a drop in swap, and they are reliable as death and taxes!

9. Andy the Aussie

I had two 60 series before the 80 and now my 76..... I don't know anyone with versions that are not diesel or with an auto box. Interesting as most of the Discos are considered "unfavourably" ;) here as well. 40/42/45/47 Series TLCs still hold a place in my heart (my first 4 wheel vehicle was an 82 BJ42 (B= Diesel F = petrol). My first 60 series was an 83, I sold it on with 350,000km on it, lost track of it (it went to someone I knew) after it had turned over 600,000km without the engine being touched and a bearing/seal job on the gearbox. Saw it down here in Sydney about 10yrs after my last update on it....blowing a good bit of smoke but still going, would have loved to have been able to stop and talk to the driver.

10. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I still have a '98 Cherokee with about 150k miles on it. It's an AZ car for most of it's life along with a 4.0L Auto trans 4WD. Steering is a little loose and it has a few issues but it runs well. Rear main leaks a little. Was the wife's car. She's gotten a replacement but I just can't let it go. No mods, straight stock.

11. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Ok Ura-Ki, you piqued my interest with the Cummins Diesel. I have a '97 Wrangler that's somewhat modified for off-road stuff, mild lift, limited slips front and rear. Kicked around a Diesel conversion awhile back but last price I remember was $28,500 and choked. What sources have you uncovered?

12. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

R2.8 Turbo Diesel | Cummins Inc.
    Price not including shipping or delivery was $6500 +Tax!
    Just checked the current price, it's around $8500 now, still, for a brand new universal damn near plug and play, not too bad!

13. sasquatch91

sasquatch91 Monkey+++

Would not mind a v8 cj5, but if im spendin money im buying a solid axle hilux!

14. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

Took a ‘65 Power Wagon and put a 5.9L Cummins in it w/5 speed tranny as my CME/EMP vehicle, getting sheet metal repaired as Michigan does use salt on top of the salt that comes with a side of salt. The old 383 got maybe 6 MPG, the diesel gets around 23 which is great as long as we have diesel.

15. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Bone stock Fuel injected 4 liter that's going to be eliminated from the herd once it's no longer needed as a back up vehicle. I'm surprised of it's capabilities off road considering what it weighs and no off road tires. It's one of four 4×4 vehicles I own, each has their purpose and are of different manufacturers.

16. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I have a pair or Power Wagons, the 48 WC-30 is a full resto-mod having the Cummins ITB 3.9L Turbo Diesel and automatic trans. It's got power steering and brakes now, and it has a kick ass heater as well as working A/C! The rest of it is completely stock, except the rims which I knocked the centers out of and had welded into a brand new set of wider rim barrels, so no more split rings, and I can run at highway speeds with out any issue. The 42 WC-27 is an ultra rare Half Cab Short Bed Truck, I also has the Cummins 4 banger but has the 6 speed from the later Dodge Cummins trucks. It does have power steering and brakes, but that's it. I did the rims differently, I took a full set of "Combat Rims" and had the outer barrel half's widened 2 1/2 inches, and then machined a new set of Rim-Lok's for them, mainly so they were stronger and would run truer with oversized tires! It has a full set of 40 inch Super Swamper Boggers on it, and two spairs, you get that stuck, you deserved it! It's still a works in progress, but it's just small stuff like paint and cab interior stuff! It has a really neat-o Jen-Poll setup in the bed, I modified it so it telescopes out about 6 more feet, has a lock in jib head with roller shives so I can run a couple of winch lines through it, now all I gotta do is get a couple of winches to run it!
    Both P.Ws have the factory Braden winches, the 42 actually has a pair, one in the rear in a custom mount between the frame rails, and still has the factory high twist shok load pintle hitch, those Dodge boys sure knew what they were doing when they designed and built these trucks!

17. Andy the Aussie

This is not a bad watch. I notice that most of the accessories they are fitting (air comps, bars etc are Australian, we have a huge aftermarket range for the 70series here)..

VisuTrac, Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  18. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Had a 2014 Jeep Wrangler. Soft top, no power anything. 285 HP, with a 6 speed manual tranny. It would go pretty much anywhere, and I thoroughly enjoyed driving it. (y)
    What I didn't enjoy, was the 17-18 MPG that I'd get with it. Didn't seem to matter whether I used the A/C or cruise control, that's what it averaged out to be. So while I loved driving it, I didn't love the frequent gas stops. :rolleyes:
    Unless you have the NEED for a 4WD, I'd suggest looking at some of the more modern AWD models. Yeah, you won't cut through that logging trail after a thunderstorm.....but do you really NEED to??
    #foodforthought

19. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

You cannot kill a
    Hilux pickup. The folks at TopGear tried, but failed. Funny three part video....

Dunerunner and VisuTrac like this.
  20. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

Ww drove the Hilux trucks in Egypt. They were indestructible. We got some bad diesel one time. The rigs engines were all down and our Chevy rig trucks were too. But the Hilux trucks never missed a beat.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7