Just Like Andrew, Floridians Not Prepared

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ghostrider, Aug 28, 2005.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

BEAR, Where did that report come from? I want to post it elsewhere but want to see the source before I become the Town Cryer

2. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

New Orleans is toast by the looks of that photo

3. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

I didn't see it on the NWS site.
    http://www.srh.noaa.gov/lix/

4. melbo

neither did I and the text seems to have more 'flavor' than microsoft sam usually put into the alerts. I want to see the source before I pass it on

5. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I hate those NWS bulletins. We get them all the time for thunder storms here in Kansas. They are always the worst case scenario, I sometimes think to CYA. We got a TRW warning tonight for large hail and damaging winds and all we got was a gust front without a single drop of water. You gotta suspect something is amiss when "all gable roofs will fail" or "all low rise wood apartments will fail" "Certain death" NWS has always been a chicken little. Not to belittle the fact that New Orleans is going to get a real street cleaning, but when you use words like all and certain, with a storm that is packing the punch of a F3 tornado, I feel is going a little overboard with the scare tactics!

6. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

7. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Oh, not saying it won't scrub the puke stains off burbon street, just hate the NWS's maximum devistation forcast as if that is exactly how it will happen. Went back and re-read it again and found the "all livestock exposed to the wind will die" Yet, all wood framed buildings will be destroyed! I can guarantee you that tomorrow when this thing passes through, within hours, you will see birds flying around.

8. melbo

I have been to NO, I knew some of the history and I new about flooding... What I didn't know was the elevation graph I saw tonight... Can't find it online, but The missippi on one point and Lake Pontch on the other side... bad looking situation if 30' comes in.

My neighbor and good friend Buz was a NO native and spent the better part of his Legal/Judge/ie: insider years there. He told me that this storm track is the oscenario that they have dreaded for years...

If all that water gets in, the pumps that normally keep the city dry will fail, than the very levies that are there to keep the water out will keep it in... He has family there and as of 4 hours ago , they were still stuck in traffic ... the slow to get out that is..

I bet we se a real problem here.

as for the All LiveStock will die... That's why I was asking the source... That doesn't soiund lke the NOAA alerts I hear.

I guess we'll se.

9. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

10. Bear

11. Bear

one more.... this one is going to bad .... maybe for alot of us....

[​IMG]

12. Bear

One more....

[​IMG]

13. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Dunno the source, but a reputed NOAA rep read it out, word for word. on the local BBC affiliate station. Katri is getting world wide coverage.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7