Knife Perceptions

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Hanzo, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

2. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

That is another project on my book for this "period".
    I need to work all of the knives and get them in good sharp shape..... :)

3. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I could definitely use some knife sharpening schooling from you , Sir. I can sharpen a knife ,,, but I can't sharpen a knife like that.

GrayGhost, Gator 45/70 and Hanzo like this.
  4. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

If it is sharp enough for you, it is sharp enough. Just work at it and learn. My knives have gotten sharper over the decades.

GrayGhost, Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  5. Hokyjoe

Hokyjoe Monkey

When I get bored, I check and see if my knives might need a "touch up". They really don't though as they are all scary sharp. All I really do is succeed in nicking myself while in the honing process. Crazy, huh? LOL!

6. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

There’s a lot of things The Finlander didn’t pass down to me, this skill being one of them. Can you really blame him though? [afro]

7. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

The sharp knife isn't the one that will cut you, it's the dull one. Sharp knives have the least resistance and use the least amount of force. They are the most controllable and follow the path you hands guides for them. Dull knives require more force and will not follow the line well. They are the ones that cause accidents and their cuts take longer to heal.

That was what I called "knife 101" when I used to use my knife for a living and one of my first conversations with a new hire. I drove more than one of them to emergency care when they didn't follow that guidance.

GrayGhost, Hanzo, Meat and 4 others like this.
  8. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

The only interesting knife is a sharp knife Hanzo 2020

Hanzo, Meat and 3M-TA3 like this.
  9. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

When I read the thread title I thought of short blade puukko bird knives and Canadian belt knives with blades and handles in near equal proportion. I'm not chopping down trees with my blades, but for cleaning game they're just right. The perceived need of a long Rambo style knife in camp seems to be driven by knife sellers rather than users.

GrayGhost, Hanzo, SB21 and 2 others like this.
  10. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

I was just touching up the edge on my “Shed Knife” as I read this !!

89861067-F843-466B-B992-EDF6A344B716.

GrayGhost, Hanzo, gunbunny and 2 others like this.
  11. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

The Hanzo 2022 knife would probably have an 8-9" blade and a 6" handle. The blade will be just a tad thicker than a machete. The handle will have a little swell towards the butt to retain grip when swinging. Balance point should be just above the handle. Can choke up for fine work or hold the back end of the handle for power. Thinking if you hold it in the forward or middle part of the handle, the knife will be wicked fast. And it should bite deeply because of the speed and control.

While I am not a huge fan of how it looks, Matt Graham's primitive knife at Condor comes close in terms of dimensions. I do like his sheath. I have never handled one so don't know when the balance is. And carbon steel would be my preference. I have a liking for spring steel.

12. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Many years ago, I was a Boy Scout, and my Scout Master was a former Marine. He taught us that a safe knife was a sharp knife!

GrayGhost, SB21 and Hanzo like this.
  13. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

I made something kinda sorta similar...
    20211001_142025.

Hanzo likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7