Killing power of cartridges

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by ochit, Jul 2, 2018.

1. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

Use a .45-70 and be sure

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

I'd be tempted to try a 56-50 Spencer, but I don't hunt as I don't like getting shot at and now I'm just a bit long of tooth.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

One time my brother in his late teens was being talked into trying yo take bear that was rooming the dump. He wanted to borrow dad's 30/30 ,and dad was doing his best to talk him out of it .
    Dad indicated the dangers of taking on a significant predator ,
    He had no hunting license,
    the bear could tear the car apart .( 51 ford convertible )
    My brother was not an experienced hunter.
    Dad was not concerned about the gun's capacity to kill the bear, but his son's skill in making the shot ,even if all the other parameters were met . He had no familiarity with that particular gun at all.
    Add shooting at night and it gets worse.

Inexperienced shooters read these threads looking for guidance for the right gun to buy and not the right training to get.
    Feature an 800 lb. grizzly charging from 100' at full kick 35 MPH and the wind is behind him blowing your direction.
    Your favorite gun is neatly packed in the bottom of you back pack. because it can't get wet or dirty.
    You brought a 22 cause your cheap, and some one else said it was capable .
    Some one talked you into a 9mm because it has 15 rounds but your not practiced with it taking on a moving target bobbing up and down and coming directly at you over mixed terrain .
    How well armed do your feel ?
    A bigger gun might make more noise, but if you can't hit a vital point what good is it ?
    Something you practice with and the price of practice is not a deterrent .
    big bullets are expensive . they no doubt do the job but not if you miss because you lack practice with live moving targets .
    If the recoil with a heavy bullet is an inhibitor, there is another issue making the crucial shot at the critical moment.
    This is no shooting arcade , if you miss, the bear WILL EAT YOU . this is no video game.

Gator 45/70 and Alf60 like this.
  4. D2wing

D2wing Monkey+

When I was much younger I did the big blast and recoil of my 06. I am of the opinion that bigger and faster is much better. In Nam when I manned a Ma deuce 50 cal. I felt 10 feet tall. Not a big fan of 45-70, didn't do Custer any good, and I have seen slugs just go right through a deer without much damage, sometimes the deer don't know they are shot. I have seen them DRT too. No bullet is magic. We have all seen deer run away without any heart left no matter what you shot them with. But not far. I do like my 30-30 and .35 Remington for sneaking through the woods, But you pay your money take your choice. Nowadays I think my Tikka 7-08 is about perfect for stand hunting. I like flat shooting high velocity expanding bullets for range accuracy and killing power Knock down power doesn't exist. I have never seen a bullet push critter over. They all just punch a hole, fast expanding bullets tear up a lot more flesh. heavy slow bullets just move through usually deeper with less damage. Now if you are shooting solid objects like a brick wall.it might be different. I support your right to shoot what you think is best. Some meat hunters like the big heavy stuff. Less bloodshot meat. Bigger game needs bigger bullets in my opinion.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7