Ketchup 'n' Fries hybrid

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by Motomom34, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I love this. This is so interesting and fun. As a gardener, my first thought was that I have to try this. Has anyone ever heard of this? I have heard about grafting but grafting potatoes and tomatoes???

[​IMG]
    http://homestead-and-survival.com/how-to-grow-tomatoes-and-potatoes-on-the-same-plant/

Here are the specific instructions to do it yourself:

How to Graft a Potato & Tomato Plant Together

Here is a history on Ketchup 'n' Fries. You can but the plants already started but learning to graft successfully is a great skill. A plant that grows both tomatoes and potatoes? Meet the Ketchup 'n' Fries hybrid now for sale in the U.S.

AD1 and Dont like this.
  2. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Interesting, but not for me.

Motomom34 likes this.
  3. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

They used to sell these in the back of some magazine I got... no idea which one.

Motomom34 likes this.
  4. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

We have done fruit trees at work Orange lemons grapefruit one tree grows it all.

AD1 and Motomom34 like this.
  5. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Gala apple trees 5 varieties on one tree....

Motomom34 likes this.
  6. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Home Depot was selling this plant last year..... I did not try it though it is interesting,

Motomom34 likes this.
  7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

That is so interesting. How tall did it get and at what age did it start bearing fruit? Also, the article said that the grafted plant would not produce as much. Did you see a difference in the amount that the trees produced? @Witch Doctor 01 @Bishop

8. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

still growing I've had it 2 years... one apple so far.. loaded with blooms so maybe this year...

Motomom34 likes this.
  9. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

It was a older Orange tree that was already bearing fruit did not really pay attention to how much it produces but that's how they make a sour orange tree product good fruit by buding good limbs to them

Motomom34 likes this.
  10. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Grafting to fruit trees is pretty simple. Making your own 5-in-1 tree is something anyone can do provided you have an established tree and access to cuttings from other types. I keep saying I'm going to put some different types of peaches onto our apricot tree but never have gotten around to it.

This is a more extreme example of grafting onto an existing tree... he says he doesn't like the variety so he just wrecks the host tree. You can just as easily add varieties to a tree without obliterating the original type.

Motomom34 likes this.
  11. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Some places it's illegal to do due to the different diseases that could be passed to other trees where I work the people that live around the green house can't have citric trees up to 5 miles away.

12. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

That is interesting. Tree disease spreads that far? I know it can hop from tree to tree but usually they are in closer proximity.

13. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Fruit flies citrus greening all kinds of stuff

Motomom34 likes this.
  1. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 11, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Starfruits!

In flight
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
  4. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
    Foot hooping
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 28, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
    I love Sundays!
  8. Alanaana
  9. Alanaana
    I'm always happier outside!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  10. Alanaana
  11. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  12. Alanaana
  13. Alanaana
  14. Alanaana
    Media

Garden

My herb garden loves the rain.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  15. Alanaana
    Somewhere... can you see it?
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 24, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  16. Alanaana
    Media

Blue_skies

And sunshine
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 20, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  17. Alanaana
  18. Alanaana
    Blossom
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Oct 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  19. Alanaana
    Tropical flowers
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Oct 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  20. Alanaana
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7