Knives for Minuteman & Ghrit

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Valkman, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Cool - I love that dinner guy!

2. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Before SM, may main appreciation was for ammo dependent weapons but you guys have added a whole new interest in my life. Valkman, it's all you fault. I foresee a new line item on my budget coming up just for knives.

3. Valkman

Well there you go - I'll take the blame, and the orders! LOL

Working in stainless now and going to come out with new models. This is an exiciting time for me! At the Knife & Gun show yesterday there were makers whose stuff made mine look very basic and simple, but at 8 months I'm doing ok. I beat myself up comparing my stuff to theirs and I shouldn't, then again my stuff doesn't cost $600. [yukface]

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Guys, I am delighted with the small utility Valk made for me. Get your orders in, you will NOT be disappointed. :D

5. Valkman

Glad you like it - they are handy! :D

6. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I want a Damascus Machete with Snakewood... And a big Cow bell. And maybe a Hummer, (the truck).....

7. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

You're going to need a lot more money melbo, a lot more money!!! [cof]

8. melbo

I know T, I think I'll start charging knifemakers for SM site space first, then I'll hit up the smut guys next

9. melbo

women are free cuz it's always ladies nite at SM...lol :eek:

10. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

b::

11. Valkman

12. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

:shock: How far down the list are the [stirpot] s

13. Valkman

Dang, I just found out that Damascus knife for Melbo is going to be delayed.

Indefinitely.

[dancindevil]

14. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

[camo]

15. melbo

NO, I meant "knifemakers" as in those guys that wish they were SM knifemakers
    not you guys! Hell, I'd not even think about charging you for my knives [peep]

send more knives

16. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

[LMAO]

17. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Is it getting deep in here or what?

[cof]

18. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

:eek: The only thing I could possibly disagree with you on would be your verb tense. :lol:

19. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

It might be Halloween but it felt like Christmas here today. I was up way before the alarm. Drove my Daughter to school a half hour early. Waiting in the rain for the doors to open builds character. I'm at the Post office at 08:00.The mail is'nt put out until 09:30 but I'm waiting.My box is down on the far end,the end that they start on.At about 20 after I hear them put something in it.I open it up and there is that little key with the tag on it. I Love getting those keys. It means that there is something that is to big to fit in the box.I go down to the big boxes open up the right one and there is a box from Don.

Out to the car and like a kid at Christmas I'm tearing this thing open.Then I'm holding my custom made Valkman original 4" Damascus Utility Knaife with ironwood handle and mosaic pins.WOW! The pictures don't do this thing justice.This is a work of art.

I have been collecting knives for a long time and have some big name makers knives in my collection,but this one is as beautiful a piece as I've seen in a long time.
    Don certainly has a talent.Thanks for the early Christmas!!

20. Valkman

That's neat - making poeple happy is alot of fun!

I did a critical part of Melbo's Damascus last night, tapering the tang. You know, by the time you get done grinding the blade you've removed 2/3 of the steel, so it becomes very handle heavy. I drill lots of 1/4" holes in the tang to reduce weight, then hollow grind the tang to reduce more weight and finally taper it on a flat platen. It winds up looking like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7