Kenwood TS-120S

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by norseman, Feb 28, 2021.

1. norseman

norseman Monkey

Hi. i am new to Ham Radio and trying to learn. I picked up a TS-120S at an estate sale with the power supply. I purchased a copper pipe antenna and have it mounted to the top of the house on an old dish mount. When powered up I only get numbers on the 14 band, other bands I get the decimal points. I have been able to pick up a couple transmissions but only one clear enough to understand. I have ordered a owners manual. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thank you

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  2. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Low gain from some 2sc460 transistors in the input stage to the pll board could cause that...

A related failure (from your description) is shown here:
    EI3FEB: Trio TS-120S PLL unlock fault

User manual pdf: http://www.vk4yeh.com/downloads/TS-120S_Operating_Manual_R1.pdf

Service manual pdf: https://w5rkl.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/TS120S_serv.pdf

Not sure what sort of copper pipe antenna you have, but I suspect it may be for a different band than that radio incorporates...more data (or pic) would be helpful in that aspect.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    3M-TA3 likes this.
  3. sdr

sdr Monkey++

Definitely post a pic of your antenna. I want to see that.

Find a good repair shop.

It's not that difficult to get licensed. The knowledge is very important for using HF.

4. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Find the local ham club. There are brains to be picked. Your first license, Technician, will limit what you can do with that transiever, so spend the time and get your General ASAP.

Really want to see that antenna. I've this suspician that it won't work with the 120.

madmax likes this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

A good Copper Pipe 102” long makes a dandy 10 Meter antenna, that a TS-120 will load up just fine once you solve the PLL out of LOCK situation... Make sure you string four 108” Ground radials on the roof, off the coax shield, and you will be fine...

norseman, madmax and techsar like this.
  6. norseman

norseman Monkey

This is the Antenna I am using. I picked up some electronic cleaner and sprayed and turned the band selector knob - didn't see any difference. googled Ham radio repair and don't find any one close.

upload_2021-3-1_17-30-36.

7. BTPost

What you gots there is an upside down Trombone Antenna... Looks to be cut for VHF...

8. sdr

sdr Monkey++

Amazes me how the center conductor can be a direct short to ground and still have a resonant antenna. Yesterday I built a 4:1 air coil balun and had to double check the schematic. Electromagnetic waves can be such a mystery to me. Probably that capacitance/inductance thing.

9. norseman

norseman Monkey

Thank you

10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

If you can measure the elements, we may be able to tell you what it's cut for. If those are metal to metal clamps antenna to mast, all bets are off. I can't see if the mast is pipe or something plastic. (Over due to see the eye quack.)

If it IS vhf, the 120 won't work with it unless it's accidentally 6 meters.

Cautionary note: Do NOT power up the xceiver on that antenna until you know better what you have. Damage WILL result. Next chance you get, beg, borrow, or steal a dummy load to use for transmission tests until you know more about the antenna.

BTPost and techsar like this.
  11. BTPost

I don’t think the TS-120 does 6 Meters.... As I recall... Nope, just checked.. It is a strict 5 Band Ham rig... Good for beginners, though...

12. norseman

norseman Monkey

Morning, there is pvc pipe between the antenna and the roof mount.

13. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

OK, a five bander will do fine for an all around transceiver learning box, but maybe not so fine for a tech license since 10 is the only band he can use pending general or above licensure. That said there may be a luck factor with that antenna if the dims happen to match up someplace on 10M.

@norseman The dimension check mentioned above is now high priority before the magic smoke is beckoned out of the box by trying to transmit into an unmatched whisker.

14. norseman

norseman Monkey

I have ordered a version 4 test manual, new dual antenna, and 2sc460 transistors.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  15. BTPost

Dual Antenna??? Please explain... Do you mean DualBand Antenna? If so, for which Bands? This is an HF Radio, and operates on 80, 40, 20, 15, and 10 Meters. ONLY...

16. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

@norseman

More nuggets for the sake of clarity -
    HF (or hf) normally in reference to frequencies in the ten meter and longer bands (10, 15, 20 and so on.)
    VHF normally in reference to 6M, 2M, 1.5M, and 70cm range of wave lengths
    UHF normally in reference to 400mhz and higher.
    NB, these are not exclusive, there are other bands.

NOTE ALSO:
    Dual and triband antennas usually refer to (and are generally confined to) 2M, 1.5M and 70cm. Dumping rf from an hf band rig into those types of antennas will let out the magic smoke. You get to try that once before breaking out your wallet.

17. norseman

norseman Monkey

I am looking at a Hustler 6 band vertical antenna that is 80 - 10 meters. I have not ordered yet.

18. norseman

norseman Monkey

I do appreciate your patience and advice.

19. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Keep looking. Until you have your ticket, you can't use it for other than listening, and the deeper you get into this, the more the ideas change. Have you started studying for the license?

20. norseman

norseman Monkey

Thanks for the advice. I have been reading up on it and ordered the manual. They are not giving in person tests around here so will have to schedule an on-line.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7