Job as a Lifeguard for SHTF training?

Discussion in 'Survival of the Fittest' started by hollisticprepper, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Hello my fellow monkeys,

I had a thought earlier this afternoon, and thought I would offer it up here for critique. As we all know, your level of fitness is going to greatly affect your ability to survive. However, let's say, for example, that you come across a flooded area, and your BOV can't make it across. How would you get around this situation?

If you could swim across the area with your BOB, which I will estimate at being an extra 40 pounds on average, although you'd now have to walk the rest of the way, you can continue onward.

Another example of where swimming might come in as necessary is if you are being chased by a bunch of marauders. If you could swim across a river of some sorts, odds are, unless they have a boat, or are incredibly desperate, they won't want to get in the water to come after you.

However, this leads us to another problem: how do we manage to train for swimming with extra weight? My idea for this is to work on improving my swimming ability, and get a job as a lifeguard. Think about it. They are payed to carry extra weight (people who are drowning) while swimming. This not only gives you the training that you require, but it also gives you extra money to get a hold of the preps that you so badly require.

What do you guys think about this idea? Do you think it would work? Why, or why not? Any constructive criticism is welcome, as well as any suggestions you may have to help with this endeavor.

Sincerely,
    hollisticprepper

stg58 and Ganado like this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Going back a LOT of years, lifeguards don't carry loads until their feet hit bottom, they drag them on the surface. If your BOB floats, you are in like flynn, if not, it's an anchor. That said, the sort of training lifeguards get would be invaluable.

3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

It never hurts to know how. My daughter is training for EMS lifeguarding, and my son is interested in firefighting/paramedic. Useful skills all around.

Ganado and Dunerunner like this.
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

If one needs to cross a River, while on the move in a BO senecio, and they do it, by swimming. Putting their Cloths, shoes, and other stuff on a floating platform, of some kind, and pushing it across with them... Small trees, tied together as a raft works well.... The only thing you should carry on your person, is your Emergency Kit, which consists of, First: FireMaking Kit, Second: Knife, Third: One Days Energy Bar Rations.... And one set of light, dry Cloths, minus Shoes, in a Water Tight Bag.... Keep it small, and light... This gives one the best chance of recovering from the crossing, if you lose the Raft, with all your other Stuff... Basic Smarts learned from "Clan of the Cave Bear" Book Series, which I Highly Recomend, as Survival Reading Material, for Teens and Adults, and edited for children, by Parents....

5. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Useful skills, but having been a Red Cross Trained Lifeguard, they do not teach you how to swim nor does the training get you in shape for what you are proposing. I swam competitively form my Sophomore year in high school through my Sophomore year in college. My specialty was the 400 yard freestyle event, I also swam the 100 yard freestyle sprint. I also qualified as a rescue swimmer in the Navy.

As mentioned, as a rescue swimmer your victim floats and is balanced, or supported, on your hip as you swim side stroke. If this is what you want to do, I suggest getting into a 100 yard pool every day for two hours and swimming. I mean pushing yourself for time and distance, not a recreational swim. Do breast stroke, freestyle, backstroke, and butterfly. They build the muscle groups needed for what you will be asked to do in a SHTF situation. You can practice side stroke and scissor kick during your half hour cool down after your two hour workouts.

I used to hit the pool at 5:30AM, swim until 7:30AM, go to my classes, then get back into the pool after school for another two hours. By the time I lifeguarded and later entered the Navy I was in relatively good shape.

To address your question, buy a self inflating raft to carry your BOB and tow it across the lake, river, etc..... Switlik One Man liferafts

6. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

Somehow I don't think enough people find themselves drowning in the course of a day for this to be a realistic training program. [tongue]

Besides; what @ghrit said: the dragging vs carrying thing.
    Most of the lifeguards I've seen seem to spend lots of time sitting in very, very tall chairs on the beach.
    Good way to work on a tan.

@Dunerunner has some sound advice on how to assist someone in the water.

Nobody swims like a squid. (Except sometimes a Puddle Pirate)[tongue]

Me ? I'm 2,237 ft. above sea level and about 110 ft. above the nearest lake so I'm not too worried about flooding.
    IF I had to bug out I'd have the small canoe on toppa the truck.[coo]

7. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I have to possibly cross swamps and creeks to get home if I have to bug out from work...I have a small wheelbarrow inner tube and a can of fix a flat to handle those kinds of situations... light and multiple uses for an old broken down person like myself....;)

8. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

Go ahead and get the training, a portion of it is first aid and CPR. Don't count on the job teaching you that much, just the training for the certification. Sometimes getting the job will get you the training for free but be ethical (don't get a job and training with the intent to game the system and quit once certified) or just pay and get the training and cert. I paid for some of my soldiers a few years ago to get the Red Cross life guard training and it was less than $200 as I recall, and the first aid and CPR was separate. Most of the lifeguard training these days focus on just two strokes, breast stroke (so a float can be pushed ahead and never let your eyes loose sight of victim or victim's location as getting to right spot is more important than getting to wrong spot faster) and side stroke to haul them back.

Seems maybe more what you want to learn for your scenario is things like how to load and pack a backpack so it floats. How to cross water, etc. Some of the Army FMs address much of this. Study those. Have fun.

AT

Yard Dart likes this.
  9. GhettoPass

GhettoPass Monkey+

Great idea! I got into the pool at the apartments I live in. I felt like a rock trying to swim. It's been many years since I was The assistant aviation life support officer in HI. Giving Over water survival classes to anyone flying between islands within the battalion.

For everybody, it's a good idea to know how to use your clothes to make a flotation device. And it might be a great idea to have inflatable bladders for your GHB/BOB So they'll float if the need arises.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  10. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Depending on where you live you can get the training for free. And yes take the course, CPR how to handle water injuries etc all great training. The best thing it taught me was size doesn't matter in the water. Keeping you head does.

When I passed my test the 1st time there were 2 females and 21 males 17 to 24 in age. Our instructor prided himself on a 50% fail rate. He brought in this big handsome marines, solid muscle, for us to drag out of the water on the final test. My guy had put baby oil all over himself so I dove under him came up from behind and grabbed a nerve armpit carry. (One of the things they teach you is how to pacifi scared paniced people)

Despite how painful that must have been for him he fought me the whole way. I dug in and he had gouges under his arms but by gosh he did not get away.

He told me later he took one look at me with my curves and decided I was going to be easy and he later told me he wouldnt make that mistake again.

My point is. Rescue in the water is not as easy as it looks and when you are snorting water and trying for air, keeping your head together is imperative so it's great training for alot of reasons. Good luck!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
    Mountainman, techsar, kellory and 2 others like this.
  11. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

As others have stated, a lifeguard training program is great to have as another skill set in your tool box. They will reinforce that first aid card you have (you have one right!!) as well as teach you other lifesaving skills.

I would always recommend getting in the pool and putting many laps behind you. Build that upper body strength and push yourself...and reap the physical benefits that you will gain overall.

If you use waterproof bags inside your ruck, it will act as a flotation device if packed properly. If you are on a fast movement.... cross the river or other water obstacle clothed and swap to dry socks once you get to the other side and your area is secure. Or you can just strip down, put your clothing, boots and such in your extra waterproof bag in the ruck and make the water crossing.
    Amazon.com - USGI Army Navy Waterproof Laundry Bag ("Dry Bag"), Set of 2 - Military Waterproof Bag
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2015
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7