Knifemaker support

Discussion in 'Blades' started by melbo, Oct 4, 2006.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

If you haven't already visited these sites, take a look at our own homegrown works. Valkman, Cousin Jack and soon to be (Can't say)

http://www.dlknives.com/
    http://goldsworthyknives.com/

??????????

And BigUglyOne has made some stuff....

2. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Cool really nice sites to go with great craftsmanship!
    Keep up the great work, and when i get my better half out of school and working again get the buy button ready!

3. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Nice of you to post this thread....;)

Yup... if you need a knife, (and even if you don't)....support our own....:D

These 3 guys make knives that are hard workers and great values!!!!..... IMHO:)

Hey didn't Monkeyman make a couple as well????.... I've got one..:)

And we have another up and coming bladesmith you can't talk about?:eek: .... yet....

4. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I know if Bear made more he'd have no trouble selling them! :)

I appreciate the plug but am not taking orders and probably will not until next year sometime. I'm fighting liver disease again and trying to fend off a 2nd transplant by taking shots and pills that have nasty side effects and this will last 6 months. On top of that the wife isn't well AND we have to move, probably in November (even though we can't sell our current house). The new house will be great but how we're going to get from here to there is anyone's guess.

5. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Yeah, My un-named was Bear himself. I now he's working on a site and didn't want to blow the secret. He has made me an awesome knife and is currently working on another project that we'll get some pics of soon....

Prayers to you Valkman. Hope all goes well with that.

Was just wanting to bump CJ and Valks work..... ;)

6. Bear

Thanks Valkman and Melbo....

Not sure on that site anytime soon....

I'm just a "fool around" tool maker.... blacksmithing is my true passion.... newbeing it right now..... stumbling my way through it....

The real Knifemakers are guys like Valkman.... his stuff is just awesome....

Sorry to hear about the setbacks Valkman.... I'll be sending some prayers your way for you and Mrs. Valkman for a speedy, healthy turnaround.... Take Care of yourself....:)

7. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I will be praying for you Don. Both for your health and home sale.

Valkman and CJ are both incredible talents.

8. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I have an interest in fighting knives, one of my favorites being a Randall no. 1; does anybody here make anything comparable to those?

9. Valkman

I do not SC. I made a couple of real big fighters for Iraq but never finished them. Just haven't had time to work on new stuff. The plan is to move and have the new shop, then add a vertical mill and practice with it a while. Once that happens and I beat this liver stuff all will be well. Heh.

10. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Good Luck Valkman, let me know if there is anything I can do to help out.

11. Bear

I'm pulling for you Valkman.... let me also know if there's anything I can do for you....

Take care of yourself.... Maybe during the down times you can work on some knife designs or modifications... sort of a projects and ideas notebook for the the new shop and mill.... ;)

12. Valkman

Hey Craig!

I've tried that and it doesn't work well for me. Many knifemakers say the same thing - they just have to grind it out. I will profile out a new one and then just start grinding until it "feels" done.

None of that going on now - treatment week 2 of 26 and I feel like I'm gonna die! Even my fricken teeth hurt! :D

You have me wanting to try forging at the new place - that would be awesome!

13. Bear

Forging is Fun!!!!!

You'll enjoy it.... Get well soon so we can swap "flames and burn" stories....:eek:

14. BigUglyOne

BigUglyOne Monkey+++ Founding Member

Don, I didn't know you were sick. I hope you get well soon and completely ! Your wife, too !

Thanks for the mention Melbo, it's finally cool enough to get back in the shop, time for fun.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7