Kid brought a Gun to My daughters school Tuesday

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by melbo, Sep 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Teacher said he was acting erratic. So did the Students we know. Actually got into a verbal argument with one teacher who is a friend of my wife's... Little did she no, he was acking...

This is a very rural town, well almost. The common denominator I see with most of these School shootings/violence, etc. is that they are all troubled kids who are on Prozac, Xanax, Zoloft or something like that. I know these are used to treat depression but do a search of the PDR, (Physicians Desk Reference) on these drugs, In the top 5 side effects, listed are Depression, Suicide, and violence... Maybe it's time to stop medicating our troubled children ands start raising them as they ought to be raised. With a Complete family, lots of love and sme discipline.

This one was on Xanax

2. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Kids don't need drugs melbo. I agree with you there. Unfortunately, it seems to be the magic bullet (so to speak) that adults use for kids because they don't want to deal with them. It's easier to put them on something than to actually have to work with them.

Hell, I was depressed as a kid (okay I still get that way). Did the doctors put me on anything? Nope. I worked through it. I was also pretty hyper...they didn't put me on anything for that either. It was dealt with both at home and at school...no forcing my parents to make me take ridlin or any other drug unlike some schools tell parents today.

This is what our world is coming to - let's drug all the kids. Shades of the 60's but not in a good way.

And it's extremely unhealthy, extremely!!!

3. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Amen brother

4. melbo

5. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

Back when I was in school, friends and I use to take guns to school all the time, for me it was normally a Sako AII is 22/250. It was in a hard case and would reside with one of the teachers during the day then when we were off home I would collect it again. The ammunition remaind with me. See, I live in teh bush and all my frineds hunted. So I would come t school on one bus and got to a friends farm after school which required a different bus. Hell at times there were enough guns in the teachers office to arm a company.....knives as well, we never did stab anyone.....I was guilty of adding my initials to a few things around teh school though.

Andy [beer]

6. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I can't ever remember not taking a gun to school, in my pickup of course and we didn't actually take them into the school. Things have changed though. Now they would lock you up for having one on the grounds...........sad.

7. Cousin Jack

Cousin Jack Knifemaker Founding Member

I used to be on a high school shooting team...THE HORROR!!

I would have been diagnosed with A.D.D. when I was a child...did I need drugs in order to pay attention in class? No, my dad's size 12 worked just fine.

8. melbo

most of these kids these days can't handle it

TV generation and they lack a lot of the ethic behind that kind of responsibility

9. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Reading your post Melbo?
    I have a 20 yr old daughter who is a Junior in College...

I owned a television..But I blocked MTV..She never watched The Simpsons...Married with Children..or anything all her friends were watching...I was strict with it...
    She was not allowed to spend the night with other girls unless I knew them, AND their parents...

and most of the time, I just let her have her friends at my house..That way I knew where she was and who she was with..Sometimes as many as 8 girls at one time....(she was a cheerleader, played softball , ran track ..and was in the Natl Honor Society..

I raised her alone from when she was 9.....

I asked her recently if I was too hard on her.....She rolled her eyes and said "Mom?? You were normal!"

High praise from a 20 yr old...

I was strict...and oddly enough both my children thank me for it today...

10. melbo

CRC, during High school myself I felt that my folks were strict. I had a midnight curfew as a senior. The pronlem with this was that I went to a private school an hour away. Some of my friends were an hour away from school the other side. I was always the first to have to leave. I could not be in a car with those my folks didn't know. I couldn't spend the night out very often. I was often told "no" on a request to go omewhere... I hated it.

I left for College at 17, by age 21 I was thanking my parents for the decisions they had to make. Took a few yrs but I saw they were right.

11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

'Sfunny how perceptions of parents change. Sure you've heard it before, but it's remarkable how parents get smarter as we get older --. Mine were also pretty strict (I don't remember all the rules, it was quite a while ago) but they didn't do too badly overall. I've lived thru it.

12. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

He gets to stay up to midnight, I had to be in bed by 10pm. On the other hand we both went to college at 17 (I could of gone at 16 but my parents wouldn't let me skip the last year of high school even though I had enough credits to graduate).

Funny thing is I was the designated driver for going anywhere as a kid, I could borrow the car, go out and do stuff and take my friends (who could not borrow a car). But we lived in Hawaii on the island of Kauai at the time and over there it was rural and long distances from one place to another. The only stop light was in the middle of a cane field and geez you truly had to work at it to get in to trouble back in 1973-1974.

Then again I do remember my senior year of high school when one kid went crazy with a machete (well the military kids who didn't know better were calling it that - most of us watching were calling it a big knife), one of the teachers went in a back window and disarmed him. I think he got a hold of some kind of drug - definitely not marijuana and was just a bit high...he looked a bit silly in my opinion and quite frankly most of us weren't too worried about him. Probably should of been - we were all way too close and he could of most likely done serious injury to several of us if not killed at least one or two before being subdued (we were all out in the open and it was a multi leveled school area - something you'd have to see to understand the whole high school concept - no real way to explain it). It was a senior year to remember. He came back to school 2 days later. Suspension back then wasn't much as you can tell.

13. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I know I took guns to school several times even liveing in the city but they stayed in my trunk and it was when I was going to be headed to the range or out to the country to go hunting after school. I dont think most would say my folks were strict at all in the sence of a lot of rules but it was alwayse a matter of accountability. I didnt realy have a curfue (wouldnt have done a lot of good since my folks worked graveyard shift) and was able to stay up/out as late as I chose but when it came time to get up in the morning it also didnt matter weather I had been in bed for 10 hours or 30 minutes I had to get up and do what I was supposed to do. If I screwed up and got in trouble there was none of this crap of wineing to them and haveing them fix it for me if I screwed up I had to pay the price for it and take the concequences. I think thats truely the biggest problem for a lot of kids now days, they screw up and thier folks are called and rather than jumping thier case for screwing up they tend to jump to thier defence and let any authority (be it teachers, principles or cops) know that they are in the wrong for trying to make the kid accountable for thier actions and get the kid off the hook teaching them they can do as they please and there is no price to pay. I got to do as I pleased but I also had to pay whatever price came of my actions, to few kids now learn there is a price and it has to be paid.

1. Motomom34
  2. TnAndy
  3. oil pan 4
  4. duane
  5. Motomom34
  6. duane
  7. DKR
  8. Motomom34
  9. Thunder5Ranch
  10. Tully Mars
  11. DKR
  12. chelloveck
  13. AxesAreBetter
  14. Mindgrinder
  15. arleigh
  16. ED GEiN
  17. RightHand
  18. Ganado
    [IMG]
    Thread by: Ganado, Oct 20, 2016, 16 replies, in forum: Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions
  19. GhostX
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7