Justice Scalia Found Dead of Natural Causes

Discussion in 'Politics' started by 3M-TA3, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

DL, Who is disbarred? Obama?!!??!?!? You're not serious are you?

2. William Warren

William Warren Monkey+++

Only the Senate votes on SCOTUS nominees.

Wild Trapper, Bandit99 and Yard Dart like this.
  3. Bandit99

Yes, you're right........ Rick

4. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

"No....I doubt I'd pass the "of good character" test..."

Who is grading the test?:)

chelloveck likes this.
  5. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

William Henry Taft served as Chief Justice after being President in the early 20th century.

Bandit99 likes this.
  6. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

7. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Both he and Michelle have been disbarred in the state of Illinois is my understanding. I believe Hillary has been too if I'm not mistaken.

8. Yard Dart

The Obamas have not according to the link I posted above... they just retired their license so they did not have to pay dues or due continuing education. I believe that Hillary is officially disbarred.

9. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

10. Bandit99

Learn something new here every time I log on. I, of course, heard the Justice Taft and of President Taft but did not know they were one and the same...

@Yard Dart Ah! So, basically they are not barred but more or less deactivated sort of like some medical fields and technical fields have to continually take courses to stay active. Teachers too! But, since they are inactive they can't receive an appointment to SC...at least I would assume that is the case.

kellory and Motomom34 like this.
  11. Yard Dart

I have a de-activated electrical license. All I have to do it go down and pay my dues and have it re-activted..... I assume that would be the same case for them as well.

12. William Warren

William Warren Monkey+++

Justice Scalia's passing will set in motion the highest, most risky tightwire act in U.S. Senate history. It's going to be a combination of a bare-knuckle fight, carnival pitch, and criminal influence peddling.

Here are the possibilities as I see them:

1. The President could nominate a highly-respected centrist with impeccable credentials. If the Republicans oppose a well-qualified nominee, they're setting themselves up for a backlash which will convince voters that they are really trying to bring down the government, and might wind up as the minority party again.
    2. President Obama could nominate a left-leaning, female, minority jurist who is nonetheless well-qualified. No matter if the Republicans oppose her on ideological grounds, the Democrats still get to paint them as sexist, racist toadies who were bought and paid for, and the G.O.P. still risks winding up the loser during the election.
    3. The Republican leadership could play a waiting game, endlessly repeating the mantra of "the new President should make the choice", and hope that it doesn't hurt them so much that they lose the majority. However, and they know this, they are risking everything on an assumption that the Presidential election goes to their party: they might (and I think they will) do a lot of horse-trading and try to get President Obama to nominate someone whom they can live with.
    This is going to be a perfect example of how things really work in Washington, with G.O.P. strategists desperately seeking a liberal to suggest to the President - someone with a very smelly skeleton in his/her closet that can be used to disqualify him/her after lengthly debate and posturing and finger-pointing. Democrats are going to be turning over rocks, hoping to find Pollyanna's grandchild, who has a very, very well hidden liberal streak that will squeak past a panicked Republican leadership if or when the waiting game backfires.

Hang on to your hats: the elephants are about to stampede toward a herd of braying donkeys. When the dust settles, we will, at last, have had a chance to have seen them all as they really are.

William Warren

13. William Warren

William Warren Monkey+++

There's no requirement that nominees be practicing attorneys.

William Warren

Wild Trapper and 3cyl like this.
  14. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

You Don’t Need No Stinkin’ Law Degree to be on the Supreme Court

"The Constitution does not specify any particular professional or educational requirements for serving as a justice of the high court. In fact, unlike presidents or members of Congress, Supreme Court justices do not even need to be over a certain age. In 1811, the brilliant Joseph Story was appointed to the court at the tender age of 32 — a veritable legal Doogie Howser."

15. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

My thought exactly. This is so odd because I read a speculation last week that Obama was going to be appointed to the SC. I know it sounds far fetched but just odd that Scalia died. It amazes me that Ginsberg is still alive, she looks so frail.

3M-TA3 likes this.
  16. Bandit99

@Yard Dart ...Sure! I have certificate that I have to retest to keep them activ
    WW, Excellent post. You're right...this is bad. - Rick

17. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

A Rock Chopper is Australian slang dating back to my childhood. It means a Roman Catholic. Back in the days when Rock Choppers and Proddys had at it with each other with silly taunts and invective....now the Rock Choppers and Proddys have become allies against the Muslims. A case of my enemy's enemy is now a somewhat firm friend.....(provided that one doesn't raise the issue of transubstantiation) ;)

Nope....am not of Russian heritage....I took the name from Anthony Burgess's novel "A Clockwork Orange" The argot used by the characters in that book draw mainly (but not exclusively) from Russian linguistic references.

Anthony Burgess' "A Clockwork Orange" Nadsat Dictionary

Bandit99 likes this.
  18. Bandit99

Ah! Interesting. Rock Chopper... I would never have guess.
    But, I would say it's not only the "Rock Choppers and Proddys" but most of Christianity that is given Islam the hard look and a lot of atheists too. It's a shame really...

Rick

chelloveck likes this.
  19. marlas1too

marlas1too Monkey+++

if ozero puts a new justice in the supreme court the we can all kiss our rights goodbye cause that person will surly be on the side of the democraps

3M-TA3 and Motomom34 like this.
  20. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Anything I say here would, could and very well should be seen as fear mongering. I redact my previous comment about the lay licenses.

1. Cruisin Sloth
  2. DKR
  3. Motomom34
  4. T. Riley
  5. Motomom34
  6. Motomom34
  7. HK_User
  8. Gator 45/70
  9. DKR
  10. Tevin
  11. HK_User
  12. DarkLight