Knife fight! Victorinox vs Wenger SAK.

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Oddcaliber, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Got plenty of Victorinox but only one Wenger. Build quality is equal in both. So fellow monkey's,chose your weapon!

AndyinEverson and Ura-Ki like this.
  2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Wenger, Hands down!

Tully Mars, Oddcaliber and snake6264 like this.
  3. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

Wenger

Oddcaliber likes this.
  4. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

box cutter.

Ganado and Oddcaliber like this.
  5. Alf60

Alf60 Monkey+++

AR 15

techsar, Oddcaliber and VisuTrac like this.
  6. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

Leatherman. I've got a SAK but I honestly don't know which one, the pliers are too small and the cutting blades don't lock, toothpick and tweezers are nice though, now I just have to find it.

Oddcaliber likes this.
  7. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

I wouldn't call myself any kind of expert but when I learned there were actually two companies making them, I'd had the ones that were easy to find for many years (Victorinox) so I made a point of finding Wengers to compare. I finally decided they were both crap, and haven't had one since. I get multi-tools and I get tactical folders now. I found a small mutli-tool with clipper instead of pliers from Craftsman which I like a lot, and separately either a CRKT or a Kershaw. I switch up which of each depending what I'm wearing and where I'm going but always one of each, minimum.
    (among other things, of course)
    any mention of me owning firearms is purely fictional for entertainment purposes only.

Oddcaliber likes this.
  8. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson Black Powder Monkey

Owned both and I like 'em both...but prefer the looks and feel of the Victorinox line of knives.
    Oddly enough I don't own either at the moment ....gotta do something 'bout that...:D
    Andy

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    oldman11 and Oddcaliber like this.
  9. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Andy, there all over E bay. And cheap too!

AndyinEverson likes this.
  10. AndyinEverson

Yeah...that could lead to trouble though...
    E bay , spring break , some spending cash...What could go wrong...? :eek::D
    Andy

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    STGThndr and Oddcaliber like this.
  11. AndyinEverson

Just checked out the Victorinox web site..they still make my two favorites :
    The Spartan and The Adventurer...New this year are Walnut scales for those models...Hmmm....something to think about.
    Andy

12. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I didn't know there were two companies but on closer examination it appears I received one Winger as a gift. I've probably had a dozen different finger cutters over the years from fat to thin.

My favorite SAK by far was a Victorinox Hunter with a locking blade (no finger threat), gut hook, can opener, and corkscrew. There was probably some other stuff but I forget. It worked great and was larger than most. It fit my level of adventure nicely.

13. nmpops

nmpops Monkey+++

I've always preferred Victorinox and I would assume that most others do too as Wenger was bought out by Vic. and they are no longer made.

Oddcaliber likes this.
  14. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Bowie

Oddcaliber likes this.
  15. nmpops

nmpops Monkey+++

If Wenger is so great,why did they go bankrupt and get bought out by Victorinox? and now what models they kept are branded a Vics!

Oddcaliber likes this.
  16. Capt. Tyree

Capt. Tyree Hawkeye

Being an owner of Victorinox pocket knives for more than four decades, the Tinker has earned a place as part of my EDC. There are all kinds of collectors of these knives. I think there is a growing undercurrent of collectors searching for original (pre-Victorinox buy-out) Wenger pocket knives of all shapes and sizes. I would say if you have a few original Wengers, hang on to them because they could grow more valuable to that small group of collectors.

Oddcaliber likes this.
  17. STGThndr

STGThndr Monkey+

Victorinox, just because I have one, an "Officier Suisse". From what Ive seen there is minimal difference between the two... IIRC they are owned by the same company nowadays?.... Top quality knives and I hope they never devalue them by outsourcing to China (or where ever)
    Added- That said I have a Leatherman in a pouch attached to the sheath my old Camillus USMC knife is carried in. Perfect for survival if mated with a khukri (or other largish chopper).

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    Oddcaliber likes this.
  18. nmpops

nmpops Monkey+++

I know this is an old thread, but all 84 & 91 mm Victorinox SAKs are stamped "Officier Suisse" on the back side of the main blade. Officier Suisse is not a model number i.e. the 91mm Standard model with a Corkscrew in the Spartan. Same knife with a phillips screw driver instead of the corkscrew in the Tinker.

Oddcaliber likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7