K.ill-A-Bear Knife

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Grandpa Patch, Nov 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Grandpa Patch

Grandpa Patch Monkey+

For those who know this, here is the link in case you've lost it and for those who didn't know, a little bit of history of the Ka-Bar Knife used by the US Marine Corps.

Kill-a-Bear with a Ka-Bar Knife?

STANGF150, Mountainman and Dunerunner like this.
  2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Cool info. Thanks

Grandpa Patch and Dunerunner like this.
  3. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Changed the title...

Thanks for posting this link. Interesting history of the KaBar. I bought my son one before his deployment to Iraq. He snapped the blade trying to pry a piece of Com gear out of a rack while their location was under fire.

Gator 45/70 and Grandpa Patch like this.
  4. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I have a KaBar, but for decades I have used a 5" blade "Commando Tanto" that has the stacked leather handles ans stainless blade. It has been used to chisel open a couple Russian steel spam cans of ammo, with no damage, still clean and sharp. I wouldn't try that with my KaBar.

Dunerunner and Grandpa Patch like this.
  5. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I have 2 Ka-bar of my dad's collection.
    the third I believe is an English dagger. .
    Have a few bayonets as well .
    DSCN4173.JPG DSCN4177.JPG

6. Grandpa Patch

Grandpa Patch Monkey+

Nice little collection of some old knives and bayonets! (y)

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Keep a few around myself.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

I have about 3 that I use for various things. One I use in the garden. Have had knife sellers try to pass off $25-50 knives as Ka-bars just b/c they have "USMC" stamped on the blade. Every time I turn it over & fail to see "Olean, NY" on it and tell them its just a cheap knockoff.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

As a military fighting knife ,particularly the function of the spine teeth getting through aluminum air frames has it's merits .
    I might even recommend that knife for S&R over the side vehicle access possibly . Some practice is essential .
    In the case of rescues I can see having a knife capable of being a serious pry bar and enduring the rigors of tearing through steel.
    If your not prone to do these rescues nor prone to loan your knife to those whom will , then having lesser knife is practical.

Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
  10. JLRhiner

JLRhiner Stranger in the Modern World

Just so you know, The 2 "bowie style" knives are not the "KaBar" knives (USN MK2) that the article is talking about. They are both US Air Force Jet Pilot survival knives, and appear to be early ones at that. The pommel should have the dates of manufacture stamped on them. Great little knives.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    Grandpa Patch likes this.
  11. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

When I get home I'll take a look .

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7