Wanted Kelly kettle

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Trade' started by Bishop, Mar 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Looking for a used kelly kettle any one have one they don't use.

Motomom34 likes this.
  2. duane

duane Monkey+++

My thoughts on the Kelly Kettle, have 2, one at the house and the other cached. If I could find a good one cheap, I would have two cached. Good luck, they are well worth finding and using.

Brokor likes this.
  3. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

I keep hearing about Kelly kettles I guess it is time to pick one or two up.:)

Brokor likes this.
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@Bishop you missed it. A few months ago @Brokor raffled one off. I would love one. They seem to be some of the best gear.

5. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Brokor and stg58 like this.
  7. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Used Kelly Kettles are sort of like a mess of quail. I have had venison, squirrels, catfish, ducks, just about every game animal, given to me except quail. Nobody ever gives away a mess of quail and neither have I.

8. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

I be willing to pay for it not looking for a hand out just not willing to pay the price of a new one pretty sure I could wield one up if I had to out of stainless also sure it would weigh more

9. JC Refuge

JC Refuge Emergency Essentials Store Vendor

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
    Yard Dart likes this.
  10. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Kelly Kettles are a superior product, and work every bit as well as advertised. At almost a hundred bucks, though, they are a little expensive.

KKs are like a cross between a rocket stove and a Mongolian Hotpot, specialized for boiling water.

The Hotpot has the advantage of a removable lid and can be used for soups and stews as well as heating water. With the lid off, they can also be used as a skillet, for cooking eggs and bacon, biscuits, and the like. And for searing stew meat. You can even boil pasta in them and then whip up a meal of trail spaghetti, with the sauce being cooked in the Hotpot, too.

The Hotpot can sit on a trail stove base just like a Kelly Kettle, or it can have the stove built in on the bottom.

A Hotpot is MUCH easier to DIY than a Kelly Kettle. All you need is a stainless steel pot with a lid, and a stainless steel glass (tumbler) of a suitable size to act as a chimney. The chimney only needs to project an inch or so above the lid, which makes for a pretty compact rig.

SS Glasses are available on Amazon for about $5.00 in several sizes, right up to the martini shaker size.

Amazon.com: New 26 oz. (Ounce) Large Cocktail Shaker, Martini Shaker, Malt Milkshake Cup, Polished Stainless Steel, Commercial Grade (1, A): Kitchen & Dining

Basically, you just drill & file a hole in the pot for the big end of the glass, and a slightly smaller hole in the lid to fit. The bead on the rim of the glass bears against the underside of the pot, and gets tig-welded 100% (inside the pot) so it's watertight. Once the hole in the lid is filed to a nice fit on the chimney, the "bottom" of the glass is cut away to open up the chimney.

This can be done on a grinder by grinding around the the corner of the "bottom" of the glass, and then hand-filing it smooth and dull.

Add two small wooden drawer knobs to make lifting the hot lid easy and it's good to go.

Here's the real deal:
    fire pot. fire pot 2.

And here's the DIY:
    diy firepot.JPG

(Not to scale, of course.)

kellory and Ganado like this.
  11. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Guys and gals, the Kelly Kettle is a superior piece of equipment and worth every penny ten times over. Only an owner of a Kelly Kettle would say this. I think you could put aside $10 every week, and in a couple months you have your budget allowance. Done. Thank me later.

Camping Kettle, Equipment Store - KELLY KETTLE® - Camp Kettle boil water in outdoors fast in extreme weather conditions

And it's the value of the Dollar falling you might want to focus on, not the price of a kettle. Example: $10.00 USD equals 7 British Pound (£). Kelly Kettle is a UK family owned company. So, that $80 kettle only costs about £50.

1. Motomom34
  2. Brokor
  3. Bishop
  4. Bishop
  5. Brokor
  6. Bear
  7. Brokor
  8. Zombie
  9. GrandpaDave
  10. 2BrothersAdventures
  11. vegasrandall
  12. Tango3