Knives for Minuteman & Ghrit

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Valkman, Oct 27, 2005.

1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I've been wondering how engine tuning or bead blasting would look on a blade. Ever seen it done? Bead blast might leave a super frosted finish.

2. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Lots of guys use bead blasting as a finish, and also to prep the tang for putting the handle on. I think a blast cabinet is going to be my next purchase - very handy for making knives.

3. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Ghost, you have a point there, you definitely have a point. I was sooooo wrong in my verb tense it was pathetic. It isn't getting deep, it's way over deep!

Valkman, when you do my blade, do me a favor please.

Do not, please do not...drill quite so many holes in the tang. I tend to like a heavier handle. It's more comfortable for me, just like my guns, I prefer the balance to be closer to my hand (another reason I dont' care for Glocks).

4. Valkman

Well, I drilled 10 small skinners and yours last week and have ground them to 120 grit - doing 220 grit tonight while melbo's Damascus is in the tempering oven.

Hope that doesn't ruin it for you - of so let me know and we'll do something else. I could buy another piece and start again and sell this one - got money coming from selling two knives!

5. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

It's all good Don, it's all good...don't sweat the small stuff and at this point in life it's probably all small stuff. :D

6. Valkman

One thing about these - they'll always be handle heavy with a 2" blade and a 5" handle no matter what I do! ;)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7