Journey of a sheep

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Vetter, Dec 29, 2011.

1. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

Vett, I'm not a Technical or Mechanical Monkey like you & BTPOST, but I think I see the problem. Your pulley is turning the alternator Directly. You need sum gears!!! So that less belt turning equals more of the alternator pulley turning.

2. Vetter

Vetter Monkey+

In my lowest gear I was making 86 watts at around a cadence of 102 with my HR at 155. That's where im the most efficient. I had just enough gear. What I need is more" engine"!! My LT is actually 165-170, so I had a few more watts in my pocket. While this thing is entirely inefficient, it does make me want to get back into shape, and then see what I could really do. I have always wanted to train for an ironman tri!

BTPost likes this.
  3. STANGF150

LoL not gears on the Bike, Gears on the Alternator Pulley. So you get more turns of it for less turns of the bike wheel. Maybe a smaller pulley wheel on the Alternator.

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Mechanically, it makes no difference where the gears are. If it would fit, a larger drive wheel would have the same effect, as would using a lower ratio (higher gear) in the derailleur while "riding." Yep, doing so would increase the output, but at the same time increase the input effort.

As for me, I'll have a cold beer in the sun while old sol charges the batteries.

tacmotusn, larryinalabama and BTPost like this.
  5. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Vetter, Welcome to the Tree! This should have been better titled "Evolution of a Sheepdog"! You left the 'wool' behind. (y)

tacmotusn and tulianr like this.
  6. Vetter

Vetter Monkey+

Sheep boy's first BOB

Putting together my first BOB. I live 56 miles from work, and bypass all cities. Im trying to keep it lite so I can move FAST. I expect no more than two days to get home. Let me know what I should add.
    Pants, Shirt, Beenie
    Gloves, Socks, 4 Water
    Trail Mix, 4 Granola bars, Light w/spare batteries(300 lumen)
    Lighter, Pine shavings/lint, Zippo catalytic hand warmer
    Knife(SOG folder), Multi tool(leatherman supertool)
    Electrical tape, 15 ft rope, Spare contact lense
    Glock 19 in my truck with two spare mags and two boxes of extra ammo
    2011-12-30_23-09-32_593.
    Plan to add a Map, Compass, and first aid kit. Both my sisters are DRs so Im trying to get them to make me a list. But they don't take me very serious.........

7. STANGF150

Vetter, I'd say add sum matches. Multiple sources of Fire Starters are a GOOD thing. As well as one those emergency Mylar reflective blanket thingys. A 35mm film can with sum cotton balls soaked in Vaseline to help start fires. An if this going in a pack, a small hatchet or E-tool shovel. A hank or two of Paracord might come in handy as well. Oh an ya might like a few items of the First Aid kind.

8. ghrit

56 miles would be a hard pressed march unladen, 20 miles is a hasty move under the best of conditions unless you are in outstanding condition. Gear up for 4 days and plan on a slower transit. If it all goes under, the walk might not be so smooth. Add more socks. Throw out the red tape and add some (not a full roll) of duct tape. Hand warmer fuel? Decon straws or iodine tabs (4 liters of water is not enough) and maybe a small pot to boil casual water for washing feet, hands, and face (dirt in the water is no problem if you boil it.) Agree on the matches in a water PROOF container such as the Boy Scouts sell. Agree on the space blanket. Throw out the rope and go with paracord, about 50 feet. Holster. A glock in your pocket will be troublesome.

You might find a roll of TP quite valuable.

Yep, getting heavier, but more sure, too.

tulianr likes this.
  9. weegrannymush

weegrannymush Monkey+

I think you are being a bit skimpy on food and fluids. I would also include an emergency space blanket. Also blister dressings and ointment. Would a small emergency dynamo radio be helpful to you...you would need to know what was happening if you were any time at all on the road. Doesn't need to go in your backpack, could go on your belt perhaps?

tulianr likes this.
  10. Vetter

Vetter Monkey+

If I was in the same condition I was last year, my BOB would consist of my tri shorts, shoes, Gu, and a camelback. No better time to try my first Ultra Marathon than TEOTWAWKI. :)
    56 miles is really not that far. Im thinking that If I can get home in less than two days, things wont be that bad yet? Again, I wont be passing through any cities. And, if im not carrying anything that looks worth stealing.......? Im not worried about my feet until Im looking at 200+miles
    Maybe I should rethink that though.
    Def toss the rope for paracord and electrical tape for duct. thats just what I had laying around.

11. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Get out and WALK that BO route, see just how long it does take you now, when it's not a matter of life & death! Then you can adjust plans and gear accordingly.

12. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I hate to burst your balloon but.....

I hate to burst your balloon but.....there is a difference between running an ultra marathon race and patrolling back to your home, or forward to your survival retreat. The reality is that you will confront natural and man made obstacles, feral animals (two legged and four legged) will be more prevalent in a PAW environment), hostile weather may make rivers and creeks impassible for days at a time, you may have to factor in the possibility that you may be injured or sick: 56 miles may just as well be 200 miles under those circumstances. In good conditions...at patrolling speed you may make about 1k an hour....if in country with dense vegetation and in mountainous terrain it could be much less. In a PAW environment, you will probably be resting and frequently stopping to observe, they are not things that tend to be done in an ultra marathon. Going slower means that at any time your energy reserves will be more able to deal with emergencies than if you are maxing your energy consumption in competitive running.

This is a risky assumption....you feel that you don't have anything worth stealing, but it doesn't follow that a bandit will know that....and may not try to find out until after they put a slug or two through you first. It also assumes that what you think isn't worth stealing isn't what a bandit thinks isn't worth stealing. The bandit may have their own ideas on that matter. An ill fitting pair or shoes/boots in poor condition may be better than no boots at all to them.

Survival will require measures of both boldness and caution....the art of it is to apportion wisely between both of them at any one moment.

tulianr likes this.
  13. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Ever thought of storing an old bike at work? It should speed you up considerably.

14. Vetter

Vetter Monkey+

15. Vetter

Vetter Monkey+

Swapped out pulley today. With the better traction I picked up to 102 watts...... :)

16. Vetter

Vetter Monkey+

Ok ok ok.
    2nd try
    Ive added:
    2nd lighter, matches in pill bottle, Magnesium fire starter
    100ft paracord
    small squirt bottle with extra camp fuel for handwarmer
    2 ramen noodles, can of soup, couple packs of oatmeal
    2 cans of coke
    coffee filters
    Binoculars
    heavy jacket
    sleeping bag in truck(plan to buy one of those compact ones that will fit into my pack)

Ive now outgrown my northface backpack so I guess I need a bigger bag. suggestions?
    Still plan to add some MREs, water purification pills, more water.

I have an M&P15. should I break it down and put it into bag(when I get a bigger bag)? Its got a scope on it as Ive been using it to deer hunt(trying to pick that up as a new skill), so ive been thinking about buying a plum crazy lower(composite) and a cheap upper just to have in my bag. That is, if you guys suggest I have a rifle in my bag..........

17. STANGF150

i'd suggest a small tarp, with it & the paracord you can make adequate shelter. Cuz being wet sucks!! Shouldn't need a rifle unless you can't hide well. I'd suggest a small hatchet in its place. Maybe a small tube of Hand Sanitizer, cuz its flammable as hell for starting fires. LoL

18. ghrit

Make the tarp a space blanket for multiple uses.

19. Vetter

Vetter Monkey+

Suggestions on bags?
    BTW the ATACS 870 I ordered last week arrived and im tempted to shove it into my bag.

20. Smitty

Smitty Monkey+

Maxpedition makes good bags and I've always been a fan of Kelty as well. Used a kelty on all my long distance backpacking trips. I would recommend a natural dark color so that you don't stand out. Camo is an option if you live in an area where camo is the norm. Wouldn't recommend it in an urban environment....ymmv

Smitty

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7