1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

Wanted Kelly kettle

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Trade' started by Bishop, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+

Looking for a used kelly kettle any one have one they don't use.
    Motomom34 likes this.
  2. duane

duane Monkey++

My thoughts on the Kelly Kettle, have 2, one at the house and the other cached. If I could find a good one cheap, I would have two cached. Good luck, they are well worth finding and using.
    Brokor likes this.
  3. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+ Founding Member

I keep hearing about Kelly kettles I guess it is time to pick one or two up.:)
    Brokor likes this.
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Moderator Moderator Site Supporter++

@Bishop you missed it. A few months ago @Brokor raffled one off. I would love one. They seem to be some of the best gear.
  5. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+ Founding Member

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  6. ghrit

ghrit Ambulatory anachronism Administrator Founding Member

Brokor and stg58 like this.
  7. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Used Kelly Kettles are sort of like a mess of quail. I have had venison, squirrels, catfish, ducks, just about every game animal, given to me except quail. Nobody ever gives away a mess of quail and neither have I.
  8. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+

I be willing to pay for it not looking for a hand out just not willing to pay the price of a new one pretty sure I could wield one up if I had to out of stainless also sure it would weigh more
  9. JC Refuge

JC Refuge Crisis Preparedness Provider Vendor

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
    Yard Dart likes this.
  10. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I eat vegetables. My friends are not vegetables.

Kelly Kettles are a superior product, and work every bit as well as advertised. At almost a hundred bucks, though, they are a little expensive.

KKs are like a cross between a rocket stove and a Mongolian Hotpot, specialized for boiling water.

The Hotpot has the advantage of a removable lid and can be used for soups and stews as well as heating water. With the lid off, they can also be used as a skillet, for cooking eggs and bacon, biscuits, and the like. And for searing stew meat. You can even boil pasta in them and then whip up a meal of trail spaghetti, with the sauce being cooked in the Hotpot, too.

The Hotpot can sit on a trail stove base just like a Kelly Kettle, or it can have the stove built in on the bottom.

A Hotpot is MUCH easier to DIY than a Kelly Kettle. All you need is a stainless steel pot with a lid, and a stainless steel glass (tumbler) of a suitable size to act as a chimney. The chimney only needs to project an inch or so above the lid, which makes for a pretty compact rig.

SS Glasses are available on Amazon for about $5.00 in several sizes, right up to the martini shaker size.

Amazon.com: New 26 oz. (Ounce) Large Cocktail Shaker, Martini Shaker, Malt Milkshake Cup, Polished Stainless Steel, Commercial Grade (1, A): Kitchen & Dining

Basically, you just drill & file a hole in the pot for the big end of the glass, and a slightly smaller hole in the lid to fit. The bead on the rim of the glass bears against the underside of the pot, and gets tig-welded 100% (inside the pot) so it's watertight. Once the hole in the lid is filed to a nice fit on the chimney, the "bottom" of the glass is cut away to open up the chimney.

This can be done on a grinder by grinding around the the corner of the "bottom" of the glass, and then hand-filing it smooth and dull.

Add two small wooden drawer knobs to make lifting the hot lid easy and it's good to go.

Here's the real deal:
    fire pot. fire pot 2.

And here's the DIY:
    diy firepot.JPG

(Not to scale, of course.)
    kellory and Ganado like this.
  11. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Guys and gals, the Kelly Kettle is a superior piece of equipment and worth every penny ten times over. Only an owner of a Kelly Kettle would say this. I think you could put aside $10 every week, and in a couple months you have your budget allowance. Done. Thank me later.

Camping Kettle, Equipment Store - KELLY KETTLE® - Camp Kettle boil water in outdoors fast in extreme weather conditions

And it's the value of the Dollar falling you might want to focus on, not the price of a kettle. Example: $10.00 USD equals 7 British Pound (£). Kelly Kettle is a UK family owned company. So, that $80 kettle only costs about £50.
  1. Bishop
  2. Brokor
  3. Bear
  4. Brokor
  5. Zombie
  6. GrandpaDave
  7. 2BrothersAdventures
  8. Tango3
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary