Kerosene stove -

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by ghrit, Sep 1, 2011.

1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Kerosene does NOT just go BAD. It can absorb Water, and then get Bugs growing at the Oil/Water Boundary, but it doesn't just GO BAD, all on its own. If you keep CLEAN Kerosene, in a sealed container, it will store, basically forever. I have burned #2 Diesel, in my Gensets that came from sealed 55USG Drums, filled in WWII, with No Issues. That is 6 DECADES, and there is very little difference between #2 Diesel and #1 Diesel/Kerosene, except the amount of dissolved Paraffin in the fuel. Gasoline is a totally different animal, and the New Gasoline is totally different than the stuff you GrandDad used, back in the day.

2. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

source for kero stoves

Just to note
    Kerosene Stoves
    has stoves, wick and pressurized. PRice points seem reasonable.

Hope this helps.

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Preliminary report

The bottles came, got some kero, and away we go.

First things first. They don't tell you to lube the o-rings, but if you don't, you will have a hard time stabbing the hose into the pump connection.

-The child proof caps on the fuel bottles are damn near adult proof, too. Betcha they won't leak, tho'. [oops]

-"They say" you can light them with a BIC. I say, take matches, the longer the better, but normal wood matches work well. A BIC might get you a warm knuckle. :D

-One thing that is intuitively obvious, it needs to be fairly close to level for proper function. What is less obvious is the size of a level area that might be desirable. I'd guesstimate that a foot and a half square would be ideal, but the test was successfully done on an 8X16 paver. It ain't gonna work on snow or ice, heat will melt your flat spot. If you are thinking to go that route, take a piece of plywood with you. [peep]

-It held a 2 brick test load on the pot supports easily, so it makes sense that a light pan with a quart of water would be perfectly OK. Not so sure a cast iron frying pan would work too well, especially with the handle adding eccentric weight. (Didn't test for that.) :rolleyes:

-I did not test the heat rate with a pot of water, but it turns out heat. Mine came with a wind screen, not tested, but sure would be a good idea to use it under any conditions. Very mild breeze blew things around during the test. The wind screen is a light material that will want something to support it. (Think sticks in the woods, dunno what you do on a snow field. [dunno] )

-"They say" that you can't see fuel quantity on the priming wick readily. Very true. "They" also say it takes practice to figure out how long to run fuel onto the wick. That is also true. The wick burns very sootily.

-Get used to the idea of kero stink. Probably would have the same problem with any other fuel. [monkeyeating]

-Get used to the idea of soot on the pot and every thing else. Whenever and wherever you see yellow flame, you will see soot. Best way to deal with that will be heating a pot of water after heating the stew or coffee, and using it to wipe up fuel spills (yes, Virginia, you will spill some) and wipe down the sooty spots.

-This initial test did not attempt to simulate field conditions, since my use doesn't contemplate carrying it afield. That said, were I to take it on a walk in the woods, I'd be sure to carry it in some way that soot and smell would not get into the rest of my gear. It is small, compact when folded, and light weight, designed for use on the move. It will do that nicely. [applaud]

4. weegrannymush

weegrannymush Monkey+

I finally got into town and bought some "fun" stuff for my preps. Took my 23-year-old grandson with me and he is beginning to get interested! He was fascinated in particular with the Leatherman tools (we didn't get one yet, more info needed first) and the emergency type camping gear. We invested a whole $8.99 in a MagicStove (big spenders, we are!) and also got some of the foil space bags (already have blankets). Also, lamp oils/wicks for my oil lamps.

But, Beast, the thing I really wanted to mention was that I have now got three empty tuna cans and I bought Paraffin Wax (nearly fainted at today's prices - used to be only a couple of dollars, but now almost ten, no rhyme nor reason on that one that I can figure) so I am going to try to make the little "stoves" for emergency use, with the cardboard etc., and the #10 can. And next time I have a power outage I won't have to put a huge fire on just to have a cuppa - I can use one of my tuna cans (hope it works!)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7