"Kelly Kettle"

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by GrandpaDave, Oct 20, 2011.

1. GrandpaDave

GrandpaDave Monkey++

Last month I did a write up on the "Kelly Kettle"....Sometimes called a ...Storm Kettle...or...Ghillie Kettle

https://sites.google.com/site/grandpassurvivalshack/-kelly-kettle

the really handy thing about a Kelly kettle is not only can you boil water in one... you can cook on top and since the fire is sheltered in the kettles body it can storm all around you as much as it likes and this little kettle will just keep brewing away... and since you dont need a camp fire... it's perfect for low/no impact camping...

Go check it out... I bet you'll want one once you see what it is...[stirpot]

Brokor, weegrannymush and goinpostal like this.
  2. goinpostal

goinpostal Monkey+++

Pretty cool!
    Thanks for posting this!It's one I had not heard of.
    This crap boost phone doesnt like the site,or Youtube,so I'll ask.
    Does it boil liquids,or just heat them?
    What kind of heat does it put out the top,and how long is the burn time?
    Will one work with other combustables?Triox?Charcoal briquet?
    Are there different sizes?
    Have you tried one?
    Matt

3. GrandpaDave

GrandpaDave Monkey++

I have two of them... been using them for years... Normally I just stuff the bottom with twigs... dryer lint makes the best firestarter BTW... My big model holds almost a gallon and a half... the smaller one just over two cups... it will boils in 3 to five minutes... I never tried it with other fuels other than what I fiend in the field... if you buy the kit it come with a small fry pan... just big enough for a couple of eggs and bacon... if your only feeding one or two it's just the right size... of course if your feeding a crew you'll need more than one....

the only other advice I can offer is more than one company make these... dont buy the ones that are pressed then spot welded... I had one start to leak the first use... the ones made as a cast or molded into shape (One peace body) are the ones you want and will give years of service....

Sorry about the site not working on your phone... I did code it with HTML 5 tags and CSS to re-size for smart phone use... but I'm still learning how to do that part of coding so thanks for the heads up... I('ll go review my code and see if I can figure out where I screwed up

4. goinpostal

goinpostal Monkey+++

Your coding is probably fine.This $59 POJ Boost phone sucks.It looks like it would be a smart phone,but smart it aint.It's not even as good as my old Sanyo SCP-8400 flip phone I was using 8yrs ago.
    Matt

5. weegrannymush

weegrannymush Monkey+

I checked this site out when you posted it recently and I was impressed with what they said about the Kelly Kettle. I had been wondering if dryer lint would be a good thing to use in it....we have been having quite a few power outages here recently, each lasting a couple of hours or longer and I am looking for something to use indoors, just for boiling up water for tea or warming up soup, stuff like that but everything I see seems to be for the outdoors. I dont want to have to be building a big fire in my woodstove just to heat up water or soup during a power cut. I also dont want to have to store kerosene or gas cylinders etc. Has anybody any ideas as to an indoor heater that might work? I tried to make one out of a #10 can and some candles but it didn't get enough oxygen and the candles go out every time. Can't find much up here in Canada so will probably have to find something in the U.S. Anybody got any ideas?

6. GrandpaDave

GrandpaDave Monkey++

In doors is a bit different... I do use Coleman camp stoves from when the power goes out... get the duel fuel ones the run off both gasoline and campstove fuel...

for heat in an emergency I use what's called a "Tank Top" propane heater...
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mr.-Heater-MH12T-Tank-Top-Heater/13176810
    I used the same tank from my BBQ grill just screw on the heater and let it go....
    the nice thing about these tank top heaters is you can flip them to use as I cook top too...

of course if you want to go very low tech... you can always make yourself a Hobo stove... proble is nowadays it's hard to find a no# 10 can

7. beast

beast backwoodsman

you need airvents in the bottom sides of the can granny
    and use those tuna can, wax/sawdust candles

8. weegrannymush

weegrannymush Monkey+

Well, I have the instructions in my Handbook but they seem too good to be true...too simple to work, if you know what I mean! But I think I must try it, just for fun if nothing else. My Scots blood does like the idea of something that costs practically nil! I have one precious #10 can which I have been keeping in case something special comes up and I would hate to have wrecked it if the "stove" doesn't work as well as everyone says it will! I am not very confident about my ability to do this stuff, you will all have figured this out by now, I am sure! I think I am going to give it a shot though. I have decided, also, that I am going to get a Kelly Kettle to use outside, it does seem like a very useful item.

I think I am out of my depth on this website - you are all so highly trained and survival oriented and equipped for anything and everything and I am just a bumbler. It's days like this when I wish I had been born a man! Or at least, a tomboy! Now if survival could be achieved by knitting and crocheting skills, I would be an ace and would leave you all behind. However............! Thanks for being patient with me, folks!

9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Weegranny, All skillsets are valuable, in a survival senerio, including yours. Many folks would love to have a warm sweater or cap, knitted on a tight weave, when the weather gets cold. Don't sell your skillsets short. I bet you cook, well too... Another quality skillset... Comments from another Scot.... on both sides of the family... Erskines, and Gordons..... Named after Robert the Bruce.....

weegrannymush likes this.
  10. easy_rider75

easy_rider75 Monkey+

Always thought it was a neat piece of kit to have only downside for me right now is the price on my list of toys though

11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Horsefeathers, granny. We might be ahead of you, but that means nothing. We live to teach what we have learned, the more of us around to survive, the better to spread the burdens of the work involved. Your knitted shawls might get you a couple pounds of jerky, if you get the idea (and I bet you do.) You wanna know, you gotta ask, and you WILL get an answer. (y)

Brokor, ColtCarbine and weegrannymush like this.
  12. weegrannymush

weegrannymush Monkey+

Well, Bruce, Gordon is one of my family names for the last 300 years (that's as far as I have been able to go in my Ancestry searches). So who knows, we might be related...stranger things have happened. I have found folks from all over the place, who turned out to be my many-times-removed cousins! Fascinating stuff, but not of any use to preppers, lol. Thanks for the encouragement, I appreciate it! Just lost my daughter three months ago, to cancer, ....she was the only member of my family who was into prepping and we had great times together, planning and buying etc. I have to go it alone now and it just isn't the same with no one to share it with. Which is another good reason to be a Monkey, right!!! However, I have high hopes that my son and his sons might be getting interested - they are seeing the news items and getting concerned....I mean, you have to be totally ostriched (head in the sand) to not figure out that something is coming and it's not good!

13. weegrannymush

weegrannymush Monkey+

Actually, I never even thought of my knitting as a barter item but you are right! So....I guess I had better start looking for yarn on sale to start stocking up on it! Maybe even start knitting socks and storing them, lol! The sky's the limit....I'm inspired, haha! And thanks for the friendly wave!

14. GrandpaDave

GrandpaDave Monkey++

Isnt that why your here... to learn a few things from us old fat men ;)
    dont sell yourself short... I have a sharp mind, you know what skills you have and what you still want to learn.... that in itself is a huge step and anything I can do to help you achieve those goals I will gladly do... because that's why I'm here

weegrannymush likes this.
  15. weegrannymush

weegrannymush Monkey+

Thanks, Granpa Dave! These replies to my posts have been an encouragement to me to struggle on with my preps. As I said in a previous post, I know I probably will not survive the Big One (whatever form it takes) but I am aiming to at least be prepared for ice, wind and snow storms, flooding, economic downturn, etc., the main difficulty with my survival being the lack of "protection" and "security"....I will have no way of fending off the hordes if and when that time comes. However, if I can manage to get through storms etc., I will feel that I have accomplished something - very few people in Canada seem to be worrying about prepping although there are some groups online. Maybe they are all just being very secretive, as we are advised to be! Getting supplies of prep-oriented items (lighting, heating etc.) is also VERY difficult here. I usually have to order from the States and then the S/H and Customs can be prohibitive and a lot of US companies do not ship to Canada. Anyway, enough whining.....I have just received The Survival Template so will be studying that. And I have my Excalibur dehydrator to keep going (although I am not too impressed with the shelf life of dehydrated foods). I think I am probably doing as much as any 80 year old woman, with arthritis, could be expected to do, so I wont be so hard on myself any more. It's just that I have this sense of urgency that time is running out.......

Thanks again, everyone, for the encouragement!

16. goinpostal

goinpostal Monkey+++

I've had pretty good luck finding gear on Ebay,Amazon,and Craigs list.I dont know how that works where you are at,but I thought I'd mention it anyways.

If you can knit,and,or crochet,it's not far off from making nets for fishing,or camo covers.
    If you sew,you can make,or repair everything from clothes,tents,bedding,shoes,and saddles,to stitching up animals,and people.
    You cant just look at a skill in a singular manner.Many skills we posses will cross over from one area to another with little if any instruction.
    Many skills that people think of as hobbies today,would be invaluable skills to have with a collapse of civil society.Sombody has to make things that we take for granted now.Things like clothes,bedding,candles,soap,furniture,canning,herbal remedies,baskets,pottery,ect.,ect..
    Any of a million things will need to be done,or made that can be traded to someone else with a different skill set.
    A set of examples is a farmer may trade food for someone to fix an extra saddle.He in turn may trade the saddle to a craftsman to make a table for him.The craftsman doesnt need the saddle,but knows someone who will trade him a rifle for it.He's an avid hunter,and bags a couple extra deer with that rifle.Now he trades the extra meat and hides to the saddle maker for some warm gloves,and a scabbard for his new rifle.
    In other words it will become a very much so"what comes around,goes around"barter economy.
    My advice is to not only learn as many hand crafting skills as you can,but also to learn how to broaden the skills you already have.
    You knit,but when the yarn runs out,do you know how to spin wool to make more yarn.Things like that.
    Matt

17. -06

-06 Monkey+++

WeeGranny, you have already accomplished more than most of us will ever do and that is to live to the eighties--congratulations lady. Your detemination is so very commendable. My "girlfriend" crochets lap blankets, caps, etc. and goes through several skeins weekly. Her husband "piddles" at repairing "rabbit eared" and flintlock shooters. They make a nice couple--well, she makes him look a whole lot better--LOL.
    On that #10 can-- I use a "church key" to cut triangular holes nearly touching around the entire top. With tin snips cut a 3"X3" door on the bottom leaving the flap as a shield(just bend it up after cutting the sides). Do that and you have an efficient little stove that will cook your meal, heat your water, and keep you warm to "boot". I used to keep a thin one foot square sheet of metal to set my cookers on. My old Optimus has been around for nearly 40 yrs and with that metal gives you a stable platform even on snow. Sure hate to see a bowl of soup spill.

18. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

weegrannymush...
    I learned an awful lot from my Grandmother and I was amazed at what she was able to do and most of the time, with hardly anything at all!
    My Grandmother was a wise Irish lady too!
    As a kid I spent nearly ever summer at her home...
    She is sorely missed by those of us that loved her and appreciated a kindred soul!

19. goinpostal

goinpostal Monkey+++

Nutnfancy did a Youtube vid on one that I've tried thats clean burning,simple to make,and inexpensive.
    Here's what you'll need:
    1 clean/empty 1qt paint can with lid.
    1 dbl roll of toilet paper,with the cardboard tube removed.
    1qt.of 80percent or better alcohol.
    A 1'ft strip of electrical tape.
    1 paint can opener.
    1 Bic lighter.
    Now making it is simple.
    Stuff the roll of TP into the can,and pour the hootch in till the TP is saturated,but not sloshing.Now tap the lid on securely,and tape the lighter,and can opener to the side of the can.
    When you're ready to use it,just remove the lid with the can opener,and flick your Bic.
    I dont know what the full burn time is,but I've used one to keep my 95 Suburban toasty for a full 10hrs,wth it in the 30's outside,and a window cracked.
    For cooking I have a 1gal paint can that I've punched 4evenly spaced holes in the side near the bottom for air intake,and 8evenly spaced holes on the side near the top for the exaust.
    I keep the 1qt can inside with 2 1/2pt bottles of 190proof hootch,fork,knife,spoon,multitool,2 tea bags,2granola bars,4 ramen seasoning pks,,2pouches of flavored oatmeal,and one pouch of flavored rice.I keep it all contained in the can with a snap on plastic lid.
    I like the paint can better than a 10can becouse of the Handy,dandy carry handle.
    Matt

1. JC Refuge
  2. Motomom34
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. 3M-TA3
  6. Brokor
  7. Thunder5Ranch
  8. Bishop
  9. Bandit99
  10. DKR
  11. AxesAreBetter