Kimber Pro Carry: Range Report

Discussion in 'Range reports' started by E.L., Jan 7, 2008.

1. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Kimber Pro Carry: Range Report

http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2008/01/kimber-pro-carry-range-report.html

Every person that owns a recently manufactured 1911 style pistol owes Kimber a debt of gratitude. That may seem a strange statement coming from a fellow who eschews Yonkers for Hartford, but it is true. [​IMG]Kimber almost singlehandedly revitalized old slabsides during the wondernine revolution of the 1990s. With the introduction of the Kimber Custom in 1996, 1911 aficionados could finally purchase the pistol they had previously paid their gunsmiths to build for them. Nice triggers, match grade accuracy, decent sights, and a beavertail grip safety was standard as was the extended thumb safety. Kimber quickly rose to the forefront of the 1911 scene, and they held that position firmly until they decided in 2001 to place a firing pin safety and an external extractor on their re-vamped pistols. Until that time, Colt, and other 1911 manufacturers were put on notice. If they did not supply what shooters wanted, the shooters could go elsewhere for less money and effort. As a result, Springfield, and even Colt began to listen to their customer's wishes.

When I found a Series One Kimber that was designed for carry, in a pawn shop at a good price, I found it irresistible. There were things about the pistol that I did not like, but the addition of night sights coupled with very little apparent use made it a deal to me. I purchased the pistol and took it home for a going through. [​IMG]I was not surprised to find the pistol devoid of lubricant. Many people barely lubricate their firearms. There were metal injection molded (MIM) parts in the pistol. Some folks are concerned about MIM parts, but today, they are a fact of life in a production gun. I cleaned and lubricated the Kimber Pro Carry, and I tuned up the trigger. Even though the plastic mainspring housing is a functional non-issue, I swapped it out for an aluminum one from Smith & Wesson. I reinstalled the original slide stop, as the previous owner had stuck an extended one on the gun. I screwed on some cocobolo grips, smacked in a Wilson 47D magazine, and I was off to the range.

45 caliber slugs exit the Pro Carry's four inch bushingless barrel. A captured recoil assembly controls the forged steel slide. The Kimber Pro Carry has a steel slide and an aluminum frame. Lightweight Kimber frames are machined from solid blocks of 7075-T7 aluminum, supposedly the hardest and strongest available. [​IMG]Lightweight Kimbers have been factory tested for up to 20,000 rounds without showing any appreciable wear. After shooting and toting my scandium framed SW1911, I was ready for another lightweight carry gun.

I loaded two rounds in a magazine to start off with. Then I ran a full magazine through the pistol. I shot a magazine sideways, upside down, I let the pistol flip around. I blasted off two magazines as fast as I could. It never failed to feed and function. Recoil would best be described as snappy. The lightweight frame of the SW1911PD made it a breeze to shoot. The lightweight frame of the Commander sized Pro Carry made it a bit tougher to manage. The pistol was not uncontrollable, but you knew the pistol you were shooting was not a Government Model. The trigger was crisp with no creep, and very little take-up. Pull was about four pounds.

I put some index cards out at 10 and 15 yards, and swapped the grips back to rubber. With aimed fire, I found the Pro carry shot a little low for me, although it was consistent. It grouped well. By compensating for elevation, I could nail what I wanted.[​IMG] I have to wonder if the Tru Glo sights atop its slide were meant for the longer Government Model.

As I continued to pound lead out of the handgun, the BreakFree and Tetra grease I had lubricated it with began to seep out of the pin holes and slide rails. That is good. I just wipe it off and keep shooting. All in all, at this range trip, I shot 270 rounds of Winchester White Box, Fiocchi, Federal HydraShoks, and a trusted friend's reloads. The pistol consumed it all with methodical glee, never failing to go bang. The trigger never changed. It stayed sweet and consistent from the first shot to the last.

It was easy for me, a Colt kind of guy, to see why so many people like Kimber firearms. The Pro Carry was accurate, and reliable. It was a fine pistol that came in the box ready to do its job as a carry gun. After another 250 trouble free rounds, it will have earned its place in my carry gun rotation.Labels: 1911's, Kimber, Range Reports

2. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I carry a TLE Pro Kimber. The only problem I have ever noted was their new external ejector. I got so frustrated with it that I sent the weapon back to Kimber for repairs. They replaced the slide with one of the original ejector models and the problem was solved. It feeds anything I stuff down it's throat and spits them out where I point it.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7