Just A Question I Have

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by beast, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

The Amish that live down the street may benefit from your non-Amish arsenal. Sweet deal all around.

chelloveck likes this.
  2. oth47

oth47 Monkey+

I have the book mentioned,Handy Farm Devices.Well worth the purchase price.I prefer my books in paper form,but whatever works for you. :)

Motomom34 and chelloveck like this.
  3. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I have a .12 gague shotgun with over 10k registered target plus 1,000's of practice rounds shot out of it.... a reason to make sure you have a shottie.... you can't shoot out the barrell...;)

chelloveck and Ganado like this.
  4. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I agree completely!!! [chopper]

5. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

One of the things I have been stock piling is welding supplies along with fasteners for construction and making repairs.
    Things may be reduced to blacksmithing and cobbling thing back together ,but for as long as possible, I plan on using the most efficient means to do so, till improvising becomes absolutely necessary.
    I figure in replacing the windows with plywood post SHTF along with several periscopes .
    (Ways to observe the out side with out compromising your position. )

On guns ,
    Since I was a kid guns wore out in the chamber because people were pushing the limits and really hot charges. this breaks frames and stresses all the parts of the gun .
    As a result I have learned not to stress my weapons , it's is simply not necessary. EVER .
    I practice with lite loads and hunt with factory loads .period .
    It is not necessary to practice with magnum rounds developing muscle memory , but just before hunting I will spend a few mag rounds to make sure the scope is lined up.

Recently I've been cutting wood and my old standby Homelite saw has just about seen it's day so I broke into a new saw I had in storage . this one I will use till I've patched the Homelite back in service. I go through a lot of oil ,which i have a surplus of thanks to my brother and getting the recycled oil from his air compressor shop .
    That old homelite is probably 40 years old ,used when I got it 30 years ago.
    Since my dad was an antique collector, I had the task of repairing lots of obsolete stuff ,for which there are no spare parts.
    Top of that my own family ,we used a lot of antiques regularly , My kids didn't know they are antiques till we went to an antique store.
    Locks that wore out I rebuilt , appliances that failed I repaired ,some times robbing parts of other appliances that failed in some other way.
    It's not a matter of being a cheapskate, but living with in one's means and making use of materials/information at hand.
    As a result my kids know how to fix things.

6. john316

john316 Monkey+++

Ganado likes this.
  7. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Yard Dart likes this.
  8. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

If the S-ever-HTF in any meaningful way, there will be 80-90% dieoff (just if electricity alone goes down) and so many tools laying around, whoever is left won't have to worry about making any for at least a 100 years. Does anyone know anyone that has actually worn out a steel shovel ? (not the handle....the business end)

I bought a contractor type wheelbarrow in 1976.....still got it. Replaced the handle set once (like Kingfish says, could carve my own out of hickory if need be), and replaced the tire a few years back with a solid, no-flat version. 40 years old, and still use it in the basement regular to move wood from the stack to the wood elevator. My guess is someone else will inherit it.

Ganado, chelloveck and BTPost like this.
  9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yep, I've seen it done with grain scoops, square ended clay spades, and with regular spades used on concrete. There is NOT ONE tool that can't be misused until it turns to scrap.

Motomom34 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7