Kckndrgn's Primal Journal

Discussion in 'Survival of the Fittest' started by kckndrgn, Feb 3, 2014.

1. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Weight:240.2 (knew my belt felt looser :) )

I have had more energy the last few days, and I've noticed when I get home from work I don't want to sit on the couch and "veg out". Instead I'm full of energy and have to find things to do. This has a 2 part effect. 1, I'm not sitting still, I'm constantly moving. Walking around the house putting things away, picking up, playing with the kids, etc. 2, I'm not sitting down, getting bored and stuffing food in my mouth.

I've also noticed I'm eating less lately.
    Breakfast: 2 fried eggs & bacon
    Lunch: left over egg drop soup w/ added chicken meat
    Snack: pear
    Dinner: chicken wings w/ spinach & kale
    I also had about 4oz of plane greek yogurt about 30 min before bed.

Quigley_Sharps likes this.
  2. kckndrgn

Weight: 238.8

Energy is still up, feeling better and even handled a boatload of stress yesterday (work issues, wife was rear ended on her way to work, no injuries just scratched up the bumper good)

Breakfast: 2eggs & bacon
    Lunch: Celery and plan whole milk yogurt
    Snack: banana
    Dinner: grilled pork chops and green beans (can't wait until the garden is producing)

Quigley_Sharps likes this.
  3. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

kckndrgn: You're on track for some great benefits and they are already starting to show. You and your wife can do this and your entire family is gonna benefit. I have suffered from many of the crutches that you describe including that nagging urge to chew/eat something. I've been on the PB since January 3rd and this morning I stepped onto the scale to see the "teens" for the first time in over two years. I'm at 219.4 from 234. This is solid evidence that the PB works and it will work for you. I was forced to go back to Mark's book to re-read a few different chapters including his observation that you will loose 1-2 pounds per week with discipline to adhere to the foods of the Primal menu. It's working great for me and I've only exercise once a week at this point. (It is clear to me that I need to get off my ass and move more too, but I've just been lazy and using every excuse that I can find to lay out and take it easy.) My energy has done exactly what you are experiencing. I have noticed that I still suffer from some afternoon attacks of sleepiness when I let my diet suffer from not getting enough of the "good" fats, so I've learned that you really have to listen to your body and what your body is trying to communicate to you. I too have been fooled by my head telling me that my body is hungry when, in fact, my stomach is fine and points out that my head is lying to trick me into eating something. I was and still am a HUGE fan of anything crunchy and I miss a lot of that crunchy stuff like the snacks that filled that desire. I've found that I can add shredded carrots and brocolli slaw (shredded brocolli) to my salads and it really adds some heaft to my salads. I use cottage cheese as a dressing on my salads with a few drops of hot sauce.

Have you tried any coconut oil yet? I've found it is pretty good for many menu items that require cooking and frying. I've even melted it and added it to my salad as part of my dressing.

I think that it's fantastic that you and your wife are partners in this lifestyle change because it'll make it easier for you both and leading your children by example will impart the dietary guidance to them gently demonstrating to them the lifestyle that is best.

I will say that I've stuggled more with learning to listen to my body than almost any other part of this change of lifestyle. I've learned to "look" inward when I feel those cravings to find out if they are real or just another imagined desire from bad habits. Of course, we still suffer from that same ol' question of "what's for dinner?" But that'll never change. Good luck with your lifestyle change. You're gonna love the new "You!"

4. kckndrgn

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Yes, listening to your body has been one of my struggles. Am i really hungry or just bored and needing something to do.
    As far as crunchy goes, fry up some bacon, cook it a little longer and it will be crunchy. Don't forget about pork rinds. I never thought I would like them but for an occasional snack, is satisfies those "crunchy" needs.

Yes, i have used coconut oil, not that often tho, I usually have plenty of bacon grease around :)

ditch witch and Quigley_Sharps like this.
  5. kckndrgn

Weight:238.2

Well, I was hoping that by getting out and moving move and incorporating some workouts (the 4 core primal workout, along with brisk walks) would help shed the weight. I guess slow and steady wins the race :)
    Yesterday I was not hungry for breakfast, so I did not eat. In fact, I was not hungry until about 11am, when I ate lunch.

Monday:
    Breakfast:2 egg omelet with spaghetti squash, sausage and fresh sweet peppers
    Lunch:left over hamburger patties, plain greek yogurt and grapes
    Dinner: "unstuffed" cabbage
    snack 1/4 serving of 70% dark chocolate
    Workout: Walked 1.5 mi

Tuesday:
    Breakfast: none
    Lunch left over hamburger patties, plain greek yogurt, grapes
    Dinner: left over "unstuffed" cabbage
    Snack: 1/2 serving of 70% dark chocolate
    workout: walked 1.75 mi

One of the things I've noticed is occasionally I will "over eat", meaning I keep eating when I know I'm full. It's hard to reprogram my mind/stomach. I've also noticed when I eat slower, I eat less, much less. Time to slow down when eating.

ditch witch and Quigley_Sharps like this.
  6. kckndrgn

Been a while since I've posted.
    Quick recap, had a VERY stressful couple of weeks at work, as a result my habit of eating returned. While I didn't eat "bad" things (refined foods, sugary snacks, pasta/bread, etc.) I did over eat, way over. As a result I bumped back up to 240+ :(

Got the stress under control, and I've gotten back to drinking the water. I've also been finding hidden sugars (like there's sugar in my favorite sausage, why?). I stopped working out while under stress, so I've started that back up.

Weighed myself this morning (after intentionally not weighing myself in over a week) and found I was back down to 239.2. So, I hope I'm back on track.

My wife has been noticing the benefits of the diet (lifestyle really). Clothes are fitting better and she's not cold all the time. Used to be, no matter the temp in the house or outside, she was cold. Not anymore.

Minuteman, Yard Dart, Tracy and 2 others like this.
  7. kckndrgn

Had my checkup with the thyroid dr today. Down 6 lbs from my last checkup (6 months ago). My A1C is also down, along with my BP. I'll know more about my blood work results in a week.

8. kckndrgn

Well, I'm hitting the reset button. Too many sweets stolen, er sampled, from the kids easter candy and boy do I ever feel the effects.

I think I need to go back to the diet of the metabolism miracle book, basically the same thing as paleo/primal but the 1st 8 weeks has a major restriction on carbs, all carbs, to 5g in 5 hours. I know that when I was on this diet/lifestyle it was the only time I ever lost weight, and it was due to mainly eliminating the refined crap.

9. kckndrgn

Still going strong. Weighed my self over the weekend was at 236. While the weight is not falling off, it's coming off. My wife said last night she noticed my belly wasn't hanging out so far and I need to add another hole to my belt (it ain't doing much right now, LOL). I've also noticed my pants are a bit more baggy, I'm sleeping better (at least when my sinus are giving me fits). I now look at sweets at the grocery store and have no desire to grab one, I'd rather have an apple, pear or banana.

10. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

kckndrgn, I had to eliminate the high sugar fruits to really see the weight come off. I know it's a base sugar and will be metabolized correctly, but it's still a high calorie item so I eliminated it completely. That leaves me with meat and vegetables. I have included beans in my chili and a few cheats like chinese noodles in my stir fry, but very rarely. I have been able to watch the weight come off very slowly just like Mark Sission predicted at 1.5-2.0#s per week. The thing that I really like, with weight loss at that slow pace, is that there has not been any extra flaps of skin left behind. I figure once I've completely lost my spare tire, I'll add the fruits back into the program to enable me to level off where my body wants to be. I already fit into pants that I wore when I was a senior in high school and that's great progress to me. I have gone from a spare tire for a mack truck to a spare tire for a Smart Car and have a little more to go where I will not be embarassed to be seen on the beach. You're doing great!

11. kckndrgn

Resurrecting my old thread, as I'm doing a renewed push on my diet, rather lifestyle, change.

Weighed myself yesterday, i was still below 240, at 239.6. So It's not all bad. And while I have not been totally off paleo, I've had quite a few "cheats".
    I'm still dealing with a demon though, I just eat too damn much. bored, stressed, tired, anxious, etc. I want to eat. No, it's not a want, my body feels it HAS to eat.
    I know this is really in my mind, brought on from years of "boredom eating". I've tried substituting drinking water for eating, but that doesn't usually satisfy me.

Yesterday:
    Breakfast: none
    Lunch: Salad w/ 6oz chicken breast. Olive Oil & Vinegar dressing & Feta cheese along with too many nuts as a side and a banana
    Dinner: Some "hamburger" dish my wife made up. It was a casserole dish that tasted like a cheeseburger, but without the bun. Really good!

Workout: 20min treadmill. Pullups, pushups, squats and planks.

12. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

kckndrgn: I struggle with the same demon because I still fight with my inner self daily to control my cravings. That mind job about over eating is crazy and I agree that drinking water will not work. I found coconut oil in my coffee helps in the morning but that late night monster is a tough SOB to hold off. I found that I had to completely cut the fruit to achieve regular results. Too much sugar in an apple, orange, or banana for me to see weekly results. I also used nuts, avocados, and dark chocolate to find some measure of relief. I still haven't managed any real level of exercise but found that if I was too tight with the healthy fat choices, I felt much more tempted and loosing the battle with my demon. Grok on!

Motomom34 likes this.
  13. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I would like to know what Primal people drink. Any healthy eating speaks of food but what of beverage? I drink a liter of water everyday prior to noon. I am so sick of water. Soda is bad, juice is bad, alcohol is not allowed to be consumed especially during work, so what do people drink?

14. kckndrgn

Thanks @Elessar, nice to hear someone else it battling this. I was having a spoon full of coconut oil with my breakfast, may have to start doing that again. Tried it in my coffee, just didn't care for the oil slick on the top.

Water usually. Just plain water. But occasionally I'll use some MIO type enhancer to add some flavor to it. It's not the best thing, but it is a change. I've also squeezed fresh lemons in the water, not to make lemonade but to add some flavor. Black tea, both hot and cold. It's taken some getting used to not having it "sweet", especially in the south where it's not uncommon to use 2 cups of sugar for 1 gallon of tea.
    And I do have a Bud Light occasionally, along with some pale ale (Ghost River brand, made locally so I have no problem supporting them :) )

Tuesday:
    Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs* and 4 pieces of bacon. 20oz or so of Coffee.
    Lunch: Small salad with left over hamburger dish
    Dinner: Ham and cheese wraps (mozzarella cheese sticks wrapped with 2 or 3 slices of smoked ham)
    Workout: 20 min treadmill at various speeds followed by arm and ab exercises

Yesterday:
    Breakfast: Same as yesterday
    Lunch: Salad with 6 oz of chicken, Feta cheese and dressing
    Dinner:Tuna salad wrapped with Lettuce, sliced tomatoes with brie, and a summer salad (cucumber & tomates diced, mixed with mayo and a dash of salt)
    Snack: cheese sticks and some "terra chips" (forget what they are called, but it's some veggies made in to "chips") and a handful of black cherries.
    Workout: 20 min treadmill, Pullups, pushups, planks and squats. Also went for a walk with the family, 1.5mi or so.

15. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

I drink ice tea by the gallon every day. Mint, chamomile, regular ole Lipton, chai.

Motomom34 likes this.
  16. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

I drink water and my treat is can of 100% coconut water.

Motomom34 likes this.
  17. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Thanks for the replies. I guess I should make some flavored sun tea. I just need a variation from water.

1. Ganado
  2. 3M-TA3
  3. GrayGhost
  4. hot diggity
  5. kckndrgn
  6. Minuteman
  7. ditch witch
  8. DarkLight
  9. Sapper John
  10. Yard Dart
  11. RightHand
  12. Elessar