Kitchen Queen

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by jasonl6, Apr 20, 2011.

1. jasonl6

jasonl6 Monkey+++

Anyone have one of these stoves? I have a smaller house and in the winter would like to supplement my heat with wood (been burning wood all my life just not in my new home). Thinking about building one of these or possibly buying and wondered if anyone can tell me how good they work.

Kitchen Queen

[​IMG]

Thanks
    Jason

chelloveck, BTPost and hank2222 like this.
  2. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

I don't own one. I'm not exactly sure of the brand; but I've used one. The one I used was an older model.

Pretty awesome unit for cooking and heating. I wouldn't want to depend on it for summertime use because of the heat output.

3. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Thats one of the reasons why the old folks had kitchens seperat from the rest of the house....

4. jasonl6

jasonl6 Monkey+++

Right they use to have summer kitchens. Also this one has a summer grate. Basically moving the firebox up 10" and buy flipping a lever the heat only heats the top not the entire oven. Just something i have been thing about having. I'm redoing my kitchen in the next 6-8months and am planning to add some source of heat/alternative cooking. If i can't find one at an auction sometime I'll be building one of these or buying one with my OT check.

Jason

5. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Solid fuel cooking stoves rock.

That's one cool unit....a good solid fuel cooking stove is on my shopping list / list of building projects. A highly desirable item of survival homestead equipment.

6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Jason, You should seriously look at incorporating a thermalsyphan Hot Water setup in the firebox, on that stove. As long as your burning fuel, at least you can use some of the BTUs to make hot water, while your at it. .....

7. jasonl6

jasonl6 Monkey+++

If you look at the link it shows a hotwater kit for it. It's simply some 1" SS pipe and fittings in a loop. It works on the princible of heat rises. Here is a pic

[​IMG]

Looks like a sheet of 1/4" plate will set me back about $400. My neighbor has a plasma cutter and does favors for me. Might have to just buy one :) Project needs LOL. Powering it won't be a problem after SHTF but gas might :-(.

Jason

8. Nadja

Nadja RIP 3-11-2013 Forum Leader

Now this looks to be a very promising unit. If anyone has one or knows of anyone having one, would sure like to hear a few opinions on it.

9. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

Jason, you could also put a Wanted Ad in paper. I know my Grandma has an old wood burning kitchen stove in an outbuilding. So surely others might as well. Who knows, you might get lucky.

10. beast

beast backwoodsman

i learned to cook on a 'home comfort' wood range
    once you knowhow to use one and build a fire properly
    controlling the heat is no problem
    but it takes more than just building a fire
    dif woods make dif heat and things like
    a smoldering bank of coals is hotter than a wood fire
    your drafts and dampers make a world of dif too
    ive cooked/heated with close too 100 dif types of wood stoves
    if i had the $ id make one that would be much more efficient
    heat and fuel wise