Kckndrgn's Primal Journal

Discussion in 'Survival of the Fittest' started by kckndrgn, Feb 3, 2014.

1. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Well, I might as well post here, maybe this will help keep me on track!

Starting off with the basics.
    Weight: 248
    Height: 6'
    Age 40

Background, I have always had a "belly" even in HS. I think I've tried every diet under the sun and workout routine but could never loose any weight. I have been diagnosed with "fatty liver disease", so in a nut shell, it's HARD for me to loose any weight.

My cholesterol and triglycerides have always been off the chart high (highest triglycerides level was over 600). Last year I got a book called "The Metabolism Miracle", I followed the diet laid out in there pretty close and actually lost about 5lbs over 12 weeks. That was the most weight i had ever lost.

The MM diet had 6wks (I think it was 6 anyway) of no more than 5 carbs every 5 hours, this was the "cleansing" part, the next 6 wks allowed more carbs but from a limited source.

The "diet" worked, but i need the lifestyle change. Last year I was on my own and had to watch the wife and kids eat bread, pasta, and pizza. Not this time, I have the wife on board and with her on board, the kids will follow, to a point.

My goal is to lose 20lbs to begin with and try to lose a total of 40lbs

One of the first things I have done to accomplish this kicking the Diet Coke habit. Last week was rough, but it's been 9 days since the last coke.

Now to control my eating. I eat when not hungry due to stress and boredom. I'm hoping that I can keep myself busy with little things so that I wont eat out of boredom.

Wish me luck!

kellory, STANGF150, Yard Dart and 2 others like this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Best o luck with it, kd.

3. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Welcome aboard the Primal train. Be sure to tape your measurement so on the days the weight stalls you can see the size dropping, I forgot to when I started.

4. cdnboy66

cdnboy66 Monkey++

kicking the diet coke habit is a great start!! way to go!!
    Best of Luck with this.
    I should probably be on the bandwagon too...maybe soon.

Yard Dart and Quigley_Sharps like this.
  5. kckndrgn

Well, typical breakfast for me
    3 egg omelet with sausage, cheese and salsa
    and 10oz cup of coffee.

Lunch will be turkey legs and salad.

Dinner, don't know yet.

cdnboy66, why wait? Start now! :)

Quigley_Sharps likes this.
  6. kckndrgn

Well, what a terrible week for me. Turns out i have a severe sensitivity to anything almond (almonds, almond flour, etc.).

I haven't weighed myself this week, may not, as I try to get my stomach back in to regularity. May have to start some probiotics to see if that will help.

7. Quigley_Sharps

Mine was a little weird at first and it seems like the probiotics helped it even out. Not sure if it will help you or not, cant hurt that's for sure. Good luck!

8. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

As a suggestion, I'd stay away from almond flours and the like. If we're thinking primal, 2 cups of almond flour is something like 400+ almonds and is way too high a concentration to eat. We want to ingest foods as they would have been found by hunting and gathering, not by farming.

I've watched 40-50 people go through this with varying results. The ones who have succeeded have eaten whole foods a lot like they'd be found by Grok. The ones who've failed seemed to concentrate on trying to replace all of their normal foods with things that are technically 'primal approved': Primal pizza, Primal pancakes, Primal bread, etc. I know this makes it harder for those just starting out (or back) but it's just been my observation. Find new ways and new foods to eat instead of trying to replace your old ones.

My weekend breakfast doesn't try to replace the spot on my plate that was formerly taken up by potatoes with something 'better' like sweet potatoes. I just fill 1/2 my plate with eggs and the other 1/2 with bacon :)

my 2 almonds

Quigley_Sharps and Yard Dart like this.
  9. Quigley_Sharps

Bacon and eggs for this guy each morning. Except fasting day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

10. kckndrgn

@melbo - yes, i've had a paradigm shift here in the last week or so. I thought long and hard and said, "Would Grok have this available?"
    I typically have eggs and meat (bacon, sausage, ham, steak, etc.) but lately i've been wanting something else. I do change up how the eggs are done (scrambled, omelette, fried (in bacon grease).

But my biggest downfall, is just eating when I don't need to eat. It's dinner time, i'm not hungry but I will eat with the family. I'm bored, need a snack, i'm stressed need a snack.

This last week, when i've been "bored" and wanting a snack I go clean a room in the house. Figure by the end of the week we'll have a spotless house LOL.

11. melbo

Snacking is a tough habit to break. We used to need it to keep the stream of sugar fuel high.

I hardly ever snack anymore although u did make some stove top popcorn last weekend: organic kernels, cooked in coco oil and drenched in Kerrygold grass fed butter and salt.

Yeah, corns a grain but it isn't wheat and it's not as high carb as others. For me, it's still well within 80/20 but I'm not in weight loss mode anymore.

12. kckndrgn

Funny, everytime I eat an apple, about 30 min later, I'm hungry. I'm talking stomach growling hungry. Never have figured out why either.

13. melbo

Maybe you should eat 3 apples then. [violin]

14. kckndrgn

Down 4lbs in 2 weeks.
    I think my biggest killer is that I just eat too much. The last week I've been forcing myself to have smaller portions, and waiting before going for seconds. This may mean that in a few hours I'm hungry again, if so I just have a paleo snack (home made jerky, apple, etc.) or just drink a glass of water.

15. kckndrgn

243.4 (down 1 lb in a week).
    My biggest change is really drinking water, lots of water. 120oz+ a day. That has made the biggest change that I can tell.

My lunches have been 6oz of chicken breast and yogurt, with a follow-up yogurt about 2.5 hrs later
    breakfast this week has been 3 egg omlette w/ sausage, yellow/orange pepper (sweet pepper) and cheese
    Dinner has been chef salads as we are using up some lettuce and veggies before they go bad.

On the plus side, hopefully I'll be reducing my grocery bill soon. lettuces, leafy greens and herbs will be grown on one of these:
    Tower Garden.
    I work for the company that makes them, so I get a nice discount.

16. kckndrgn

Forgot to add 2 important things.
    I'm starting to "workout" meaning just getting off my lazy 455 and moving around, with the occasional sprints.

And prolly the biggest, my wife is now fully on board with me. She read Tara's story in the 21 day book, and immediately said - "That's me!" We had a pretty good heart to heart about many things going on in our lives right now. It will be MUCH easier for me to have her by my side completely.

Quigley_Sharps, kellory and Yard Dart like this.
  17. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Be very careful with that. You do NOT want to dilute your electrolytes and throw your body chemistry out of balance.

18. kckndrgn

I am not drinking the water in one shot, or over a short period. but rather 24oz every 2 hours or so throughout the work day then another glass or 2 of water with dinner.

About the only time I've known people to have issue with drinking too much water is when they consume too much too fast.

From WebMD (which basically mirrors what my Dr., who supports my Primal diet, recommends)

19. kckndrgn

Well, been doing pretty good. With the wife on board with the diet it's been a blessing. She helps me not cheat and I help her, we both talk about how we feel on the lifestyle and we are trying to find ways to have the kids with us as well.
    I will say she went through carb withdrawals, not something I went through. Some of the foods we've eaten:

Breakfast: omelet
    lunch: left over egg drop soup
    dinner: collard greens w/ bacon

All last week I had salads for lunches with sides varying from grilled chicken, plain greek yogurt and nuts.

Snaking is still my biggest enemy, especially when not hungry, but board or stressed. I've been trying to swap a snack with a glass of water, and it's helping.

BTPost and Quigley_Sharps like this.
  20. kckndrgn

Started working out, incorporating the primal fitness plan into my daily life. Going to be a minor change to some habits, but hoping it will help boost the weight loss.

Weight: 242.0

Breakfast yesterday: 3 fried eggs and bacon
    Lunch yesterday: left over egg drop soup and celery sticks
    Snack: pear
    Dinner: collard greens with ham/bacon
    after dinner snack: raw pumpkin seeds and almonds

Still having "cravings" for "something" to eat. It's not that I'm hungry, but just a feeling I need to eat. So instead I've been drinking a glass of water when I have the cravings.

I'm also reducing my portion size slightly, no "seconds" right after finishing a plate, but waiting 10-15 min to see if I'm really still hungry or just satisfying my need to be eating something.

Quigley_Sharps and Yard Dart like this.
  1. Ganado
  2. 3M-TA3
  3. GrayGhost
  4. hot diggity
  5. kckndrgn
  6. Minuteman
  7. ditch witch
  8. DarkLight
  9. Sapper John
  10. Yard Dart
  11. RightHand