Second Amendment Kerry: Foreign students 'scared' of guns in U.S.

Discussion in 'Bill of Rights' started by Witch Doctor 01, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

politicalmugshot.
    Posted by
    CNN Political Unit
    (CNN) – Students in other countries assessing where to study abroad are increasingly scared of coming to the United States because of gun violence, the nation's top diplomat said Monday.
    Speaking with CNN foreign affairs correspondent Jill Dougherty in Tokyo, Secretary of State John Kerry said he'd discussed the situation with officials there who said students felt unsafe in the United States.

"We had an interesting discussion about why fewer students are coming to, particularly from Japan, to study in the United States, and one of the responses I got from our officials from conversations with parents here is that they're actually scared. They think they're not safe in the United States and so they don't come," Kerry said.
    He noted Japan's restrictive gun laws – which prevent private ownership of nearly all firearms, including handguns – and said the country was safer "where people are not running around with guns."
    In 2011, Japan sent 21,290 students to study in the United States, making it the seventh largest country of origin for international scholars. That was down 14% from the previous year, according to numbers from the Institute of International Education.
    Figures have shown international study is down markedly among Japanese students to all destinations, including the United States. Experts have attributed the decline to Japan's low birthrate, the expense of foreign study in a poor economy, and a desire among Japanese young people to remain at home rather than venture to other countries.
    Unlike the United States, the right to private gun ownership in Japan is not guaranteed in law. Individuals wishing to possess any firearm must obtain a license and demonstrate a reason for owning the gun.
    Out of a total 582 homicides in Japan in 2008, 11 were by guns.
    CNN’s Kevin Liptak contributed to this report.

I guess if they don't like the culture of the US they should consider studying elsewhere... I don't plan on changing my rights for 21,000 ore so temporary visitors...

2. BLKFJDC

BLKFJDC Monkey

I for one am glad they are choosing to not come. Maybe some of your citizen's can fill there spot in colleges.

3. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

Japan... where a women's inability to own a gun makes her gender disproportionately more vulnerable to violence.

Here in the US, where is the ACLU? Guns are the equalizer for the weak, disabled and smaller sized people. Restrictions on gun ownership and carry are anti-women and violate the American with Disabilities Act. Denying ownership is to condone assault on those who are not physically able to repel a larger, stronger attacker.

And ten round limits on magazines also discriminate against women, those of smaller size and the disabled. I can make up the lost of stopping power inherent in quantity of rounds by just using a larger more powerful round such as the .45. People with smaller hands and less strength in their hands and wrists do not have that option and must stick with a smaller caliber round and the 10 round limit meaning they are denied the stopping ability that I am allowed to have. This is discrimination. It is a violation of the concept of equal protection under the law.

Let's face it, being anti-gun and for magazine capacity limits as are most Democrats means they are NOT against the victimization of women, of the disable and of those of less physical stature.

Where is the ACLU?

AT

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7