Knife Expert

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Dunbar, Jun 2, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Dunbar

Dunbar Monkey++

Hello All;

I'm raising meat rabbits, and I am in need of a good knife for skinning and gutting. I've got a ton of knifes, but none seem to work all around. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dunbar[bow]

2. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

One of the members here made some really great little Bird and Trout knives, he called them. I bought two of them and use one extensively in processing bunnies. Look for threads by Valkman and you can PM him to see if he has more of them.

Brokor and Tracy like this.
  3. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

The best!

Brokor likes this.
  4. Dunbar

Dunbar Monkey++

Thanks Guys, will look him up.

5. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Dunbar likes this.
  6. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

Have you given a Mora knife a try? I use one exclusively for dressing deer now. I dressed out a couple rabbits with one too.

For the price you sure can't beat em'. They come in super sharp and super-duper sharp.

Dunbar and Brokor like this.
  7. goinpostal

goinpostal Monkey+++

The best skinning/fillet knife I ever had,I made out of a section of a saw mills bandsaw blade.
    You can take a hacksaw blade,and make a pretty good one as well.
    Grind it to the shape you want it,sharpened edge and all.Then heat it red hot,and let it air cool in the freezer for about 15min..Once cold,take out and leave untill room temp..Now take a pencil torch,and heat just the cutting edge to red hot.Quench in used motor oil.Wrap the grip end in para cord,or tape.Put on your finish edge,and your done.
    The big bandsaw mill blades make larger blades that are better for skinning larger critters,or fish,where finese is not needed as much.They also dont usually need retempering.
    The hacksaw blades tend to be brittle,and need retempering.They are best for making blades under 6",and work better for skinning smaller game where more control is needed.Matt

8. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I don't have any around, nor the Small Skinner which would've also worked very well. Too bad you weren't here before I quit making knives! :)

9. Dunbar

Dunbar Monkey++

Sorry I missed you Valkman, sounded like a good fit for my need.

Hispeed I looked at the Mora, I think it will work fine, Thanks for the heads up.

Dunbar

1. 3M-TA3
  2. GOG
  3. JLRhiner
  4. Hanzo
  5. Hanzo
  6. Andy the Aussie
    ...it's my excuse anyway... ;) [IMG] [IMG]
    Thread by: Andy the Aussie, Dec 21, 2018, 8 replies, in forum: Blades
  7. STGThndr
  8. Bandit99
  9. Hanzo