Just A Question I Have

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by beast, Aug 11, 2011.

1. beast

beast backwoodsman

when TSHTF and there are no stores, shops or suppliers
    and everything youve boughten through the years is wearing
    out, worn out or broken, how many of these things can any of you make
    or rebuild on your own?
    like shell casings, guns, batteries, radios all the things you need to keep going
    will you just try to survive without them or trade for someones used ones
    or find a way around it?

Motomom34 and Kingfish like this.
  2. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

Beast, you know how much shooting it takes to wear out the barrel of a Gun? I'd have to live longer than Moses to wear out all the barrels of all my Guns!!! An it depends on how stout you are reloading as to how long you cases will last. Sum folks have reloaded the same cases so many times with their favorite load, they've lost count of how many times each batch of cases has been reloaded!!!

Motomom34 and chelloveck like this.
  3. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Unless you shooting competitively or something; the average rifle will outlast a few owners.

;)

chelloveck likes this.
  4. Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog survival of the breed

I have thought about the same thing I bought an extra upper and spring kit for my ar. The upper I bought peice by peice so I could learn about how to put one together or replace parts. I also bought an extra barrel for my 1911 and my glock. along with trigger kits incase I would have to replace them. Im hoping to learn reloading in the next couple of months after I get my building up. As far as radios I'll have to try and scavage one from the rubble I have no idea.

5. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

There was an article in Field & Stream a couple of years ago that went over this very thing. I checked the FS website and found something similar, but didn't have the exact verbiage I remembered about the 30-30. So, I kept searching and found a post on another forum that covered the article.

Bore Life of Centerfire Rifles - Shooters Forum

Now, keep in mind, the author was looking at accuracy after X# of shots. He's not saying after 1,500 rounds, the barrel will fail.

What I recall from the article before finding the above post was the old rounds (e.g., 30-30, 30-'06) were the ones that will last with their accuracy intact.

Not to hi-jack your thread, but, I've been thinking about similar issues, but it revolves around tools. I've been stocking up on hand tools (e.g., saws, auger/drills...basically, all the stuff you'd find at the Amish workbench).

6. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I have a rifle that was my Great-Grandmothers that I needed to have the barrel re-lined. There was NO rifling left in the barrel. I had the barrel relined by a pro. Would that be available Post SHTF? prolly not.
    More that the barrel I would be stocking up (and I do) on springs, screws and like parts.

As far as batteries, well, hopefully by the time my supply is depleated there will be a replacement for them. Or, just go without, man got along just fine for many years without them.

Somethings you just may have to learn how to scavenge from one to fix another.

7. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

I also collect hand tools that would be useful during hard times...and to get back to barrel life, I have my grandfathers Winchester 94 that he bought in 1927 (30-30) and i don't know how many rounds have been through it, but I do know it has killed hundreds of deer...it is not pretty but it still shoots like a champ...:D

BTPost likes this.
  8. beast

beast backwoodsman

i just used guns as an example, there are a lot more things tho
    that we use everyday without thinking about them replacing them
    brooms, scrub brushes, hair brushes, shovels, hoes, rakes, pitchforks
    plows, rototillers, dishes, coffee pots, fry pans, buckets, barrels
    wheel barrows, towels, clothing, lanterns and utinsels to name just a few
    its good to collect the old tools, i do that too
    plus ive learned how to make or repair most of them
    these are the kind of things i was really thinking about

9. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Barrel Failure...Talk to B.T.Post...He hit the nail on the head a while back...about droids ''dumping'' a whole mag. time after time through a firearm and more or less smoking the barrel until it was an anchor...and then whin and snivel about they could'nt hit jack...
    Go figure...

10. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

we are going to do what our forefathers and mothers did.
    brooms :: straw affixed to a stick
    scrub brushes :: loofa sponges, sand, old fishing line
    hair brushes :: boar hair pulled through wood, whittle a comb, make a comb from scrap metal.
    shovels,hoes, rakes, pitchforks,plows,frying pan :: go see the blacksmith, he will be good to go again.
    rototillers :: Pigs
    dishes :: carving out of burl or wood turned on manual powered lathe.
    coffee pots, buckets,lanterns :: go see the tin smith or make your self.
    barrels :: go see the barrel cooper.
    wheel barrows :: again i'm thinking wood.
    towels, clothing :: spin wool, cotton or other fiber. heck maybe hemp will return to fashion
    utensils :: silver smith might have to make do with pewter though.

do all of us have the knowledge to make all of the above? Probably not but if you are a true monkey, I'll bet you could make something that works. Necessity is the mother of inventions, your brain and hands are the tools to create the inventions.

Are we going to have the same comfort level and ease of living. No way. Will we get by? You betcha! Ok we will but them idiots in DC I hope they don't make it.

11. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

yup...and clothes that will last a few years of hard use. You should check out Duluth Trading Post's fire-hose pants. Those things are just about bomb-proof.

Men's Pants - Duluth Trading Company

12. beast

beast backwoodsman

thats why i took up smithin a long time ago and still practice at it :D

STANGF150 likes this.
  13. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

Guys, ya'll might want to check something Chelloveck posted and I converted to PDF...Handy Farm Devices. I loved it so much I bought the book. It can be found in PDF here:
    http://www.survivalmonkey.com/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=61

A lot of practical devices for farm and home.

Edit: I am having file location issues. Can someone please verify the file on the server?

arleigh and chelloveck like this.
  14. kckndrgn

Falcon, I'm interested in the PDF, but the link just give me a "404 file not found" error Can you PM it to me?

15. beast

beast backwoodsman

im gettin the same error also

16. Falcon15

I am getting the error as well on that file and others on the Monkey server. I am contacting a mod about it...

17. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

The server had a recent upgrade, and not everything was tended to. In the works ---

18. Falcon15

It is fixed guys, download away...

19. kckndrgn

Thanks, got it. Looks interesting.

chelloveck likes this.
  20. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I have spare handles for all my axes and hammers, splitting mauls, shovels and rakes. I can also carve new ones from saplings if necessary. I also can trade with the Amish who live down the street. KF

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7