Just got back from Walton Feed

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by NVBeav, Jan 21, 2008.

1. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

I'm only about 700 miles from Walton Feed, so I took the opportunity to drive out there with the family and pick up an order. The time spent with wife and daughter was well worth any expense, but I must say we saved about $100 over having the stuff shipped UPS to us.

Not much to say about Walton except they seemed like pretty good people. They buy most of their grain fairly locally and they don't have a huge overhead (it seems). They're in the heart of Mormon country so they're probably quite busy selling to fairly local buyers in SLC and the surrounding area.

The price of wheat is raising. It appears set to raise another ~10% at Walton alone this coming week -- so the 6-gal SP bucket will go to about $25. Since it's supposed to last 20+ years, I'm hoping to finish the last of it about then :^)

Watch out for their on-line order "shopping basket"; I thought I'd selected a few items in it and they weren't there when I double-checked my list.

This seems like as good a time as any to get prepared with bulk items -- we've got a huge number of farmers that want to actually make money by growing corn for ethanol. It will be interesting to see what actually becomes of the farmers that were paid to NOT grow wheat (gov't program), and if they start actually growning with the ~3-fold wheat price increase. Wish I were a farmer right now... now I just need to learn how to cook wheat.

2. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Only 700 miles?

Did you mean 70, or do we (here in the east/midwest) have a different mindset on what's a long way?

3. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

It was about 700 miles and worth the drive. It took one day to get there, but we split the drive coming back into 2 days -- it was definitely at the limit of our tolerance for "long weekend" trips.

4. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

I put an order in for a ton of stuff.....motor freight shipping to my house 460 FRNs......I can't come close to driving out there for that even one way.

5. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

460 bucks is a great price... I'll definitely look into motor freight if I ever put together another order. There's still hope for some friends here in Western Nevada that I'd like to see get emergency supplies.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7