Kid's trading their heritage for a new Iphone.

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by wideym, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I have on a few occasions been present at my favorite gun shop when some widow shows up with her late husband's collection, it's pretty sad some times! Being the smart sort that I am, I usually head them off before the owner or sales staff get to them and politely tell the poor old lady to list them and sell them on her own! Few listen and just want to be rid of them as quickly as possable! There has been junk and there have been near priceless treasures brought in to that shop, it's how I managed to get my hands on one of my Colt Rifles ( most folks don't know Colt made rifles well before the M-16) And I have scored a super sweet Garand and a few 1903 Springfields! Yes, it's sad, but that's life when no family shows any interest in any thing their parents or earlier generations had and valued!

2. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

My father bought 200 acres in 1951 when I was 8 yrs old. From that day on I worked on the farm after school,weekends and all summer. I have never been to a ball game of any kind and was able to go the picture show on the weekend if I wanted to walk the 4 miles to town. My father taught me just about every thing,driving a car,farming,welding,riding a horse,hunting,being polite to people and saying yes sir and no sir to people I met. I was baling hay for every body in the parish when I was 12. I had my own .22 revolver at 12 yrs old and never been in jail . The only problem was I thought I knew everything so I quit school in the eight grade. But I went on and managed eight water systems and even was the public works director for a town of about six thousand people. I could keep on but that’s enough to show what hard work will get you. Be reliable and work hard that is what America is about.

3. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

I picked up my .700 Nitro Express Holland and Holland Double like that at a pawn shop. Older Lady was struggling to get something out of the trunk of her car so I went over to help her and there laid the most beautiful elephant gun I have ever seen. I asked her why in the world she was taking that into a pawn shop where they might give her a nickel on the dollar of what it is worth. She insisted on taking it in, so I carried it in for her. Dude offered her $300 for it, and I became forever banned from that shop when I said "You have got to joking right? That gun sold new for a min $10,000 and they ain't gone down in price!" ( I know a bit about H&H guns as my dad collects them and they are his favorite topic in ANY conversation :) ) So she asked me if I would be interested in buying it............ She said if it sold new for $10,000 then I will sell it to you for $5,000 and throw in the big box of bullets in the back seat of the car. So we left the pawn shop and went back to her car and I swear I saw the shop owner give me a double bird in the reflection in the door glass LOL. Soooo I ended up spending the rest of the day scraping together $5000 and that night walked away from her house with the gun and 40 wood boxes 5 rounds each of factory load ammo. I shot it a couple of times just for kicks Literally KICKS....... and then resold it to my dad for the same money I paid for it. He has it in his display now. LOL he likes to rub it in that with the engraving and gold inlay that particular gun is worth around $150,000-$160,000 now days............ And that I can have it back when he is dead LOL.

They ladies husband went on big game hunts around the world and had passed away a few years previous. She was selling the house and everything but did not know how to sell the guns. I would have bought the entire collection of big game rifles she had but at that time scarping together 5k was a epic feat....... I did put her in touch with my dad and he ended up buying them all and a year ago despite being in their late 70s the two of them got married and are living happily ever after bouncing between Florida and Arizona. Funny how things work out sometimes. Kind of weird though that her first husbands guns are in her second husbands collection LOL.

4. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

That's a nice story T5R. Congrats to your Dad and Mom,,,

5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

When my dad died I got most of his guns and tools, the other kids were happy to take the stereo and home electrons and flat screens and electric junk.

Zimmy, SB21, HK_User and 2 others like this.
  6. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Nope not my mom but a fine Lady that just wants to be called Janet...... but I still consider her to be family :) LOL my brothers hate her and are worried to death she is going to steal their inheritance. I look at it this way despite being a very wealthy man our father raised us to work for anything we wanted and when we left home it was with a vehicle of questionable reliability and a suitcase of clothes......... nothing more and nothing less. I asked once why he never treated us like the other well off parents treated their kids. He said if he had then we would have grown up expecting others to do for us, that which we could do for ourselves. Looking at those other kids now in their 50s he was right, most of them turned out to be worthless sacks of crap and several of them still living at home and milking mommy and daddy as a way of life.

7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

We had a easy time with Grand Dads collection, he made a list of who wanted what, made his own list of who was gonna get what, and sold off the Rifles he knew would cause troubles between a few! Took me almost 20 years to track one of them down, and I had to pay big money for it, but I now have his most prized rifle, a 1895 Winchester made in the 30s in .30/06. He completly restored it to better then new and carved one of the most beautiful stocks ever for it!
    Some day my brothers and I will also inherent Dads collection, mostly pistols, but there is a full set of 100 year anniversary 1911s that he had commissioned from Colt, each represents a branch of the U.S. military and the S.N
    Of each is the year the service was founded! I also have his service 1911 and the one he was given by the secretary of the Navy when he retired, the s.n. is his service number and the left side of the slide is engraved with a 3/4 profile of his first command and hull number

duane, Mountainman, ghrit and 3 others like this.
  8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

From the time I was a kid dad shared what antiques were and I grew up using them lie regular tools . The very same with my own children, We would take them to town and go through an antique store and the kids would say that's no antique we use that stuff .
    I am surrounded by antiques , even few antique guns as well. DSCN4555.JPG
    It is a .32 rimfire . not shootable of course no ammo and some of the parts are missing inside .
    It held 5 shots an you had to dismantle the cylinder to load it. very early 1900s or there about .
    Dad referred to it as a belly buster ,even at it's best in it's day was not very accurate . Strictly a self defense weapon for the time.
    I was the last person to shoot it .
    as a kid I took rubber bands as you see the one remaining on it, and found a shell in dads junk and took it to the brick yard and fired it against a cement block , the lead fractured into powder but did nothing to the block.
    Dad had no history on it, but it was his and now mine, some day it will be my son's.
    One thing is certain it had a lot of use ,practice any way .

oldawg, Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I inherited my dads due to default, Older brother had already burnt down 2 houses by Head-up-ass-syndrome.
    We were not about to let him have the guns.
    Couple of years later I gave all of them to a younger brother who has better facility's for security reasons.
    I know they are well taken care of.

oldawg and Ura-Ki like this.
  10. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

It's a shame it's missing parts. .32 Rimfire isn't impossible to find. Easy option is the reloadable cartridges, but I've shot some modern production .32 Rimfire, and saved the spent brass for my collection.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/8421/category/338/category_chain/578,342,338/product_name/KA1202+Aluminum+Rimfire+Case+-+.32RF+(.310+Round+Ball)

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Keywords=32 rimfire ammo

My .30 Rimfire 1874 Marlin is a tip-up, and the cylinder will slide/fall right off once the barrel is lifted. The rod under the barrel that looks like a cocking lever on a cap-and-ball revolver is for knocking the fired cases out of the cylinder. It actually works very well.

.30 rimfire.

Brokor, arleigh, oldawg and 4 others like this.
  11. wideym

wideym Monkey+++

I've learned long ago that family history and artifacts are just like the Constitution, We are just the placeholders for the next generation. You don't sell off rights paid for in blood by your forefathers for a little comfort today, your descendants will curse your name and spit on your "history" once they find out what you sold so cheaply and cheated them out of.

12. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

If our wives sold our guns for what we told them we paid for them .. there will be a great weeping sound that can be heard from the beyond. ;)

13. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

These snowflakes just don't get it. I for one would not feel guilty buying a gun from them because they want the latest I phone.

14. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Every tool I own or anything with a title, deed, or serial number goes to one of my four kids. The others get an equivalent value in life insurance. He's been instructed to make deals as he sees fit to accommodate his siblings but to use his own judgement with veto.

The other kids might want a random this or that but having built thier own lives aren't much interested in the land or family keepsakes. I took the fight out of it, I hope.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Dad said , do your givin while your livin, so your knowing where it's goin.
    Neither my brother nor I wanted much, and I pretty much got stuck with most every thing including my brothers shop when He retired . I've given away tons (literally) and have tons to go.
    My kids are not the accumulator I was ,nor am I what my dad was, but the kicker is having an intimate appreciation for the stuff and value the materials I can use repairing things others cast off. this runs into trouble when you run out of space to put it all.
    My brothers' kids have no interest in antiques , kind of the more mature millennial . so finding a direction to funnel family heirlooms gets complicated.

Gator 45/70 and Capt. Tyree like this.
  16. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Time to call American Pickers.

Gator 45/70, 3cyl and Zimmy like this.
  17. Navyair

Navyair Monkey++

Amen. Could have had some pretty decent souvenirs and we weren't allowed to bring any back.

Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
  18. Navyair

Navyair Monkey++

Part of the left's plan and Alynsky's rules to demonize something. They will make guns less popular than cigarettes, given a chance. All of us need to get more eloquent in verbalizing the need to support the 2A. Not to badmouth the NRA, but their message just isn't working.

19. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I think we are past the soap box, and likely past the ballot box, so now we need to kick the ammo box outta the chopper and get to work!

oldawg and Gator 45/70 like this.
  20. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Smart Dad !
    I might of met him !

chelloveck, Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7