Just completing Aquaponics System

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Seacowboys, Feb 26, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I have had pretty good luck with celery in my aquaponics beds but that may well be because of the higher concentrations of nitrates and the continual cycle of immersion and drying of the roots

ahha! Beet greens! one of my favorite greens and until now, haven't considered recycling them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2014
    Dunerunner likes this.
  2. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Isn't the enlightenment of a new or different idea to try a wonderful way to brighten ones day?

3. Pineknot

Pineknot Concrete Monkey

Fall project, is the engineer the pig, @Seacowboys

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  4. Seacowboys

LOL, not, I designed this myself.

5. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@Seacowboys How grows your garden??? This is a very nice set up!

6. Seacowboys

mostly just producing strawberries right now but getting ready for some fall tomatoes and maybe some broccoli

Ganado and ghrit like this.
  7. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

When I need a pick me up I co.e really read this thread. The crane, the frogs and they way you tell this experimental project just makes me smile. Than you for sharing your successes and failures.

Did you ever figure out a back up system for your pumps?

I can see that on a high density system like you have, if you were completely dependant on it for food multiple backups aren't optional

Motomom34 likes this.
  8. Seacowboys

Actually, Harbor Freight has really cheap sump pumps that seem to work best, I just keep a number of spares on hand and swap them out when needed. Cleaning the pump intakes of moss and leaves daily is a requirement, especially in summer. I have visual clues as to if they are pumping, a waterfall and a well pump fountain that if they are slow. it's time to clean the pumps.

Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  9. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

Sea buy the waranty on them and just return them when you got a few busted ones ...

10. duane

duane Monkey+++

I love your high tech water flow meter solution , a waterfall, and pressure monitor , a fountain, and will continue to follow your project with interest as such insights don't show up in the commercial systems. Usually they try to sell you triple redundant meters with a back up power supply and remote computer readouts for only $***. All kinds of solutions with even more built in places to fail. Sounds like your high tech would be a paddle wheel in the waterfall turning an old style mechanical music box for an audio as well as visual monitoring system. Please continue to enlighten us with all the details.

Ganado likes this.
  1. Asia-Off-Grid
  2. Asia-Off-Grid
  3. janderson
  4. AxesAreBetter
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. natshare
  8. Ganado
  9. Ganado
  10. Yard Dart
  11. Asia-Off-Grid