Keto diet with intermittent fasting

Discussion in 'Survival of the Fittest' started by Big Ron, Nov 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

The M&Ms are a necessity!

Gator 45/70, Alanaana and Dunerunner like this.
  2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

That's what got me into Keto, learning how destructive sugar and carbs can be, the entirety of the food pyramid is a lie. We are groomed from an early age to consume anything we want, whenever we want. Our bodies suffer and organs shut down from the massive cortisol effects and insulin pumping constantly -our cells reject insulin because there's too much and the body goes into emergency mode, using sugar as fuel and stores the rest as fat. If you are constantly eating sugar and carbs you never give your body a chance to burn fat as fuel. A cancer survivor started the product line "Orgaine" because he knew how to kick cancer and disease permanently. In order to burn fat as fuel you need to change not only your diet, but your gut biome. If you want to stop feeling lethargic and being disease ridden, clean up your diet and quit sugar. Eating one healthy meal per day and fasting in between will prove to be very beneficial.

That's all there is to it.

3. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Increasing fat intake to 60-70% and Protein 15-30% carbs will be made up by the increase in vegetable intake. Avoid white bread, pasta, rice, pastries, tortillas, literally anything made with wheat flour. Beer, wine and hard liquor should be avoided as there are carbs in the beverages and mixers. Drinking a glass of dry red wine or having a hard liquor cocktail like a whiskey or vodka would contribute about 5 carbs but without any nutritional value. It is recommended to avoid alcohol in favor of carbs from nutrient dense fruits and vegetables. This is the hardest part for me! Avoid dried fruit and trail mix containing dried fruits where the sugars are concentrated in the drying process. Consume fresh berries in heavy cream instead. Mangoes, bananas and table grapes are high in natural sugars and eating these will keep you from reaching or maintaining ketosis.

Honey and Agave are sugar, as is maple syrup and will lift you out of Keto. Juices can also be high in natural sugars and lack dietary fiber which is difficult to get on a Keto diet to begin with. Sodas should be avoided and replaced with some of the alternative beverages that are lightly flavored sparkling water. Many sauces like ketchup, and barbecue sauce as well as sweet pickles and relishes contain sugar. Replace these with additional spices, Tobasco, Fat rich mayonnaise and whole grain mustard.

Avoid meats that are cured with sugar such as honey baked ham or any ham that is sugar glazed or maple syrup cured, buy and consume a regular deli sliced ham instead. Use butter, coconut oil or ghee in your cooking.

This is by no means all inclusive and there are many guides for Keto online. The key is to, as mentioned above, to include intermittent fasting of at least 18 hours into your keto quest. This jump starts you body switching to available sources of energy. Everything will run just fine on ketones, in effect; better. The routine takes some getting used to and plenty of personal dedication to stay in ketosis.

One of my favorite treats are cream cheese filled jalapenos wrapped in bacon....

Gator 45/70 and Alanaana like this.
  4. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

I'm known for, what we call, "armadillo eggs". I use cream cheese, a small piece of pepper jack cheese, a piece of fajita chicken, wrapped in bacon and either baked or grilled. A Mexican guy who worked for me one time told me how to sort the jalapeños to weed out the really hot ones. Wash them and look for ones with the small yellow viens, sort them out. Then rub the green ones and any with a rough texture get sorted out. The mildest are smooth skinned and all green skin.
    I make them for most family get togethers.

Gator 45/70, Alanaana and Dunerunner like this.
  5. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey++

I wanted to share a little update. This week I have managed to stick with fasting until 2 pm or later. I've noticed that I feel sharper. I have a longer attention span and I'm not feeling "inconsolable cravings" like I used to. I'm also feeling full sooner which is exciting. I practiced yoga every day and have gone on walks.
    Another thing that I've noticed is that it's kind of challenging for me to sit still at a desk because I have more energy and want to be more active. This week I'm going to try to get more sleep. Do you have suggestions for this? I'm going to stop drinking coffee by 1. Overall, I'm starting to feel better, but haven't managed to kick the sugar YET.
    I can tell that when I want to much it is more out of habit than need.

Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  6. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey++

I'm nervous. I have a general doctor's appointment in about an hour. I hate going to the doctor, but I'll get this done. On another note, I've managed to stick with black coffee with an occasional addition of stevia. Also IF. For snacks I've switched to nuts. Now I'm trying to clean up the other things. Hope everyone is doing well. Oh and my favorite words are now, "no thank you" (to pizza, flaming hot cheetos, snack runs in the middle of the night, and the "C word.) I still need to ditch the ice cream though.

7. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I have fried pork rinds and guacamole dip. I mix a little diced tomato, jalapeno and lime juice into the guacamole. Other snacks can be celery sticks with no sugar added creamy peanut butter or cream cheese, cream cheese & sharp cheddar shotgun shells. Cream cheese and cheddar filled bacon wrapped jalapeno peppers, or just bacon. I like a dry smoked salmon Caesar salad with Marie's Caesar dressing with added minced garlic, too.

Gator 45/70, 3M-TA3 and Alanaana like this.
  8. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey++

This all sounds SO delicious! I think I have some avocadoes in the yard right now. Thank you for sharing your ideas. I've started to eat more chicken. I wasn't much of a meat eater (other than ribeye) for awhile, but I feel a huge difference in my energy levels.

9. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey++

I got my lab results from the full blood panel and my doctor said that my A1C is right in the pre-diabetes range. Other than that all of my other levels are very good. That is just the wake up call that I needed!

Gator 45/70 and Brokor like this.
  10. Brokor

Check out Dr. Berg on YouTube. He's got great information to help balance things out.

11. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey++

Thank you @Brokor. I will look him up right now. I'm also looking back through this thread trying to learn and apply as much as I can. this is Day #3 for me.

Gator 45/70, Dunerunner and Brokor like this.
  12. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey++

@Brokor is this lifestyle sustainable long term? How long have you been off of sugar? It helps me stay motivated to talk with people who have embraced it as a lifestyle. This is Day #6 for me it feels like a turning point where I'm starting to feel better. I don't think I got the full on keto flu, just a headache for 2 days that went away and I feel a little more tired.
    I think that I've eaten more meat than I have in a very long time and am going to try to have more fat.

13. Brokor

You can certainly keep this up indefinitely, but you can also do what's called "dirty keto" and make some compromises, but sugar and high carbs aren't on that menu either. Essentially, you can eat more or even split up your meals instead of eating only one, and you can choose to eat some foods that aren't fully grass fed/finished, etc. I've reached my weight goal, but I also like the health benefits so I stay to the Keto lifestyle. I do "cheat" once per week and maybe I will eat a Wendy's meal or some bread or pasta with a meal, but I won't make it a regular food item. I also have not broken the sugar ban -that's essential to me. You can make your own limits, but I wouldn't try anything different until after a couple months and you really see results. I hope that helps!

14. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey++

@Brokor This is super encouraging! Thank you! Congratulations on reaching your goal weight. Breaking up with sugar has been the most challenging because it's been a crutch, but also a goal for a long time. Yesterday felt like a turning point and I think adding more fat made a difference. I'm definitely going to stick with more stringent guidelines and shoot for at least 6 months and then I'll go from there. It's good to hear that the health benefits of keto make it worth sticking with.

15. Brokor

@Alanaana Just remember, if you do switch diets, keep in mind the keto diet works only because we cut-out carbs and sugar. If we go back to eating whatever we want, the high fat will be toxic to your system with unregulated sugar and carb intake. :cool:

16. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey++

@Brokor I'm glad you told me this. That would definitely defeat the whole purpose and my goals. I'm going to stay off the sugar and carbs then.

17. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey++

It's day #10 of Keto for me and I'm feeling pretty good. I did have a mild headache yesterday, but thankfully that went away. This week I'm going to be better about Intermittent Fasting. I'm surprised that this has been a little more challenging for me, but I'll try to stick with more of a schedule.
    I'm thinking of lifting some weights. Does anyone do strength training while on keto? Do you have any tips?

Gator 45/70, 3M-TA3 and Dunerunner like this.
  18. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey++

Day #17 of Keto and I'm getting the hang of this. Headaches are gone and my energy feels more consistent. This type of lifestyle is surprisingly much more affordable than what I was doing before. I'm enjoying the healthy boundaries with food and my clothes are starting to feel a little less stressed :LOL:I'm pretty sure I might live in the most expensive place in the US so the timing is perfect. I don't enjoy being around crowds so it's nice to know exactly what I'm looking for when I acquire supplies.

Brokor and Gator 45/70 like this.
  19. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey++

Day #21 of Keto! The headaches are completely gone, but now I have SO much energy that it's hard to sleep at night. I'm reading 300+ page books in one night. I'm thinking about taking a sleep aid like melatonin. What do you do for sleep?

Brokor and Gator 45/70 like this.
  20. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey++

Day #28 of Keto! I started running this week and it kicked my butt. So far I've gone twice. 2.25 miles the first day and 3 miles the next. 15 minutes yesterday and trying to decide if I want to run today.

I never thought that I would get tired of meat, cheese, and veggies, but this week I started to feel that way. Maybe I'll start adding eggs. Last night I was so happy to discover that I could have miso soup and nothing tasted better in that moment.
    What are your go-to staples? The less ingredients the better because I can be lazy.

Brokor, Dunerunner and Gator 45/70 like this.
  1. jefferson
  2. DarkLight
  3. 3M-TA3
  4. runswithdogs
  5. Ganado
  6. DarkLight
  7. Ura-Ki
  8. Yard Dart
  9. Yard Dart
  10. Yard Dart
  11. hot diggity
  12. RightHand
  13. cjsloane
  14. 3M-TA3
  15. Dark Jester
  16. wastelander
  17. tulianr
  18. Quigley_Sharps
  19. Quigley_Sharps
    [media]
    Thread by: Quigley_Sharps, Dec 22, 2013, 6 replies, in forum: Survival of the Fittest
  20. melbo
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7