Jungle Boot conversion.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by robfindlay, Sep 22, 2008.

1. robfindlay

robfindlay Monkey++

Hey everyone....new here, hope this is the right place.....to ask.

I have two pairs of broken in jungle boots, is it possible to "winterize" one pair?

Don't have the cash for a standard combat boot right now.

Also what do you guys recomend for insoles? I've always used odor eaters :)

Slàinte mhath
    -Rob

2. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

If they are true jungle boots, they will be hard to winterize as the leather is thinner than usual. The water drain ports can be plugged, but they are a heat sink. The canvas sides are excellent for heat transference, but that isn't what you want for winter. The soles are hard plastic and will transfer the cold from the hard ground right to your feet.
    So, if you are wanting to wear them for winter, heavy sock, but then the boots will probably be tight, another means for transfering heat out of your boots. If you haven't gathered by now, jungle boots suck for winter use.

3. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

Best advice I can give you is to check your surplus store and even Ebay for used sets of boots, winter ACU boots show up every now and then at my local surplus store.

4. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

Which sole would be best for winter, rubber or leather? Would an overcover to repel moisture work?

5. robfindlay

robfindlay Monkey++

I'm going to scotch-guard the upper canvas parts, then go ape with hubbards not the oil the greasy stuff, and reapply as needed and or a 2nd layer of scotch-guard over the hubbards.

Though looking around i found some surplus ISSUED Austrian boots: 30 bucks plus shipping.
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=38137

And a pair of magnum insoles and I think I'll be good.

-Rob
    <!-- / message --> <!-- controls --> [​IMG]

6. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Order at least a size larger than normal - the European boots tend to run small for us big-footed Americans.

7. robfindlay

robfindlay Monkey++

Here's the thing, i wear a size 8 to 8 1/2 and my chicom boots are 7. Weird....thats what i hate about mail ordering clothes, can't ry em on.

-Rob

8. CBMS

CBMS Looking for a safe place

Hey Rob if you have 30 bucks to spend, why not try Ebay. Its where I got my Boots. They are working for me so far! If you want a place recommendation let me know.
    Remember Get US MADE everything, because we equip our (marines) soldiers the best we know how.

9. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

CBMS is right, if you have $30 plus shipping to spend, you can find really nice Bosnia boots with the winter inserts for that kind of money.

10. robfindlay

robfindlay Monkey++

I am a firm believer that in any hike/trek or whatever, you wear your hiking/combat boots, and in your bad you have a nice comfy broken in pair of trainers or "tennis shoes" as we used to call them packed away.

Not as much traction, but if you devlope blisters or sore spots bandage them up and switch to shoes that wont rub in the same places.

Chuck Taylors roll up real nice too :)

Slàinte mhath
    -Rob

11. robfindlay

robfindlay Monkey++

12. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Bates says this about sizing Bates Footware

I also found something about sizing in general here

13. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

A votre sante', robfindlay, and welcome aboard.

14. robfindlay

robfindlay Monkey++

Slàinte mhath is actually Scots-Gaelic (guessed you kneew that!) for "Good Health" said before taking a drink.

Pronounced something like slan ze va. Pretty alien to english.

Slàinte mhath
    -Rob

15. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Don'tscrimp on boots! I bought a pair of "sheboygan": brand insulated hunting boots in cali in 1980, for $85.00 which at the time was the most expensive pair of anyfootwear I ever bought. Stlll have ' em not one seam has ripped out! Soles are still grippy! Insulated so they only get worn in late fall winter and early spring..

16. robfindlay

robfindlay Monkey++

Well my sister saw me online looking at boots and thought she'd be nice and buy me an early xmas gift: She was at wally-world and saw a pair of Brahma boots called "SWAT" so naturally she bought em.

Now I've used their work boots before and they've held up pretty well I imagine these will "hold up" likewike....but I'm still saving for a pair of Cocoran jump boots :)

Slàinte mhath
    -Rob

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7