Just wondering about less than lethal carry

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dunerunner, Dec 7, 2021.

1. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Does anyone have any knowledge of less than lethal self-defense items that are effective and capable of being carried concealed. I have little desire to sit out a court date because I had to use deadly force against an attacker, unless they invade my home and threaten my life. I'm talking about OC spray that I can use out on the street or some other type of non-lethal defensive device other than a stun gun.

2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Good OC spray is always a good option, especially given todays attitudes toward self defense. Knives and other "Tools" might not fly, given the hate toward victims not laying down and "Taking a beating" like they should, though the right knife(s) will make a serious difference. I carry a serious Philippine made ( where this type originates from) Karambit and know how to properly use it, It's nearly impossible to defend against, and absolutely lethal if I wish, or I can mess you up serious and take you out of the fight, which is the whole point!

For the OC, I use Kimber's double shot, easy to carry and deploy, and will put the most intense tango on the ground in a heart beat, cant do better then that!
    [​IMG]
    IMG_20200905_191206.

3. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

A walking cane

4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

The old 2 to 4 cell Mag-Lites are still quite handy! 3D printed plastic "Brass Knuckles" would also be nifty! Another really good tool is a nice heavy leather belt! The trick is to wear two belts, your gun belt which is not attached to your pants, and your pants belt that you use as a weapon, that way your not risking your gun or other tools!

5. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

[​IMG]
    I have no financial interest in the company. Gene lives near enough that I can hear him shooting on his back yard range. He started working leather at the range years ago. He moved on to nylon, founded High Speed Gear, sold it and came back to leather. I've had a black Hot Tamale "coin purse" filled with $25 in gold dollar coins on my belt for many years now. It rides comfortably behind my holster, and is quite concealable. It's innocent looking enough that concealment probably isn't necessary and it hasn't ever caused anyone to be alarmed. Never had to thump anybody with it, but it's accessible, quick to deploy and from behind the hip, looks like you're giving up your wallet. It's comforting to have a little reach advantage or to be able to pay for dinner or gas if I forget my wallet.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
  6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

This ^^^ plus on the wet coast one can carry an umbrella. Yes there are tactical umbrellas. I carry “sturdy” pens in my coat pockets, you can get them off of Amazon.

Gator 45/70, Dunerunner and Ura-Ki like this.
  7. hot diggity

Concealability will vary by person. I know a gentleman that front pocket carries a Glock 21.

Carry in plain sight, like the cane or umbrella works too. How about a steel measuring tape? Or a Food Lion bag with a can of beer in it?

8. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Apparently, there are some non-lethal, gas firearms out now also. I saw my first one years ago overseas in a country where you weren't allowed to carry weapons. It shoots a gas pellet at very high speed. I think Sean Hannity is even advertising them now.

9. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

Seems no matter how you protect yourself if the perp is injured some sleaze bag lawyer will represent the SOB and sue you for damages and tie you up in court and lawyer fees ----may be better to kill them outright. What a country we now live in.

STANGF150, Dark Wolf and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

My cane is a stout Irish Black Thorn. Should be very effective. Can also become lethal if necessary.

Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  11. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Oh! And, batons are excellent non-lethal carries! I use to carry one everywhere overseas, that and steel-toe boots can save your a$$. I used the type that simply flicked out as didn't trust the spring-loaded ones but I am the paranoid type.

12. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Bought one of these after having back surgery. Probably not legal in most states, not even sure about OR, but don't care.

Sword Cane.

13. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I have been practicing with my 4.5’ Walking Stick… The thing that gives me the advantage, is to strike First, Hard, and often, till the threat is down, and moaning, loudly… Who they going to believe, the 72 year old with just three toes, or the Punk, out for some fun???

Dunerunner, Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  14. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I suspect a good nose thumping on a curious bear or moose will take place first in your neighborhood?

Dunerunner likes this.
  15. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Yup, It would if I still lived at our place, in Alaska... As it is NOW, living in a Home for Elderly Folks, it isn't my Neighbors that worry me, it is the Young Pumps that hang out at the Target Store, and the by the ATMs, that give me the "willies"....

Ura-Ki, Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  16. hot diggity

The good thing about being older and a stranger in town is that you're an unknown. Your delivery has to be convincing If you growl a line like "I killed a man with a telephone in 1990, this will be easier" (Punctuate that with a THUMP from your walking sitck on the deck.) Or my favorite "I'm not going back to prison over some little fight with you."

17. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I believe that for me it is best to have a cane that is completely expendable, that way if you lose it or break it, it's not a big loss.
    Ideally, if you learn to actually use it, the people observing your self-defense believe you, but if you have no actual use except for confrontation, it's hard to defend carrying it.
    I have several around the house dad made for himself, and when I have had an injury, I used them as necessary.
    I don't live in an area one needs to carry self-defense much.

Dunerunner, Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  18. hot diggity

I've been working on stretching and strengthening for months and still haven't made my cane entirely expendible. The weather isn't helping. I could limp away from a fight if I broke my cane, but I wouldn't be going at a brisk pace.

Dunerunner, Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  19. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I like these 2 cane's, One has a sharp pointy thingy on it ?

cane.

deer cane.

Dunerunner and arleigh like this.
  20. hot diggity

When I spent a lot of time in airports I got very good at hanging my cane on my arm so my hands were free. This is deceptive, since you can regain control of the cane in an instant, and bring it into action. Since I can't run away and will have to stand and fight I need all the distraction I can manage. This one gets them in close. ;)

NoMas.

If confronted by a group, a rehearsed line like "I'm not looking for trouble, why don't you fellas go have a beer on me." Tossing a $20 bill wrapped around a match book with a rubber band toward the leader, and making him look down at it, or move to recover it gives you time to flee, or gain distance to draw something maybe more lethal.

First wife worked as a night store manager and had to leave work every night with a bag of money. The only time she got held up the thugs ran off with a half eaten bag of chicken. For years after that she carried the money in a greasy paper bag but never got hit again. She could knock a fly off a leaf with her pepper spray at 10'.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
    Dunerunner and Gator 45/70 like this.
  1. AD1
  2. Grandpa Patch
  3. GrayGhost
  4. OldDude49
  5. Yard Dart
  6. Airtime
  7. Yard Dart
  8. OldDude49
  9. oldman11
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary