Just when did a “Snow Storm” become a State of Emergency?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BTPost, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

It's a threefold issue:
    States must declare a state of emergency to get FEMA monies, so they do it often.
    Headlines sell, so news outlets sensationalize to sell advertising inventory
    Many insurance policies have small print excluding coverage for "named storms", thus the frenzy to put a name on everything bigger than a thunderstorm/

2. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

I'd rather deal with the hurricanes! When it's gone at least it's warm in the area.

Ura-Ki, oldman11, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  3. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Wait until spring. That's when we'll get back on the sea level rise, "sunny day flooding" band wagon. "Experts" tell us that we need to move everything inland to a minimum elevation of 150 feet. Snow melt and rising rivers in the spring is apparently something they've never noticed before. Sea levels must be rising, says some author on NPR, because this sidewalk in Miami keeps getting wet. Nothing about the explosion of paved areas and inadequate planning for storm water runoff, or the neglected small streams that might help drain the water away. It's hard to be a believer in this "unprecedented" sea level rise when I know of ancient historic places along the coast that are still at the waters edge.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  4. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

perhaps it's easier to get the people afraid of 'Tiffany'. Give it a name so we can demonize it; Thus increasing fear and boosting ratings.

Edit: I'll be afraid of a named storm when they name it Reaper.

Ura-Ki, sec_monkey, oldman11 and 2 others like this.
  5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Relax Comrades,This is just an ongoing condition program to be dependent upon the state control programs and news!

Pretty much a mix of ''The Sky is Falling''and ''The Swedish Syndrome''

SB21, Ura-Ki, sec_monkey and 2 others like this.
  6. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

Walter Cronkite and David Brinkley only did a half hour news cast once or twice a day. Due to time limitations, they had to be choosy about what stories they ran. Walt & Dave didn't have a cooking segment, funny pets, or trivia pieces either.

Now we have a 24 hour news cycle and 24 hour news channels. Not that I'm one to defend the media, but they have to fill that time with something.

SB21, ghrit, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  7. Sister's in-laws moved to S. Mo. after retiring. Bud was out using chain saw in 40F weather, no coat, flannel shirt. Neighbor told him he was gonna freeze. 'nother time Bud drove to town in 3" snow. School was closed, most of town was too. 3"!!

8. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Not sure where you're at , but that happens around here as well . They say people in the south can't drive in the snow , and to a point I will agree with that , Hell ,around here they can't even drive in the rain , I never could figure out why a little water makes so many people stupid . I feel I am an exception in that statement as I go where I need to go no matter what the weather is.

9. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I've seen some really memorable snow driving here in The Old North State. Guys with four wheel drive get the idea that they are invincible when it snows. I saw a guy down the street with a Jeep run straight out of his driveway, across the road, and into the ditch on the other side. During the 1993 snow I saw a Ford Bronco that had gone off the highway, flipped on its roof and slid a considerable distance in the opposite direction in the median, ending up in a creek at the bottom of a shallow valley. (all of our valleys are shallow)

I try to remember the skill these drivers exhibited when I hear announcements of "might snow days" or two hour delays because of rain.

10. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

4wd is for getting you out when 2wd gets you in. (Yeah, I know that's an oversimplification.) One thing is certain, 4wd traction helps with the go, but actually decreases braking; often a fact lost by new 4wd owners. (Think about that, you'll find truth there. Not a lot of loss, but still--)

11. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Yep , seen those guys around here as well . 4 wheel drive is not a cure all , It will help you move , but does nothing in helping you stop . I thought this was funny , this last storm we had , dumped about 6 inches of snow here . The guy across the street is a full bred New Yorker , the loud mouth type . Lives up on a hill . with 6 inches of snow , the top layer was about 2 inches of sleet . He tried to leave out in a Ford Fusion , he might have 8 inches of ground clearance . Well , coming down his drive , at the bottom , he couldn't stop and just about fell off into a 4 foot deep ditch . This , as well as getting up the 25-30 degree slope in the road getting out of this place .
    And ,honestly , I don't mean any disrespect to any NY'ers . He's just the type that thinks we're all a bunch of dumb hicks . Kind of like the Commiefornians leaving and spreading their disease in other areas out that way .

oldman11, Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  12. SB21, I live where THE RIVER runs west. On the right bank.

oldman11, SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

4X4 simply gets you stuck deeper in the weeds.
    I drove my '75 Firebird at 15MPH across west Texas in the winter of 1983-1984 for a Navy tech school assignment. Couldn't go faster on I10 without spinning, couldn't stop as all motels were full. Had a motorhome go blasting past me. Found him a mile down the highway, where it turned. He didn't. Plowed in and turned over. Cop was already on him so I drove on.
    Temp was -19F. windchill, snowing. I10 was solid ice.
    I got across in the morning. By noon I had my window down (no AC) wearing a T-shirt! The snowline had dipped way down into Texas, then went way back north as I drove west towards sunny California!

oldman11, Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  14. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Ha, I prefer the mud, Even to the point of going sideways down the road.
    Seen plenty of Snow pile-ups up Nawth,Trouble is we learn somewhat from our mistakes,Up Nawth,Not so much !

Alf60, oldawg, oldman11 and 3 others like this.
  15. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

The best vehicle I had for snow was my 1984 ford tempo with a stick, and honest to god directional snow tires. they were skinny tall suckers that gave me an additional inch of ground clearance. I could plow through just about any amount of snow as long as I kept the momentum up and the floor pan didn't float up on the drifts.

But keeping a couple of snow shovels in your car is wise (along with the rest of your winter kit)

3cyl, oldman11, sec_monkey and 2 others like this.
  16. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

:ROFLMAO:,,Ok , you're the one behind that stand of Oak tree's with few scattered pines , right ?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

oldman11, sec_monkey and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I have had FWD since I owned my first truck... ‘55 Dodge PowerWagon Panel Truck... Flathead Six, Granny 1st, and two speed TransferCase... PTO Winch on the Front... Came with 4:88 Diffs but I switched them to 4:11 Possies & 16” Wheels, to get better Milage... Courted AlaskaChick in that Rig... We still talk about “The Pig” with fond memories... Then came the Subaru Wagon, and after that a Nissan 4X4 Pickup.... Then AlaskaChick was given a Red Toyota 4X4 Pickup by a couple of MDs that were going overseas with MDs w/o Boarders, and we used that as our FlatLands Truck, until the Breaks rotted away, and the frame rusted thru... Last but NOT the least we have our ‘06 White.Toyota 4X4 Pickup... I have never had to be rescued, by anyone else, and I have done the rescuing many times over the years...AlaskaChick got “The Pig” stuck in a deep MudHole once, while in 2WD, and called me to find out how to put the rig in FWD... I told her the proceedure for the Hubs, and Low Gear TransferCase... She had to dig down in the mud to get to the Hub Levers, but drove it right out, once she got things set up.... Oh, and shegot the Rhino660 stuck way back in the woods once... I had to winch that one out, to the. Road... about 50ft...Totally High Centered, and wouldn’t move, even in FWD, with locked Differentials... We laugh about that time as well....

18. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

FWIW, there's a fairly significant difference between AWD and FWD or 4WD. When speaking to city folks, sometime an education is worth it. Fixed minded (pick a snowflake city) folks get themselves and others in trouble by misusing acronyms.

Gator 45/70, oldman11, SB21 and 2 others like this.
  19. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Down here in Not-Always-Sunny Florida, we learn to drive on sand and mud, not snow and ice. The few times I've had to drive on icy roads were true butt-puckering events!
    One buddy from high school had an old 1969 VW Squareback (stationwagon) that he bombed around in the woods with. He'd get up speed and skip it across washouts and mudholes! He actually pulled a Jeep from a mudhole once. That Jeep just needed a little more help to get out. But, my huddy went through many engine blocks on that Veedub. Kept blowing them up!
    Thank God he never got a 4X4, he'd have gotten it stuck way out in the boonies!
    I try to educate people on the difference between 4X4 and AWD, but they just can't grasp it.

Gator 45/70, oldman11 and sec_monkey like this.
  20. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I don't need no stinkin' 4x4! When it snows we stay home. We don't do any plowing or shoveling either. God made snow white for a reason, and if you slip and fall that's on you!

Alf60, Gator 45/70, 3cyl and 5 others like this.
  1. Bandit99
  2. Ura-Ki
  3. hot diggity
  4. Waydah
  5. RouteClearance
  6. Brokor
    Uploaded by: Brokor, Dec 26, 2017, 0 comments, in album: Law
  7. Bishop
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7